Mailing List Archive

ASR9001 BGP scaling and memory shortage
Hello everyone,

ASR9001 has some memory usage limits:
- 1658M for a BGP process on a RSP
- 1536M for a shared memory window on a LC
Those limits seems to be unconfigurable.

Has anybody experienced any issues with these limits on high-loaded ASR9001
boxes?
We have a surprisingly high memory usage while the typical router setup is
pretty lightweight - 4-5 full feeds (couple of upstreams and RRs). The only
probably uncommon thing is we use "Internet in a VRF" approach.

#show processes memory detail location 0/RSP0/CPU0
> Tue May 19 19:39:12.592 Ural
> JID Text Data Stack Dynamic Dyn-Limit Shm-Tot
> Phy-Tot Process
> ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
> ---------- -------
> 1054 1M 5M 516K 1485M 1658M 76M
> 1491M bgp

#show memory summary location 0/0/CPU0

node: node0_0_CPU0
> Physical Memory: 8192M total
> Application Memory : 7988M (3811M available)
> Image: 75M (bootram: 75M)
> Reserved: 128M, IOMem: 0, flashfsys: 0
> Total shared window: 1327M

We have already had FIB inconsistency issues due to SHMWIN exhaustion
despite the fact the total prefix amount was far from the platform limit
(4M):

> fib_mgr[184]: %OS-SHMWIN-3-ALLOC_ARENA_FAILED : SHMWIN: Failed to allocate
> new arena from the server : 'SHMWIN_SVR' detected the 'fatal' condition 'VM
> is exhausted or totally fragmented'
> fib_mgr[184]: %ROUTING-FIB-3-ASSERT_RL : FIB internal inconsistency
> detected
> fib_mgr[184]: %ROUTING-FIB-3-PD_FAIL : FIB platform error: fib_leaf_insert
> 5204 Cannot insert leaf

What are practical limits for BGP scaling on ASR9001 boxes? Could anyone
share a memory usage stats?
--
Best regards,
Vladimir Troitsky
Re: ASR9001 BGP scaling and memory shortage [ In reply to ]
Hello Vladimir,

What version IOS XR are you using?
We are doesn't have problems with FIB inconsistency. IOS XR 6.6.3.

#show processes memory detail location 0/RSP0/CPU0
Wed May 20 09:09:23.240 MSK
JID Text Data Stack Dynamic Dyn-Limit Shm-Tot Phy-Tot Process
------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- -------
1087 1M 10M 624K 818M 1658M 218M 829M bgp

#show memory summary location 0/0/CPU0
Wed May 20 09:10:34.206 MSK
node: node0_0_CPU0
--------------------------------------
Physical Memory: 8192M total
Application Memory : 7985M (4258M available)
Image: 78M (bootram: 78M)
Reserved: 128M, IOMem: 0, flashfsys: 0
Total shared window: 495M

Alexandr Gurbo <gurbo@golas.ru>
Re: ASR9001 BGP scaling and memory shortage [ In reply to ]
Hello Alexandr,

Thank you for your input! We are using IOS XR 5.3.4 and 6.1.4 - no
significant difference in memory consumption between them.
How many peers/routes do you have on this box? Are those peers configured
in a GRT or in a VRF?

Re: ASR9001 BGP scaling and memory shortage [ In reply to ]
All in GRT, 3 full tables, 2 big IX, couple private peers. No MPLS, only routing.

On Wed, 20 May 2020 11:44:05 +0500

--
Alexandr Gurbo <gurbo@golas.ru>
Re: ASR9001 BGP scaling and memory shortage [ In reply to ]
Slightly unrelated to this thread but also sort of related.

Did anyone else notice that this file appears in the ASR9001 IOS XR file list now?

asr9k-9000v-nV-x64-1.0.0.0-r702.x86_64.rpm

I was under the impression that ASR 9001 couldn't run x86_64 software and also... why is it an RPM rather than a tar?

--
Alexandr Gurbo <gurbo@golas.ru>
Re: ASR9001 BGP scaling and memory shortage [ In reply to ]
eXR is Linux based 64 bit vs classic XR which is the 32 bit qnx kernel.
Some releases have both

Re: ASR9001 BGP scaling and memory shortage [ In reply to ]
Hello everyone,

Other list members have a significantly lower memory usage for a BGP
process and a shmwin on ASR9001 routers with more sessions/routes in GRT.

Saku Ytti has suggested me some useful notes which I would like to mention
as a summary for this thread:
- one could use 'hw-module profile scale l3xl' in admin mode to increase an
RLIMIT for a BGP process, even on Typhoon-based platforms (not only on
Trident-based ones as I thought);
- a shmwin shortage is probably caused by per-prefix label mode, the per-ce
mode will be much more scalable. We use the per-prefix mode because of BGP
PIC limitations, but maybe it's time to reconsider the feature-set used.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Troitsky