Mailing List Archive

[nsp] CLNS Name Resolution
Guys,
We are running IS-IS and have host clns entries so we can easily identify
adj's ect.
I remember someone mentioning that there was a feature that advertised the
locally
confirgued clsn host NAME xx.x.. names accross the network. At the moment we
have long lists of host entries that need to be copied to every machine in
the network.
It was not based on DNS either.

I just cant find the feature anyone have any clues ?

Regards,
Kevin

the system manager.

presence of computer viruses.

For more information contact postmaster@lancomms.ie

phone + 353 1 4093000

fax + 353 1 4093001

Re: [nsp] CLNS Name Resolution [ In reply to ]
Kevin,

The feature is called Dynamic Hostname Exchange and is defined by RFC2763.
It has been supported by IOS since early 12.0S code.

At 10:36 AM 8/2/2002 +0100, Kevin Gannon wrote:
>Guys,
>We are running IS-IS and have host clns entries so we can easily identify
>adj's ect.
>I remember someone mentioning that there was a feature that advertised the
>locally
>confirgued clsn host NAME xx.x.. names accross the network. At the moment we
>have long lists of host entries that need to be copied to every machine in
>the network.
>It was not based on DNS either.
>
>I just cant find the feature anyone have any clues ?
>
>Regards,
>Kevin

>the system manager.
>
>This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the
>presence of computer viruses.
>
>For more information contact postmaster@lancomms.ie
>
>phone + 353 1 4093000
>
>fax + 353 1 4093001

Harold Ritter, CCIE 4168
Advanced Network Services - ISP East
Cisco Systems
300 Apollo Drive
Chelmsford, MA 01824 USA
Phone: 978 497 3129
Fax: 978 497 3129
Cisco Systems- "Empowering the Internet Generation."
Re: [nsp] CLNS Name Resolution [ In reply to ]
I don't recall the name of the feature itself, but it has been present
(and runs automatically) in IOS for a while. I haven't had to type in a
clns host command in a couple years. You might want to pick one box and
remove its clns host command from all your routers. I bet you will
still see its host name in sh isis database and such...