Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Catalyst vs. Nexus [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:36:23AM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> It's also worth emphasising that JunOS has a consistent cross-platform
> API for configuring their devices, and has done for a long while now.
>
> Cisco's (embryonic) efforts seem to be falling firmly into the "one XML
> schema per device, but you can tunnel them all over netconf!"
>
> I am not amused.

To be fair, JUNOS has its share of warts here. They split up
namespaces by JUNOS revision. Since the XML namespace is considered
as part of the name of the tag, this means that though they have
consistent schemata, their tags are named differently between
versions.

Getting some XML handling tools to go through the gyrations to look
for "junos-interface" and not "junos93:junos-interface" and
"junos94:junos-interface" has been difficult for me - especially when
it's clear that they are the same kind of thing. It's especially
annoying when the new version introduces no new sematics.

I don't honestly have any idea what the right approach is. I've heard
rumors that JUNOS is moving away from versioned tags in v10 or 11, but
I don't know if I should believe that.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter. If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
--Woody Guthrie
Re: Catalyst vs. Nexus [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 08:57:40AM -0400, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> To be fair, JUNOS has its share of warts here. They split up
> namespaces by JUNOS revision. Since the XML namespace is considered
> as part of the name of the tag, this means that though they have
> consistent schemata, their tags are named differently between
> versions.
>
> Getting some XML handling tools to go through the gyrations to look
> for "junos-interface" and not "junos93:junos-interface" and
> "junos94:junos-interface" has been difficult for me - especially when
> it's clear that they are the same kind of thing. It's especially
> annoying when the new version introduces no new sematics.

I've done a fair bit of work with JUNOS' XML interface (in netconf,
commit scripts, op scripts, etc), and I've got to say I've never seen
that issue before. I'm not aware of any requirement to use any version
specific tags. The biggest problem I have is handling different configs
when there really is a change between versions, that is how to take
advantage of new features when possible, when not every router has been
upgraded to the new code yet.

But yes JUNOS certainly has its share of warts. They are going through
growing pains as they expand outside their traditional core router space
and try to become like Cisco. Unfortunately the end result is that they
are becoming like Cisco. And while they still have some of the most
advanced technology and smartest people out there, they also have a
large number of idiots mucking things up, and the number seems to go up
every day. Still though, netconf has never crashed my router when I
tried to use it, which is more than I can say for IOS. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras