Mailing List Archive

cisco nexus vpc hybrid topology
Hello,

is anyone heavily using nexus vpc in hybrid topology ?

I want to maintain my standard L2 network ( with STP as loop avoidance mechanism) with the possibility to configure some vpc when is possible or when is useful.
In the vpc documentation STP is evil, connecting switches in daisy-chain discouraged but I can't rebuild from scratch all my campus network.

Simplifying I have 3 building connected each-over with a couple of dark-fiber: a triangle with double edges.
In each vertex I'm going to place a couple of Nexus9k.

I'm interested in vpc to aggregate the couple of dark-fiber interconnecting each building but:

- a triangle topology require STP ( I guess)
- In each building the existing switches ( Catalyst 3560) are mostly in daisy-chain and can't be connected to the local couple of nexus via a dedicate vpc port.

I understand that what I want is not what Cisco suggests, but I don't see any issue of doing that.
I simply prefer vpc in hybrid topology that no vpc at all

Thanks

Marco
Re: cisco nexus vpc hybrid topology [ In reply to ]
Why not L3 your network instead?  Use VxLAN for 'interior' core, and vPC
at the edges.  And migrate away from STP completely?  Build from the
core outwards.