Mailing List Archive

ASR920 Interface won't come up
Had another weird interface issue on a pair of Cisco ASR920 routers.
Wondering if anyone has seen something similar before.

Both are setup with basic routing, no layer-2 functionality over the link,
and pretty basic.

interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/4
description Feed
mtu 9189
ip address 10.10.0.37 255.255.255.252
no negotiation auto
mpls ip

On the Remote Side
description Remote
mtu 9189
ip address 10.10.0.38 255.255.255.252
no negotiation auto
mpls ip

Power went out at the remote site, and the link did not come back up. The
feed side was reporting the interface was down/down. When we went to the
remote site, it was reporting up/up but could not pass traffic. A shut/no
shut of the port on either side didn't seem to have any effect. Both came
right back to the same state they were before (remote reporting up, feed
reporting down).

SFP removal and reinsertion didn't help either. We then re-provisioned the
port on the remote side (default interface, copy and paste) and the link
came back up and seems to be operating normally.

Logs don't show anything interesting either. Not sure where to go from
here.

Thanks
Re: ASR920 Interface won't come up [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 00:22, Shawn L <shawn@rmrf.us> wrote:

> Had another weird interface issue on a pair of Cisco ASR920 routers.
> Wondering if anyone has seen something similar before.
>
> Both are setup with basic routing, no layer-2 functionality over the link,
> and pretty basic.
>
> interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/4
> description Feed
> mtu 9189
> ip address 10.10.0.37 255.255.255.252
> no negotiation auto
> mpls ip
>
> On the Remote Side
> description Remote
> mtu 9189
> ip address 10.10.0.38 255.255.255.252
> no negotiation auto
> mpls ip
>
> Power went out at the remote site, and the link did not come back up. The
> feed side was reporting the interface was down/down. When we went to the
> remote site, it was reporting up/up but could not pass traffic. A shut/no
> shut of the port on either side didn't seem to have any effect. Both came
> right back to the same state they were before (remote reporting up, feed
> reporting down).
>
> SFP removal and reinsertion didn't help either. We then re-provisioned the
> port on the remote side (default interface, copy and paste) and the link
> came back up and seems to be operating normally.
>
> Logs don't show anything interesting either. Not sure where to go from
> here.

Hi Shawn,

Did you ever get this resolved? Did you speak to TAC?

There have been a few posts on this list about weird interface
behavior for ASR920s, which seems to relate to the hidden TCL scripts
run in the background when interfaces go up/down, change speed, SFPs
are changed etc.

I'm curious to know if you spoke to TAC and if they related it to the
same source of problems.

Cheers,
James.
Re: ASR920 Interface won't come up [ In reply to ]
James

I have spoken to TAC, but no resolution as of yet. After getting all of
the pertinent information, my TAC engineer dropped off the face of the
earth for several weeks, then e-mailed me for times to discuss, then went
dark again. I have to say, I'm not impressed.

We've done some debugging on our own, but not goten real far. We've tried
several reboots of the far-end, and we aren't able to reproduce it or make
it fail.

Shawn

Re: ASR920 Interface won't come up [ In reply to ]
Hi Shawn

Just for your information

At one time we had issue with VRRP between the ASR920, we contact Cisco TAC and we did troubleshoot with I believe 2 or 3 level of support team. The issue got fixed be just reboot both device then VRRP works ever since .

Lucky our setup is not a production setup ...

wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 00:22, Shawn L <shawn@rmrf.us> wrote:
> >
> > Had another weird interface issue on a pair of Cisco ASR920 routers.
> > Wondering if anyone has seen something similar before.
> >
> > Both are setup with basic routing, no layer-2 functionality over the
> link,
> > and pretty basic.
> >
> > interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/4
> > description Feed
> > mtu 9189
> > ip address 10.10.0.37 255.255.255.252 no negotiation auto mpls ip
> >
> > On the Remote Side
> > description Remote
> > mtu 9189
> > ip address 10.10.0.38 255.255.255.252 no negotiation auto mpls ip
> >
> > Power went out at the remote site, and the link did not come back up.
> The
> > feed side was reporting the interface was down/down. When we went
> > to the remote site, it was reporting up/up but could not pass
> > traffic. A
> shut/no
> > shut of the port on either side didn't seem to have any effect.
> > Both
> came
> > right back to the same state they were before (remote reporting up,
> > feed reporting down).
> >
> > SFP removal and reinsertion didn't help either. We then
> > re-provisioned
> the
> > port on the remote side (default interface, copy and paste) and the
> > link came back up and seems to be operating normally.
> >
> > Logs don't show anything interesting either. Not sure where to go
> > from here.
>
> Hi Shawn,
>
> Did you ever get this resolved? Did you speak to TAC?
>
> There have been a few posts on this list about weird interface
> behavior for ASR920s, which seems to relate to the hidden TCL scripts
> run in the background when interfaces go up/down, change speed, SFPs
> are changed etc.
>
> I'm curious to know if you spoke to TAC and if they related it to the
> same source of problems.
>
> Cheers,
> James.

Confidentiality Notice: This email (including any attachment) is intended for internal use only. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying of the content is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by email and delete this email and any attachment.