interface EOBC0/0 (Ethernet out-of-band channel) has increasing counter IF-MIB::ifInErrors.
No visible problems with the box, though.

Should I worry about this ifInErrors growth?

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
Eugene Grosbein wrote on 29/09/2020 10:08:
> Walking SNMP ifTable for Cisco 7606/RSP720-3C-GE I've found that virtual
> interface EOBC0/0 (Ethernet out-of-band channel) has increasing counter IF-MIB::ifInErrors.
> No visible problems with the box, though.
>
> Should I worry about this ifInErrors growth?

possibly. If the errors are significant, you should try reseating the
rsp720 and possibly some of the cards to see if that helps.

Nick
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
29.09.2020 18:56, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Eugene Grosbein wrote on 29/09/2020 10:08:
>> Walking SNMP ifTable for Cisco 7606/RSP720-3C-GE I've found that virtual
>> interface EOBC0/0 (Ethernet out-of-band channel) has increasing counter IF-MIB::ifInErrors.
>> No visible problems with the box, though.
>>
>> Should I worry about this ifInErrors growth?
>
> possibly. If the errors are significant, you should try reseating the rsp720 and possibly some of the cards to see if that helps.

Define "significant" :-) This router has uptime over 1 year.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
sharp increase recently (weekly, daily, hourly). I'd be more concerned
with daily and hourly (or less).
How frequently do you see them and what is the amount?

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
29.09.2020 20:44, Aaron wrote:

> sharp increase recently (weekly, daily, hourly). I'd be more concerned with daily and hourly (or less).
> How frequently do you see them and what is the amount?

Yesterday I've created mrtg graph for the counter and it shows steady rate in a range of 16-32 per second.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
Eugene Grosbein wrote on 30/09/2020 05:14:
> Yesterday I've created mrtg graph for the counter and it shows steady rate in a range of 16-32 per second.

I'd say that is sup + line card reseating territory.

Nick
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
30.09.2020 19:03, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Eugene Grosbein wrote on 30/09/2020 05:14:
>> Yesterday I've created mrtg graph for the counter and it shows steady rate in a range of 16-32 per second.
>
> I'd say that is sup + line card reseating territory.

What does it mean?

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
You may need to ask TAC. Unfortunately I do not know.
He is suggesting reseating all cards. Starting with the Supervisor.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
Aaron wrote on 30/09/2020 20:11:
> He is suggesting reseating all cards. Starting with the Supervisor.

correct. power down the box, carefully reseat all cards, power up, see
if that fixes it.

If it doesn't fix it, then open a TAC case. If the unit isn't under
support, then you have a problem because this type of error could be one
of the cards, or the sup, or the backplane and it's really hard to tell
which without swapping units out. If you can check out the EOBC on the
line cards using remote login, that might give useful information, maybe.

Nick
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
you could deduce if it is a line card or by adding 1 line card at a time.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
01.10.2020 3:03, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Aaron wrote on 30/09/2020 20:11:
>> He is suggesting reseating all cards. Starting with the Supervisor.
>
> correct. power down the box, carefully reseat all cards, power up, see if that fixes it.
>
> If it doesn't fix it, then open a TAC case. If the unit isn't under support,
> then you have a problem because this type of error could be one of the cards,
> or the sup, or the backplane and it's really hard to tell which without swapping units out.

This 7606 is the core router of our network, it runs for many years without visible problems and current uptime's over 1 year.
It would be hard doing such things with the core without any evidences other than some counter increasing.

At the moment, all I want is to know what is the counter designed for, what can it growth mean?

> If you can check out the EOBC on the line cards using remote login, that might give useful information, maybe.

How do I do that?

Thank you very much for your patience.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
Eugene Grosbein wrote on 01/10/2020 03:23:
> This 7606 is the core router of our network, it runs for many years
> without visible problems and current uptime's over 1 year. It would
> be hard doing such things with the core without any evidences other
> than some counter increasing.
>
> At the moment, all I want is to know what is the counter designed
> for, what can it growth mean?

Can you post the output of "show eobc"?

eobc is the ethernet out-of-band connector and is the main control plane
communication mechanism between the sup and the line cards. If you're
seeing errors on the link, then this probably means that there's a
physical problem somewhere on the backplane.

>> If you can check out the EOBC on the line cards using remote login,
>> that might give useful information, maybe.
>
> How do I do that?

Try: "show platform eobc all"

or:

# remote command module <number> show interface <intname>

I can't remember whether you can examine the EOBC using "remote command"
- it's been a long time since I've logged into a 6500/7600.

Nick
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]

http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc.txt
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
Eugene Grosbein wrote on 01/10/2020 09:58:
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc.txt

this looks interesting:

> Counters collected at Idb:
> Input Errors = 3199810
> Output Drops = 0 Giants/Runts = 0/3199810

runts are packets which smaller than the minimum packet size, i.e. this
suggests a physical problem.

You have dual supervisor on this box. Can you do a failover to the
secondary and see if that stops the input errors? This will localise
the problem

Nick
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
01.10.2020 17:49, Nick Hilliard ?????:

> this looks interesting:
>
>> Counters collected at Idb:
>> Input Errors = 3199810 Output Drops = 0 Giants/Runts = 0/3199810
>
> runts are packets which smaller than the minimum packet size, i.e. this suggests a physical problem.
>
> You have dual supervisor on this box. Can you do a failover to the secondary and see if that stops the input errors? This will localise the problem

This is possible, I'll try.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
01.10.2020 17:49, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> You have dual supervisor on this box.
> Can you do a failover to the secondary and see if that stops the input errors?
> This will localise the problem

Do I need to disable NSF (non-stop forwarding) to localise the problem?
I guess both RSP should exchange data routinely when NSF is enabled.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
02.10.2020 12:16, Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> 01.10.2020 17:49, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>
>> You have dual supervisor on this box.
>> Can you do a failover to the secondary and see if that stops the input errors?
>> This will localise the problem
>
> Do I need to disable NSF (non-stop forwarding) to localise the problem?
> I guess both RSP should exchange data routinely when NSF is enabled.

Or I could just eject stand-by RSP out of the chassis.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
02.10.2020 12:24, Eugene Grosbein wrote:

>> 01.10.2020 17:49, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>>
>>> You have dual supervisor on this box.
>>> Can you do a failover to the secondary and see if that stops the input errors?
>>> This will localise the problem
>>
>> Do I need to disable NSF (non-stop forwarding) to localise the problem?
>> I guess both RSP should exchange data routinely when NSF is enabled.
>
> Or I could just eject stand-by RSP out of the chassis.

So I've changed redundancy mode to to RPR (Route Processor Redundancy, was SSO) then stand-by RSP was ejected physically.
I expected that errors would stop or would not change at all but neither happened.

Instead, error rate decreased significantly but not ceased (12:25 was the moment):
http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-day.png

Also something strange happened with these stats that I consider as "fabric utilisation":

CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.1.0 = INTEGER: 25
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.1.1 = INTEGER: 37
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.2.0 = INTEGER: 6
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.2.1 = INTEGER: 5
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.3.0 = INTEGER: 8
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.3.1 = INTEGER: 1
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.4.0 = INTEGER: 4
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.4.1 = INTEGER: 4
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.5.0 = INTEGER: 0
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.6.0 = INTEGER: 0
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.1.0 = INTEGER: 7
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.1.1 = INTEGER: 12
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.2.0 = INTEGER: 13
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.2.1 = INTEGER: 18
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.3.0 = INTEGER: 13
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.3.1 = INTEGER: 13
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.4.0 = INTEGER: 7
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.4.1 = INTEGER: 11
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.5.0 = INTEGER: 0
CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.6.0 = INTEGER: 0

Here are corresponding graphs. Modules 5 and 6 (RSPs) almost always show zeroes,
graphs for modules 1 and 4 do not show any unusual but graph for modules 2 and 3 do:

http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f10-day.png
http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f11-day.png
http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f20-day.png
http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f21-day.png
http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f30-day.png
http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f31-day.png
http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f40-day.png
http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f41-day.png

I get RSP and configuration back and graphs restore to previous shapes.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
02.10.2020 15:00, Eugene Grosbein wrote:

>>> Do I need to disable NSF (non-stop forwarding) to localise the problem?
>>> I guess both RSP should exchange data routinely when NSF is enabled.
>>
>> Or I could just eject stand-by RSP out of the chassis.
>
> So I've changed redundancy mode to to RPR (Route Processor Redundancy, was SSO) then stand-by RSP was ejected physically.
> I expected that errors would stop or would not change at all but neither happened.
>
> Instead, error rate decreased significantly but not ceased (12:25 was the moment):
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-day.png
>
> Also something strange happened with these stats that I consider as "fabric utilisation":
>
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.1.0 = INTEGER: 25
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.1.1 = INTEGER: 37
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.2.0 = INTEGER: 6
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.2.1 = INTEGER: 5
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.3.0 = INTEGER: 8
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.3.1 = INTEGER: 1
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.4.0 = INTEGER: 4
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.4.1 = INTEGER: 4
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.5.0 = INTEGER: 0
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsInUtil.6.0 = INTEGER: 0
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.1.0 = INTEGER: 7
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.1.1 = INTEGER: 12
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.2.0 = INTEGER: 13
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.2.1 = INTEGER: 18
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.3.0 = INTEGER: 13
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.3.1 = INTEGER: 13
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.4.0 = INTEGER: 7
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.4.1 = INTEGER: 11
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.5.0 = INTEGER: 0
> CISCO-CAT6K-CROSSBAR-MIB::cc6kxbarStatisticsOutUtil.6.0 = INTEGER: 0
>
> Here are corresponding graphs. Modules 5 and 6 (RSPs) almost always show zeroes,
> graphs for modules 1 and 4 do not show any unusual but graph for modules 2 and 3 do:
>
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f10-day.png
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f11-day.png
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f20-day.png
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f21-day.png
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f30-day.png
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f31-day.png
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f40-day.png
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/f41-day.png
>
> I get RSP and configuration back and graphs restore to previous shapes.

Also I should note this router has multiple 2 or 4-port Port-channels with 1Gbps ports.
Some Port-channels have members at single line card, some have members spread over multiple line cards.
Maybe this is relevant.
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 03:00:05PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Instead, error rate decreased significantly but not ceased (12:25 was the moment):
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-day.png

Well, if the now-active RSP is the one with the faulty EOBC link,
this is what would happen - by removing the standby RSP, you removed
a lot of traffic on the EOBC bus (session sync etc).

Some traffic remains (talking to the line cards), so it's not "gone"
but "less"

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
Gert Doering wrote on 02/10/2020 09:16:
> Well, if the now-active RSP is the one with the faulty EOBC link,
> this is what would happen - by removing the standby RSP, you removed
> a lot of traffic on the EOBC bus (session sync etc).

i.e. next step: re-insert the standby rsp, fail over to it and see what
happens.

Nick
Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
02.10.2020 15:22, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Gert Doering wrote on 02/10/2020 09:16:
>> Well, if the now-active RSP is the one with the faulty EOBC link,
>> this is what would happen - by removing the standby RSP, you removed
>> a lot of traffic on the EOBC bus (session sync etc).
>
> i.e. next step: re-insert the standby rsp, fail over to it and see what happens.

Thank you all, I'll try next week.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]

>>> Do I need to disable NSF (non-stop forwarding) to localise the problem?
>>> I guess both RSP should exchange data routinely when NSF is enabled.
>>
>> Or I could just eject stand-by RSP out of the chassis.
>
> So I've changed redundancy mode to to RPR (Route Processor Redundancy, was SSO) then stand-by RSP was ejected physically.
> I expected that errors would stop or would not change at all but neither happened.
>
> Instead, error rate decreased significantly but not ceased (12:25 was the moment):
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-day.png

So I waited until Saturday early morning and performed switch-over at 7:00, then error rate increased.
Today at 12:16 another one (now inactive) RSP module was ejected physically and error rate decreases again but not ceased:

http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-day2.png

What does it mean?

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
12.10.2020 15:59, Eugene Grosbein wrote:

>>> Or I could just eject stand-by RSP out of the chassis.
>>
>> So I've changed redundancy mode to to RPR (Route Processor Redundancy, was SSO) then stand-by RSP was ejected physically.
>> I expected that errors would stop or would not change at all but neither happened.
>>
>> Instead, error rate decreased significantly but not ceased (12:25 was the moment):
>> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-day.png
>
> So I waited until Saturday early morning and performed switch-over at 7:00, then error rate increased.

Forgot show show that moment:

http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-inc.png

Both graps show same value, upper graph shows maximum over an hour, lower (blue) is an average over an hour.

Re: EOBC0/0 ifInErrors [ In reply to ]
Eugene Grosbein wrote on 12/10/2020 10:07:
> Forgot show show that moment:
>
> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-inc.png
>
> Both graps show same value, upper graph shows maximum over an hour, lower (blue) is an average over an hour.
>
>> Today at 12:16 another one (now inactive) RSP module was ejected physically and error rate decreases again but not ceased:
>>
>> http://www.grosbein.net/cisco/eobc0_0-day2.png
>>
>> What does it mean?

if errs-in matches runts-in, then this may be a backplane failure. You
need to get an opinion from TAC on this.

Nick