BGP router process using way more memory on one system
Hello,

We have two routers that have a mirrored configuration. Peers, BGP configuration, everything. Exactly the same [except for IP addresses]

One of the routers BGP router process is holding 617576024. The other is holding 577596716.

The one that is holding more appears to be suffering from an out of memory condition.

I am planning on rebooting it but before I do is there any known way of freeing up enough memory to allow basic virtual exec processes to execute?

I've tried basic things like shutting down BGP peers, etc but even though the total memory that BGP says it's using goes down.. it still won't free up the memory.

Thanks in advance.
Re: BGP router process using way more memory on one system [ In reply to ]
Drew Weaver wrote on 24/05/2020 19:20:
> We have two routers that have a mirrored configuration. Peers, BGP
> configuration, everything. Exactly the same [except for IP
> addresses]
>
> One of the routers BGP router process is holding 617576024. The other
> is holding 577596716.
>
> The one that is holding more appears to be suffering from an out of
> memory condition.

There were a couple of releases where the ipv4_rib process had a
persistent memory leak. Try this:

Router# admin process restart ipv4_rib

This is non service affecting - restarting the process temporarily stops
FIB reprogramming, then does a full RIB reload from all RIB sources,
then does a FIB check across the device. I.e. it's safer to do this than
to hobble along with OOM errors.

Nick
Re: BGP router process using way more memory on one system [ In reply to ]
I'll leave this here incase it helps anyone but I was able to get it to respond to a few simple validation commands by just clearing a BGP session.

Thanks,
-Drew