Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
A 920 taking 13 minutes too boot is quite a thing to see. Especially a dual
reboot for a software upgrade ????

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 06:29:41PM +0200, Brian Turnbow wrote:
> Let's make a smu to disable smart licensing as a fix.

Now that is nice :-) IOS XR FTW.

(I still do not understand why more recent XR platforms can't have
EIGRP, though... we have nicely and willingly moved ourselves into
vendor lock-in because we *like* EIGRP...)

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
>There are currently no such plans, but the natural current replacement would
>be NCS 540 (IOS-XR box) and NCS 560 (XR box as well, more alike
>ASR 903/907 if you need modularity).

I was told that there are currently no plans to EoL the ASR920. The NCS, while somewhat similar, is not quite as "feature-rich" as the ASR. I've not yet had the pleasure to test one out, but I'm guessing that means the ASR is more edge-focused while NCS is more aggregation-focused.

-evt
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Don't forget the PHD in rocket surgery required for smartnet

This message originated from outside your organization.

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
The NCS540 line is definitely edge focused although the initial hardware release probably fits more in an aggregation role for most. There are differences in feature or scale but I wouldn't say it's less feature rich, in many cases it has more capabilities.

Thanks,
Phil

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Why are we worried about XR boot times ?

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:g-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
Thu Jun 27 14:20:49.013 CDT
Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default]
g-9k uptime is 5 years, 14 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:c-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
Thu Jun 27 14:20:55.287 CDT
Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default]
c-9k uptime is 5 years, 21 weeks, 4 days, 44 minutes

-Aaron

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
On 27/Jun/19 21:22, Aaron Gould wrote:

> Why are we worried about XR boot times ?
>
> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:g-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
> Thu Jun 27 14:20:49.013 CDT
> Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default]
> g-9k uptime is 5 years, 14 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes
>
> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:c-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
> Thu Jun 27 14:20:55.287 CDT
> Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default]
> c-9k uptime is 5 years, 21 weeks, 4 days, 44 minutes

Again, I'm not so worried about boot time. Whether it takes a box 10
minutes or 10 hours to boot, as my Swedish friend would say, "Det är vad
det är".

My main concern is how long it takes to complete a full upgrade, with a
couple of accompanying SMU's to boot (pun intended).

Mark.
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
"Det är vad det är"

'It is what it is"?

?Em 27/06/2019 16:41, "cisco-nsp em nome de Mark Tinka" <cisco-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net em nome de mark.tinka@seacom.mu> escreveu:

On 27/Jun/19 21:22, Aaron Gould wrote:

> Why are we worried about XR boot times ?
>
> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:g-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
> Thu Jun 27 14:20:49.013 CDT
> Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default]
> g-9k uptime is 5 years, 14 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes
>
> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:c-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
> Thu Jun 27 14:20:55.287 CDT
> Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default]
> c-9k uptime is 5 years, 21 weeks, 4 days, 44 minutes

Again, I'm not so worried about boot time. Whether it takes a box 10
minutes or 10 hours to boot, as my Swedish friend would say, "Det är vad
det är".

My main concern is how long it takes to complete a full upgrade, with a
couple of accompanying SMU's to boot (pun intended).

Mark.
> > Why are we worried about XR boot times ?
> >
> > RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:g-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
> > Thu Jun 27 14:20:49.013 CDT
> > Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default] g-9k uptime is 5 years,
> > 14 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes
> >
> > RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:c-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
> > Thu Jun 27 14:20:55.287 CDT
> > Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default] c-9k uptime is 5 years,
> > 21 weeks, 4 days, 44 minutes
>
> Again, I'm not so worried about boot time. Whether it takes a box 10 minutes
> or 10 hours to boot, as my Swedish friend would say, "Det är vad det är".
>
> My main concern is how long it takes to complete a full upgrade, with a
> couple of accompanying SMU's to boot (pun intended).

I'd expect the boot(and install) of GISO from USB to be fairly quick.

adam

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 12:31:54PM +0100, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:
> I'd expect the boot(and install) of GISO from USB to be fairly quick.
>
> adam

I don't know about USB boot but installing GISO on live router (.iso copied over to RP, then
install update command used) is about 1 hour and 30 minutes process. The router literally
sits there looks like absolutely doing nothing for almost an hour until the reload. I believe
it's probably copying stuff to the LCs.

Is doing it from USB boot any faster? Has anyone actually done clean GISO install from USB?
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
On 6/27/19 2:40 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 27/Jun/19 21:22, Aaron Gould wrote:
>
>> Why are we worried about XR boot times ?
>>
>> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:g-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
>> Thu Jun 27 14:20:49.013 CDT
>> Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default]
>> g-9k uptime is 5 years, 14 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes
>>
>> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:c-9k#sh ver | in "uptime|IOS"
>> Thu Jun 27 14:20:55.287 CDT
>> Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 4.1.2[Default]
>> c-9k uptime is 5 years, 21 weeks, 4 days, 44 minutes
>
> Again, I'm not so worried about boot time. Whether it takes a box 10
> minutes or 10 hours to boot, as my Swedish friend would say, "Det är vad
> det är".
>
> My main concern is how long it takes to complete a full upgrade, with a
> couple of accompanying SMU's to boot (pun intended).
>
> Mark.

And then there's "TURBOBOOT", which is an oxymoron at best.

Varit där; gjort det.