Mailing List Archive

Support for "percent" directive in per-session QoS
Re: Support for "percent" directive in per-session QoS [ In reply to ]
You specify your bandwidth via a radius av-pair, say for example you
have a 512kb downstream ADSL service landing on your LNS you would have
a line like:

cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config#1=bandwidth 435" (435kb
allowing for a 15% dsl overhead)
cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config#2=service-policy output SHAPED-QOS"

Then using the shape average percent command the LNS would shape the
user to that speed, you can then apply your actual QoS policy under
that, like so:

policy-map SHAPED-QOS
class class-default
shape average percent 100 50 ms
service-policy QOS

This would apply the policy "QOS" to the shaped interface, I hope that
is what you were after, and yes it does work quite well with
priority(LLQ), the most important thing is to shape it to the correct
speed, when the link is being saturated and you do a "sh policy-map int
xx" you want to see it reporting that it is being shaped.

Cheers

Ben

Re: Support for "percent" directive in per-session QoS [ In reply to ]
Thats great, the percentage I was referring to though was in the LLQ (as in priority percent and bandwidth percent) are these possible?

Dave.

David Freedman
Group Network Engineering
Claranet Limited
http://www.clara.net

Re: Support for "percent" directive in per-session QoS [ In reply to ]
They sure are, they will just reference the bandwidth you specify in
your radius av-pair, so if you set priority percent 10 to a class you
have put 435Kb in radius for it will give up to 43Kb of LLQ to that
class, that radius bandwidth statement is like the equivalent of a
bandwidth statement under a normal physical interface, it now becomes
the global bandwidth for that virtual-interface that the router
recognises, you just have to make sure you do shape it properly though
otherwise your QoS won't be very affective.

Cheers

Re: Support for "percent" directive in per-session QoS [ In reply to ]
Many thanks, I shall give this a try, as with many new features these days documentation is sparse on useful stuff such as this :)

David Freedman
Group Network Engineering
Claranet Limited
http://www.clara.net