Mailing List Archive

disable or rate-limit icmp-unreachables IOS-XR
Hi,

when looking at amsix peering template, I found that generating of icmp
unreachables shall be disabled.

Is that a good idea? Some say it breaks PMTU
(so I am wondering why this was also present in a pppoe virtual-template
just seen on the list here).

Also, several secure-your-network checklists insist on setting it on at
least all external interfaces.

Or rate-limit

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9901(config)#icmp ipv4 rate-limit unreachable ?
<1-4294967295> One ICMP unreachable message in x milliseconds(default is
500ms)
DF Fragmentation needed and DF set (code4)
disable Disable rate limit of ICMP messages
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ASR9901(config)#

Is this "per chassis" so it will send maximum 2 icmp unreachable messages
per second ?

What is a "good" value to keep things like PMTU working but also the device
happy ? 10ms ?

Thank you for your help,

J?rgen.