FORTHnet S.A.
<achatz@forthnet.gr>
***********************************
RE: multilink on unequal links [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> We have 2 serial links, one 2 Mbps kai one 512 Kbps.
>
> If we make a multink interface consisting of these 2, how will it
> work after the 512kbps barrier?

There is no problem mixing links of different speeds, Multilink will
just send the packets on the link which still has resources to do so.
Details are highly implementation dependant, but there is no such thing
as round-robin or hash-based (like CEF's per-destination), so you don't
need to worry.
We still try to utilize all links, so the load is spread across all
members, but not necessarily equally..

oli
Re: multilink on unequal links [ In reply to ]
Anastassios Chatzithomaoglou [achatz@forthnet.gr] wrote:
> We have 2 serial links, one 2 Mbps kai one 512 Kbps.
>
> If we make a multink interface consisting of these 2, how will it work
> after the 512kbps barrier?

We will send 4 times the number of bytes on the 2Mbps link as compared
to the 512kbps link. This should provide proper load
distribution. "show ppp multilink" should show some information
pertaining to this.

Dennis

> --
> ***********************************
> Chatzithomaoglou Anastasios
> Network Design & Operations Center
> FORTHnet S.A.
> <achatz@forthnet.gr>

..:||||||:..:||||||:.. San Jose, CA 95134 Fax: (408) 232-2343
Cisco Systems Inc. dpeng@cisco.com
Re: multilink on unequal links [ In reply to ]
Dennis Peng wrote:

> Anastassios Chatzithomaoglou [achatz@forthnet.gr] wrote:
>
>>We have 2 serial links, one 2 Mbps kai one 512 Kbps.
>>
>>If we make a multink interface consisting of these 2, how will it work
>>after the 512kbps barrier?
>

> We will send 4 times the number of bytes on the 2Mbps link as compared
> to the 512kbps link. This should provide proper load
> distribution. "show ppp multilink" should show some information
> pertaining to this.

So when the 1st link is 80% full, the 2nd link will be 80% too?
Does it depend on the "bandwidth" interface command?

***********************************
Re: multilink on unequal links [ In reply to ]
Anastassios Chatzithomaoglou [achatz@forthnet.gr] wrote:

> Dennis Peng wrote:
>
> >Anastassios Chatzithomaoglou [achatz@forthnet.gr] wrote:
> >
> >>We have 2 serial links, one 2 Mbps kai one 512 Kbps.
> >>
> >>If we make a multink interface consisting of these 2, how will it work
> >>after the 512kbps barrier?
> >

> >We will send 4 times the number of bytes on the 2Mbps link as compared
> >to the 512kbps link. This should provide proper load
> >distribution. "show ppp multilink" should show some information
> >pertaining to this.
> >

> So when the 1st link is 80% full, the 2nd link will be 80% too?

That is my understanding.

> Does it depend on the "bandwidth" interface command?

Yes.

Dennis