but didn't want to be exposed in the interrium if possible.

TIA,
max
Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
6.4.x if I'm not mistaken. RSP440 has no 64 bit support last I read.

Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
On 12/11/2020 16:24, Curtis Piehler wrote:
> 6.4.x if I'm not mistaken. RSP440 has no 64 bit support last I read.

You are certainly not mistaken:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/eos-eol-notice-c51-737819.html

"Note: 6.4 is the last release that will be supported for this HW
bulletin. Please refer to EOL12467 for EOL milestones for 6.4 release."

--
Tom
Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 10:06:11AM -0600, N. Max Pierson wrote:
> We're trying to figure out what the last train of XR software that can run
> on the RSP440 for a 9006. We're running 6.2 right now but I can't seem to
> find any docs that state what the last version of support is. We're trying
> to patch/upgrade a few 9006's from CSCvv09115
> <https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvv09115> but aren't sure
> if 6.7.2 will run on our RSPs. We're getting rid of these in a few months
> but didn't want to be exposed in the interrium if possible.

6.5.3 works and has a SMU for that bug.

It is officially not supported, as in "we do not even try to see if it
boots", but for us, it works ok (so far).

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thursday, 12 November 2020, Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 10:06:11AM -0600, N. Max Pierson wrote:
> > We're trying to figure out what the last train of XR software that can
> run
> > on the RSP440 for a 9006. We're running 6.2 right now but I can't seem to
> > find any docs that state what the last version of support is. We're
> trying
> > to patch/upgrade a few 9006's from CSCvv09115
> > <https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvv09115> but aren't
> sure
> > if 6.7.2 will run on our RSPs. We're getting rid of these in a few months
> > but didn't want to be exposed in the interrium if possible.
>
> 6.5.3 works and has a SMU for that bug.
>
> It is officially not supported, as in "we do not even try to see if it
> boots", but for us, it works ok (so far).

Careful on the 9901 (64bit): with this SMU on 6.5.3 you end up with just
loopbacks, mgmt and bundle-ether interfaces as the actual interfaces are
not recognized anymore. Happened on 2 different boxes here. Rollback is
needed.

The 32-bit SMU was released back in august, there was sufficient time to
get this right. Instead the 64-bit SMU fix was just released yesterday, so
it looks like they had to rush that one.

Trivia nr 2: There is no SMU yet for the recommended releases like 7.0.2
and 6.6.3.

fun!

--lukas
Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
Never ends :)

-Aaron

Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
6.6.x should work too. After that I think everything else is the 64bit.

What is everyones opinion of the 64bit XR?

Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 10:04 PM Aaron <dudepron@gmail.com> wrote:

> 6.6.x should work too. After that I think everything else is the 64bit.
>
> What is everyones opinion of the 64bit XR?

Been working fine enough for us. Some UI stuff got shook out in 7.x
which made SW upgrades make more sense.
Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 04:59:38PM -0500, Aaron wrote:

> What is everyones opinion of the 64bit XR?

No particular opinion other than the fact that every new A9K deployment here is eXR (64-bit) as new HW doesn't run on 32-bit anymore.

A few things I noted:

1. ssh latency (latency for each keystroke typed) within CLI is reduced/noticeably improved over 32-bit.

1b. access to 'admin' CLI context is noticeably slower in eXR, as admin runs in different (sysadmin-vm) VM.
However, recent eXR builds (6.5.1 and newer) appear to have improved this quite a bit now, that it's not as bad.

2. Non-stop routing (NSR) is on by default for many protocols. This is *really* nice!

3. Upgrading software is somewhat improved / less convoluted with RPMs (compared to 32-bit's PIE installs).
Golden ISO is certainly a lot easier "install, reboot and forget" improvement over turboboot, when blowing away
everything and starting over fresh for a clean install.

FPD upgrade process and corresponding CLI commands are also improved/easier to understand and follow.

4. Some commands (such as 'admin show alarms', 'admin show env power') are cleaned up in eXR and improved.

5. **knock on wood** ISSU actually, kind of.. seems to work? (omg)

Long story short, for SW sake, I don't think eXR makes lot of difference over cXR for most users. But, the main reason for us to standardize to 64-bit is HW support. Every new A9K deployment we have is eXR/64-bit now, because new HW (99xx chassis, Lightspeed LCs) will only run on eXR.

HTH,
James
Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
> > What is everyones opinion of the 64bit XR?
>
> No particular opinion other than the fact that every new A9K deployment
> here is eXR (64-bit) as new HW doesn't run on 32-bit anymore.
>
> A few things I noted:

> 1b. access to 'admin' CLI context is noticeably slower in eXR, as admin
runs in
> different (sysadmin-vm) VM.
> However, recent eXR builds (6.5.1 and newer) appear to have improved
> this quite a bit now, that it's not as bad.

Yes, that is a real GREAT feature....
Docker processes crashing and respawning,
Sometimes restarting the "Router" vm producing outages.

One Workaround they gave me after half a year investigation
exists (until you reboot the box),
SMU for that is existent but will not solve the "real" problem
they told be
But create installing the SMU creates DOWNtime,
And reading that there will be side-effects and
No real instructions on how to recover from that will prevent me from
Trying to patch anything on it.

No real solution for that, while the PC-Linux folks had those problems 5
years ago,
don?t know weather fixed or not.

Support can not give correct working instructions for how to collect
logfiles from those virtual shit
Or copy it between them since one and assume that one can ssh/scp between
them but sth.
Is not setup the expected way on that expencive piece of junk

Installing SMU from 6.5.1 to 6.5.3 too 2 weeks because of WRONG update
instructions
And faulty assistance from TAC.

The docs say that Patch-packages installation is incompatible with single
SMU installtation.

Nothing learned from the people who did engeneer real Operation-Systems
and patch/update procedures
(for example SUNos ?) but using hobbyist clash everything together for
their potential high end devices.

Hardware for forwarding may be good,
The "IOS-XR" with different syntax may be usefull,
Marketing slides look great and "ISSU" etc. sound great

But having >10% downtime and lots of time for debug sessions with TAC
Poking in the nebula and not knowing what they do leads to the result that
Getting the ASR9901 was a fault.

Just my bad experience,

J?rgen.

Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
Hi,
might be just my feeling but 7.0.2 seemed to boot slightly longer than
our other 32bit boxes (with slightly older linecards). It was almost 25
minutes.

Pv

Re: ASR9k RSP440 [ In reply to ]
Wait til you see XRv9000 boot 7.0.2, put on some coffee... lol

-Aaron