Mailing List Archive

AAA on IOS-XR (NCS540)
Hi all,
I’m going nuts here trying to get my AAA set up on an NCS. The goal is to authenticate against TACACS on VTY lines but either use the local user database or line/enable for console access and I cannot get it right. Sometimes my VTY authentication fails the first time and it requires you to put in your password a second time, even though the TACACS servers are definitely available. I cannot get console access to work properly at all. I’m running XR 7.1.1. Here’s the aaa portion of the config:

tacacs source-interface Loopback1 vrf default
tacacs-server host 192.168.45.126 port 49
key 7 ******
single-connection
!
tacacs-server host 192.168.46.126 port 49
key 7 ******
timeout 3
single-connection
!
username admin
group root-lr
group cisco-support
secret 10 $secretpass
!
aaa group server tacacs+ TACACS
server 192.168.45.126
server 192.168.46.126
!
aaa authorization exec CONSOLE local
aaa authorization exec default group TACACS local
aaa authentication login CONSOLE local line
aaa authentication login default group TACACS line!
!
line console
password 7 ******
authorization exec CONSOLE
login authentication CONSOLE
!
line default
password 7 ******
timeout login response 30
authorization exec default
login authentication default
exec-timeout 0 0
access-class ingress access-protect
session-timeout 120
transport input ssh
!

I’ve tried different permutations of the line console config and can’t get the right combination. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks in advance,
evt

Re: AAA on IOS-XR (NCS540) [ In reply to ]
Do you have the control-plane set up?

tacacs source-interface Loopback100 vrf default
tacacs-server host 11.11.11.11 port 49
key 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!
tacacs-server host 22.22.22.22 port 49
key 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group acs-tacacs
aaa accounting system default start-stop group acs-tacacs
aaa accounting commands default start-stop group acs-tacacs
aaa group server tacacs+ acs-tacacs
server 11.11.11.11
server 22.22.22.22
!
aaa authorization exec default group acs-tacacs local
aaa authorization commands default group acs-tacacs none
aaa authentication login default group acs-tacacs local

line console
exec-timeout 10 0
!
line default
password 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
exec-timeout 30 0
session-timeout 30
transport input ssh
!
vty-pool default 0 20

control-plane
management-plane
inband
interface all
allow all peer
address ipv4 11.12.12.12
address ipv4 11.13.13.13
address ipv4 11.14.14.14

Re: AAA on IOS-XR (NCS540) [ In reply to ]
No, all I have is:

control-plane
management-plane
inband
interface TenGigE0/0/0/27
allow all
!
interface TenGigE0/0/0/23.1550
allow all
!
interface TenGigE0/0/0/25.1550
allow all
!
!

What exactly does this do? I mean, I have an inkling, but I wouldn’t expect TACACS to work at all if I was missing a config to allow it to respond to the router.

Re: AAA on IOS-XR (NCS540) [ In reply to ]
This isn't at typo is it?

aaa authentication login default group TACACS line!

should it be
aaa authentication login default group TACACS line <<< no !

Re: AAA on IOS-XR (NCS540) [ In reply to ]
control-plane is like an access-list, only the specified IP's will be able
to ssh to the box.

Re: AAA on IOS-XR (NCS540) [ In reply to ]
This is our config to do just that. Running 7.0.2

aaa authorization exec LOCAL local
aaa authorization exec TACACS group TACACS local

aaa authentication login LOCAL local
aaa authentication login TACACS group TACACS local

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group TACACS
aaa accounting system default start-stop group TACACS
aaa accounting commands default start-stop group TACACS

aaa group server tacacs+ TACACS
server 10.0.0.1
server 10.0.0.2

tacacs-server host 10.0.0.1 port 49