MSFC1, sup2 and sup720s) I have not found a way to be assigned an
address.

I can only assume this is because no one in their right mind would
ever do this on this platform but my install is requiring such.
Before I try a flexwan with a PA-FE in it has anyone out there had
this issue and if so would you be so kind to pass along a solution if
there is one.

Thanks in advance for the time and help. //db

Re: Cat 6500 (IOS) dhcp Client [ In reply to ]
On 20 May 2009, at 01:46, Dan Benson wrote:

> As strange as this sounds, I have a need to be assigned an address
> on a Cat6500 Running IOS via dhcp (to a vlan or a dedicated port).
> On most routers running IOS the command syntax is, "ip address dhcp"
> as just about anyone knows but on the sups running IOS (tested sup1a-
> ge/MSFC1, sup2 and sup720s) I have not found a way to be assigned an
> address.
>
> I can only assume this is because no one in their right mind would
> ever do this on this platform but my install is requiring such.
> Before I try a flexwan with a PA-FE in it has anyone out there had
> this issue and if so would you be so kind to pass along a solution
> if there is one.
>
> Thanks in advance for the time and help. //db

Hi

Not so strange.

This works for us on 6500/7600 sup32 sup720 rsp720 from SXF to SRC

ip dhcp pool POP-DHCP
network 1.2.3.224 255.255.255.248
domain-name a.net
dns-server 1.2.3.4
default-router 1.2.3.225
lease 0 2

interface GigabitEthernetx/x
description Engineer laptop access
ip address 1.2.3.225 255.255.255.248

HTH

--
Steve Lalonde RTFM
Chief Technical Officer

Re: Cat 6500 (IOS) dhcp Client [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Steve Lalonde <steve@enta.net> wrote:
> Not so strange.

You've got a DHCP server. Dan needs a DHCP client.

cheers,
Dale
Re: Cat 6500 (IOS) dhcp Client [ In reply to ]
On 20 May 2009, at 07:52, Dale Shaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> On 20 May 2009, at 01:46, Dan Benson wrote:
>>> As strange as this sounds, I have a need to be assigned an address
>>> on a Cat6500 Running IOS via dhcp (to a vlan or a dedicated port).
>
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Steve Lalonde <steve@enta.net> wrote:
>> Not so strange.
>
> You've got a DHCP server. Dan needs a DHCP client.
>
> cheers,
> Dale

Doh!

Thats what happens when you reply to emails while half asleep

Steve
Re: Cat 6500 (IOS) dhcp Client [ In reply to ]
Safe to assume I am up the river on this one then? Thanks. //db

Re: Cat 6500 (IOS) dhcp Client [ In reply to ]
Hi Dan,

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 2:09 AM, Dan Benson <dbenson@swingpad.com> wrote:
> Safe to assume I am up the river on this one then?  Thanks. //db

The command lookup tool [1] suggests the 'ip address dhcp' command is
available in 12.2SX and 12.2SR trains, but it "depends on your feature
set, platform, and platform hardware"

Have a play around with the feature navigator tool [2], using the
"DHCP Client" feature and your specific platform(s) and IOS as
filters. Sometimes Feature Navigator tells lies, but generally steers
you in the right direction :-)

cheers,
Dale

[1] http://tools.cisco.com/Support/CLILookup/cltSearchAction.do
[2] http://www.cisco.com/go/fn
Re: Cat 6500 (IOS) dhcp Client [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 10:10 +1000, Dale Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 2:09 AM, Dan Benson <dbenson@swingpad.com> wrote:
> > Safe to assume I am up the river on this one then? Thanks. //db
>
> The command lookup tool [1] suggests the 'ip address dhcp' command is
> available in 12.2SX and 12.2SR trains, but it "depends on your feature
> set, platform, and platform hardware"
>
> Have a play around with the feature navigator tool [2], using the
> "DHCP Client" feature and your specific platform(s) and IOS as
> filters. Sometimes Feature Navigator tells lies, but generally steers
> you in the right direction :-)

Well, according to FN the SXF Advanced IP Services should support the
command, but it doesn't work for me at least.

One could open a TAC case to either have FN corrected or have the
command implemented.

Regards,
Peter