option for considering value for $$ spent.

Regards,
Asif
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 15:59, Muhammad Asif Rao <masif.rao@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Going through ASR 920 and look like EOL announced already.

I don't see any EOL announcement for the ASR920 (other then software).

Can you clarify what you mean and link to that EOL announcement please?

cheers,
lukas
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 09:58:14AM -0400, Muhammad Asif Rao wrote:
> Going through ASR 920 and look like EOL announced already. What is the best
> replacement capable of handling 10g aggregation. So far this been best
> option for considering value for $$ spent.

What is it that you want to do with it?

Routing, switching, MPLSing, ...?

How many ports?

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
We are using features like BGP, EIGRP, ACLs and net flow.

Routes are 2k and ACL is about max 500 entries.

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Also we using 4x10g ports.

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
On 26/Jun/19 15:58, Muhammad Asif Rao wrote:
> Hi,
> Going through ASR 920 and look like EOL announced already. What is the best
> replacement capable of handling 10g aggregation. So far this been best
> option for considering value for $$ spent.

MX204.

Mark.
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
NCS5xx might be an option for you.
Had a look on these guys in the lab recently - not so bad.
Some minor issues with the SW still exist since it is a new platform, but I
would buy that thing if the budget allows.

Rgds,
Igor

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
I haven’t seen a roadmap where the hardware has been discontinued. Just
put in a grant application to use a bunch of the new 12x 10 gig models and
none of our research nor talking to Cisco directly showed any EOL any time
soon

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
On 27/Jun/19 00:33, Shawn L wrote:
> I haven’t seen a roadmap where the hardware has been discontinued. Just
> put in a grant application to use a bunch of the new 12x 10 gig models and
> none of our research nor talking to Cisco directly showed any EOL any time
> soon

The ASR920 is still present.

Mark.
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Overall, it looks like specific IOS versions are being eol-ed. Has anyone
seen any indication that the hardware platform itself would be phased out?

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Laurent,

The HW platform isn't, but the older SW (3.16/3.18) are EOL'd, I was advised by the TAC.

With good reason too - We hit a bad VPLS bug in them that was fixed only in everest and beyond
with no plans to backport. As such our fleet are now running 16.6 and we've been good on that.

Patrick

Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 07:46:04PM -0400, Laurent Dumont wrote:

> Overall, it looks like specific IOS versions are being eol-ed. Has anyone
> seen any indication that the hardware platform itself would be phased out?
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 7:10 PM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:
>

> > On 27/Jun/19 00:33, Shawn L wrote:
> > > I haven’t seen a roadmap where the hardware has been discontinued. Just
> > > put in a grant application to use a bunch of the new 12x 10 gig models
> > and
> > > none of our research nor talking to Cisco directly showed any EOL any
> > time
> > > soon
> >
> > The ASR920 is still present.
> >
> > Mark.

Patrick Cole <patrickc@spirit.com.au>
Principal Engineer
Spirit Telecom Ltd
19-25 Raglan St, South Melbourne VIC 3205
Desk: 0385541391
Mobile: 0410626630
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Thank you, yes its only code, not the hw.

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Can you share the details of the VPLS bug? BugID?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Jason,

It was an internally raised bug, so you probably won't find any mention of it anywhere on any release notes. Classic case of the "fix it before someone notices" :

CSCvb80108 - "On disposition VPLS traffic getting dropped and disposition label info is not present on hw"

Fixed code releases are Everest-16.6.1a Everest-16.6.1 Everest-16.5.2 16.6.1s 16.6.1a 16.6.1 16.5.2 16.5(1.149).

Regards,

Patrick

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
On 27/Jun/19 01:46, Laurent Dumont wrote:
> Overall, it looks like specific IOS versions are being eol-ed.

That is common, and expected.

> Has anyone seen any indication that the hardware platform itself would
> be phased out?

Nope.

Mark.
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
> On 27 Jun 2019, at 10:15, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:
>
> On 27/Jun/19 01:46, Laurent Dumont wrote:
>> Overall, it looks like specific IOS versions are being eol-ed.
>
> That is common, and expected.
>
>> Has anyone seen any indication that the hardware platform itself would
>> be phased out?
>
> Nope.

Putting my Cisco hat for a moment:

There are currently no such plans, but the natural current replacement would
be NCS 540 (IOS-XR box) and NCS 560 (XR box as well, more alike
ASR 903/907 if you need modularity).

--
?ukasz Bromirski
CCIE R&S/SP #15929, CCDE #2012::17, PGP Key ID: 0xFD077F6A
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
On 27/Jun/19 17:49, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:

> Putting my Cisco hat for a moment:
>
> There are currently no such plans, but the natural current replacement
> would
> be NCS 540 (IOS-XR box) and NCS 560 (XR box as well, more alike
> ASR 903/907 if you need modularity).

I don't know why for a Metro-E application, IOS XR is simply too
heavy... maybe it's just me.

I've not ran IOS XR in anything other than a CRS or ASR9000, so can't
say whether it's any quicker in an NCS*. But if not, I wouldn't want to
be the one speaking to the NOC about why 700 boxes in the Metro are down
for longer than what we had on an ASR920 (IOS XE) for a simple code
upgrade :-).

Mark.
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
> On 27 Jun 2019, at 17:53, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu> wrote:
>
> On 27/Jun/19 17:49, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:
>

>> Putting my Cisco hat for a moment:
>>
>> There are currently no such plans, but the natural current replacement
>> would
>> be NCS 540 (IOS-XR box) and NCS 560 (XR box as well, more alike
>> ASR 903/907 if you need modularity).
>
> I don't know why for a Metro-E application, IOS XR is simply too
> heavy... maybe it's just me.
>
> I've not ran IOS XR in anything other than a CRS or ASR9000, so can't
> say whether it's any quicker in an NCS*. But if not, I wouldn't want to
> be the one speaking to the NOC about why 700 boxes in the Metro are down
> for longer than what we had on an ASR920 (IOS XE) for a simple code
> upgrade :-).

:D “Good old days of solid iron with QNX-running XR”.

NCS 540 boots in ~90 seconds depending on the complexity of the
configuration. I just did reboot one to check if I’m right.

./
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 05:49:42PM +0200, ??ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> There are currently no such plans, but the natural current replacement would
> be NCS 540 (IOS-XR box) and NCS 560 (XR box as well, more alike
> ASR 903/907 if you need modularity).

The boxes look very nice.

The table on software licensing looks like the usual Cisco nightmare,
just more of it.

ESS-AC-10G-RTU-1 Essentials SW Right-to-Use per 10G
ADV-AC-10G-RTU-1 Advanced SW Right-to-Use per 10G
ESS-10G-SIA-3 Essentials SW Innovation Access per 10G 3 year subscription
ESS-10G-SIA-5 Essentials SW Innovation Access per 10G 5 year subscription
ADV-10G-SIA-3 Advanced SW Innovation Access per 10G 3 year subscription
ADV-10G-SIA-5 Advanced SW Innovation Access per 10G 5 year subscription

and of course you'd need a SmartNet coverage for every single license
bit...

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Gert,

> On 27 Jun 2019, at 18:00, Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 05:49:42PM +0200, ??ukasz Bromirski wrote:
>> There are currently no such plans, but the natural current replacement would
>> be NCS 540 (IOS-XR box) and NCS 560 (XR box as well, more alike
>> ASR 903/907 if you need modularity).
>
> The boxes look very nice.
>
> The table on software licensing looks like the usual Cisco nightmare,
> just more of it.

Oh c’mon, what would happen if we’d nail down *both* product and
licensing? Hell would freeze ;)

./

Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
On 27/Jun/19 17:59, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> :D “Good old days of solid iron with QNX-running XR”.
>
> NCS 540 boots in ~90 seconds depending on the complexity of the
> configuration. I just did reboot one to check if I’m right.

And a full software upgrade?

Mark.
Re: ASR 920 Replacement [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 06:02:15PM +0200, ??ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> > The table on software licensing looks like the usual Cisco nightmare,
> > just more of it.
>
> Oh c???mon, what would happen if we???d nail down *both* product and
> licensing? Hell would freeze ;)

*sigh*. Well said.

(And, if you get the list price / discount thingie in order, *and* fix
the web site, then you might just squash the competition out there... :-) )

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de

1 2  View All