Mailing List Archive

IOS, SPE & modemcap Recommendation
After several years away from dealing directly with dialup modem issues I
have inherited responsibility for an AS5350 that takes incoming modem
connections over 8 PRI lines. It has been a long time, so I'm fumbling a
bit.

Memory: 128 MB
Flash: 32 MB
IOS: 12.2(2)XA5 (as far as anyone here knows it has never been updated)
SPE: 0.7.9.0 (IOS default)
Modemcap: not specified, so I assume it's the default, not nextport

Callers with Lucent-based modems have trouble connecting, and once
connected have trouble staying connected. I want to upgrade to more
recent IOS and SPE to see if it helps our Lucent clients, but there is a
catch. We are still using Extended TACACS (not TACACS+). Our UNIX admin
is working on replacing it with RADIUS, but I need to address the Lucent
client problem right now so can't wait for RADIUS to be ready some day.

What is the most recent IOS version that can use Extended TACACS? As far
as I can tell it is 12.2, but I want to make sure.

What SPE version is recommended for use with 12.2 (or whatever recent IOS
still supports Extended TACACS).

Should we switch to the nextport modemcap, stay with default, or create a
custom one?

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

--
Chip Old (Francis E. Old) E-Mail: fold@bcpl.net
BCPL Network Administrator Phone: 410-887-6180
RE: IOS, SPE & modemcap Recommendation [ In reply to ]
Chip,

These are complex problems and I would recommend
getting support on the AS5350 and opening a TAC case.

The SPEWare can be upgraded independently of the
IOS. The lastest SPEWare optimized for dialup is 8.XX.

You can definitely play with the modemcap, but it
will only be helpful in a definate problem is understood.

"Having trouble staying connected" could mean lots of
things include dirty lines and faultly client modems
that upgrading the NAS will not help with.

Good luck.

Regards,
Darryl Sladden
Product Manager AS5000
Cisco Systems - ABU
dsladden@cisco.com
408-525-8970

Re: IOS, SPE & modemcap Recommendation [ In reply to ]
Hiya Chip,
> After several years away from dealing directly with dialup modem issues I
> have inherited responsibility for an AS5350 that takes incoming modem
> connections over 8 PRI lines. It has been a long time, so I'm fumbling a
> bit.

Well, welcome back, Chip.

> Memory: 128 MB
> Flash: 32 MB
> IOS: 12.2(2)XA5 (as far as anyone here knows it has never been updated)
> SPE: 0.7.9.0 (IOS default)
> Modemcap: not specified, so I assume it's the default, not nextport
>
> Callers with Lucent-based modems have trouble connecting, and once
> connected have trouble staying connected. I want to upgrade to more
> recent IOS and SPE to see if it helps our Lucent clients, but there is a
> catch. We are still using Extended TACACS (not TACACS+). Our UNIX admin
> is working on replacing it with RADIUS, but I need to address the Lucent
> client problem right now so can't wait for RADIUS to be ready some day.
>
> What is the most recent IOS version that can use Extended TACACS? As far
> as I can tell it is 12.2, but I want to make sure.

We officially declared that xtacacs was no longer supported back as of -
what? 11.3? Looks like the code's still there as of 12.3(11)T (which is
just what I had handy.) 12.3(recent) mainline should be a good pick for
you, if you don't need fancy new features (and I infer that you don't),
I suppose.

> What SPE version is recommended for use with 12.2 (or whatever recent IOS
> still supports Extended TACACS).

You can pretty much go with any SPE code that you want, with or without
upgrading IOS. 7.18.3 is good. 10.4.1 is the latest. See
http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/nextport-spe .
> Should we switch to the nextport modemcap, stay with default, or create a
> custom one?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

As far as modemcaps go - the default setting is pretty good.

Good luck,

Aaron

---

*Recommended modemcap *for NextPort CSMV/6 7.11 or above (always start a
modemcap with *&F*):

Recommended modemcap for 7.11 or above in a V.92/V.44 application
(requires IOS 12.2XA, 12.2XB or 12.2T):
*&FS0=0S62=8Q2*
* S0=0 *Don't delay answerback tone (see CSCdv19246
<http://wwwin-metrics/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCdv19246>, also
CSCdv89787
<http://wwwin-metrics.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCdv89787&show=Release-note>)

*S62=8 *Maximum MoH time 4 minutes (or whatever the
customer wants)
*Q2 *No result codes in answer mode

Recommended modemcap for 7.11 or above in a non-V.92 application:
*&FS0=0S29=6S21=3Q2*
*S29=6 *V.92 disabled
*S21=3 *V.42bis, MNP5 compression (disable V.44) Consider enabling LAPM SREJ (*S54=16*) (see CSCdx03968
* <http://wwwin-metrics.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCdx03968>
- requires 7.17 or above). This can provide enhanced throughput
to USR clients.
* Disable V.8bis if K56Flex isn't desired (*S53=0*)
* If you want NextPort to receive at a more conservative rate, set
S76 to 1, 2 or 3
* If you are seeing "illegal token" disconnects with clients that
are connected in V.44, then consider reducing the V.44 maximum
codewords to 1024, with *S65=1024S66=1024*. See CSCeb15172
<http://wwwin-metrics.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ddtsdisp.cgi?id=CSCeb15172>.
(Not clear yet whether this is a client problem or a CSMV/6 problem.)
Re: IOS, SPE & modemcap Recommendation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 04:32:33PM -0700, Aaron Leonard wrote:
> You can pretty much go with any SPE code that you want, with or without
> upgrading IOS. 7.18.3 is good. 10.4.1 is the latest. See
> http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/nextport-spe .

... coming back to this...

Is there any SPE code for AS5800 / MICA that is known to work for
Fax dial out? (reverse telnet to modem, set AT+FCLASS=2, dial with
ATD...)

Last time I asked, a few people said "it hasn't worked for us, so we
did it in a non-Cisco way", and some other people said "T.37/T.38
might work" (which isn't what my client software can do), but I haven't
yet received a definite "this is working for me!" response.

Our 5800 has no SmartNet contract, so I can't open a TAC case - and the
reseller that we have a contract with isn't very helpful here.

gert

//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
RE: IOS, SPE & modemcap Recommendation [ In reply to ]
Did u tried modem strings? If not u can try modem strings as well...for
example: http://www.808hi.com/56k/x2-lucent.htm

Regards,
Masood Ahmad Shah
Blog: http://www.weblogs.com.pk/jahil/