Mailing List Archive

SDx open standard?
Hello everyone,

I was thinking, throughout last design sessions with my customers, those
vendors are really pushing hard for their "SDN something" solutions
adoption.

SD WAN, SD access, Software defined everything, are all closed standards,
aren't they? I was wondering why will we abandon the model for open
standards, which had served as so well for many-many years? There's no real
world product, be it network-device-white-box or SDx controller,
implementing an open standard, isn't it?

Sure, 99.99999% of those offerings, are really suitable for enterprises
only and maybe (just maybe) a data center. And while network-as-a-service
is really a thing for service providers only, I was thinking, is it really
a good thing, to base your network, be it enterprise or other, on closed
standard?

So what do you think? I'm genuinely interested in our community thoughts on
that. Is there is, an open software defined network standard or is it
really a good thing, to sell your soul to a single vendor, for years to
come?

Best regards.
Re: SDx open standard? [ In reply to ]
So we had a hearty and honest discussion about this on j-nsp back in
January. You might want to take a look at:

    https://lists.gt.net/nsp/juniper/68520

Mark.

Re: SDx open standard? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 13:08, Alex K. <nsp.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was thinking, throughout last design sessions with my customers, those
> vendors are really pushing hard for their "SDN something" solutions
> adoption.
>
> SD WAN, SD access, Software defined everything, are all closed standards,
> aren't they? I was wondering why will we abandon the model for open
> standards, which had served as so well for many-many years? There's no real
> world product, be it network-device-white-box or SDx controller,
> implementing an open standard, isn't it?
>
> Sure, 99.99999% of those offerings, are really suitable for enterprises
> only and maybe (just maybe) a data center. And while network-as-a-service
> is really a thing for service providers only, I was thinking, is it really
> a good thing, to base your network, be it enterprise or other, on closed
> standard?
>
> So what do you think? I'm genuinely interested in our community thoughts on
> that. Is there is, an open software defined network standard or is it
> really a good thing, to sell your soul to a single vendor, for years to
> come?

Hi Alex,

Nobody has mentioned it yet so I will; this is going through the IETF
BESS working group right now, I think this is the kind of thing you're
asking about:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dunbar-idr-sdwan-port-safi-06

Cheers,
James.