The followings are my Router version:

CPU: R4700

RAM: 64MB

Flash: 16MB

IOS: file: c3620-jk8o3s-mz.122-17

If you have some ideas related to this, please advice.

Regards,

Souphonh
Re: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
Dear Souphonh ,

Regarding the PPPOE sessions supported it's based on 2 factors
1-CPE
2-Memory
Also you can check the maximum number of Virtual-Access on 3620 by the
following command:
Router# show idb
Maximum number of IDBs 10000 ---> Maximum number on 7204
1135 SW IDBs allocated (2624 bytes each)

Regarding the IOS you can use this image
c7200-js-mz.122-27.bin

Best Regards,
Mounir Mohamed

RE: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
Dear Mounir Mohamed,

Thank you very much for your kindly assistance. I am really appreciate your
help. The following is my output of show idb on my Cisco 3620:

wbb_router#sh idb

Maximum number of IDBs 800

11 SW IDBs allocated (2608 bytes each)

7 HW IDBs allocated (4720 bytes each)

HWIDB#1 1 Ethernet0/0 (HW IFINDEX, Ether)

HWIDB#2 2 Ethernet0/1 (HW IFINDEX, Ether)

HWIDB#3 3 Ethernet0/2 (HW IFINDEX, Ether)

HWIDB#4 4 Ethernet0/3 (HW IFINDEX, Ether)

HWIDB#5 5 Virtual-Access1 (Serial, HW VACCESS)

HWIDB#6 6 Virtual-Template11 (HW IFINDEX, Serial, HW VTEMPLATE)

HWIDB#7 7 Loopback0 (HW IFINDEX)

So, it has maximum number of 800 IDBs, and it has been allocated 7. Does it
mean that we can use up to about 700+ PPPoE connection?

Re: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
Yes, Your router Platform can use 800 interface but i want clear some points,
the 800 IDBs value is not for PPPOE only, NO this value for (PPPOE,
PPPOA, all interfaces) logical or physical, and there is different
IDBs (SW= Software HW=Hardware) and upon your router output now you
are using 7 HW and 11 SW which is totaly 18 - 800= 782 IDBs it's good
number for Compnay but not for ISP

i hop that help :)

RE: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
And one important point: The 3620 will likely never be able to stustain
the load for a significant number of pppoe sessions (assuming those are
DSL customers).. You can likely terminate several hundreds idle sessions
at the same time, but once traffic is sent over the sessions, CPU can
max out.

You always have two components to worry about:

- control plane scalability (how many sessions at which rate)
- fowarding plance performance (how much traffic is switched through the
box)

Either one or both are limiting factors, so you could easily reach the
max with a single session transmitting at several Mbps per second on the
3620..

oli

RE: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
Dear All,

I am looking for small scale. The number of customers will be less than
1000. Customer will have bandwidth of 256Kbps for down stream and 128Kbps
for up stream. I think if 3620 PPPoE can support about 500 active PPPoE
sessions for that traffic, I can start with it. Please advice.

RE: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
Souphonh,

the 3620 is definitly far to small for this job. 500 users with
256k/128k result in ~190 Mbit/sec or, assuming IMIX, 60k pps, much more
than the 3620 can handle. you want to look at a faster router, like the
37xx/38xx or a 7200/NPE for this type of application.

oli

Souphonh Phounsavath <mailto:souphonh@laopdr.com> wrote on Wednesday,
November 09, 2005 6:51 AM:

Re: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:50:55PM +0700, Souphonh Phounsavath wrote:
> I am looking for small scale. The number of customers will be less than
> 1000. Customer will have bandwidth of 256Kbps for down stream and 128Kbps
> for up stream. I think if 3620 PPPoE can support about 500 active PPPoE
> sessions for that traffic, I can start with it. Please advice.

I'd rather not do it. The 3620 is old, dumb, and slow.

It might be able to do it if all the PPPoE customers are just reading
e-mail, and not doing anything using lots of bandwidth - but if half of
them really use their 256 Kbps, that's 60 Mbit, and this is far beyond
what a 3620 can handle.

You might want to get a 3640 from ebay (should be cheap), or get a
more reasonable device, like a 2851 or such.

gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Re: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
I believe that the attached PDF will totaly solve your problem :)

RE: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
Guys a new version can be found @
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperforma
nce.pdf

Re: Cisco 3620 PPPoE session limitation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 03:08:06PM +0200, Mounir Mohamed wrote:
> I believe that the attached PDF will totaly solve your problem :)

So how do you download the PDF into the 3620 to boost its CPU?

Seriously, it needs more than raw PPS/BPS numbers to select a router
for PPPoE deployment - you need to know the traffic pattern to expect
from the customer interface. Of course you can always plan for "all
customers will fill all their available bandwidth with small packets
(all the time and in both directions)", but then you'll have a fairly
expensive service...