Mailing List Archive

Problem with IOS change on AS5400
Hello. I'd like to hear any insight people might be able to offer on a
mysterious problem. We have an AS5400 we have been using for inbound
dialup with no problem. it was running 12.2 16. We upgraded it to 12.3
13b and dialup stopped working. People could still dial in and get
radius authentication, and the cisco would show them as logged in and
having been assigned an IP from the pool, but from the client side it
disconnects saying it timed out waiting on a response from the server.
Without changing anything in the config I reverted it to 12.2 16 again
and things worked fine again. The IOS versions have the same feature
set I believe. I'm including the flash contents here so you can see
the two IOS versions. Any suggestions people might have would be
appreciated.

voiptrunks#dir
Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 15241404 Oct 14 2005 21:35:51
c5400-js-mz.122-16.T17.bin
2 -rw- 401385 Oct 14 2005 21:55:53 np.8.8.1.spe
3 -rw- 15903976 Aug 21 2009 03:55:13 c5400-js-mz.123-13b.bin

31981568 bytes total (434416 bytes free)

--
"I do not much like to take the tone of a moralist. But the danger of
the baobabs is so little understood, and such considerable risks would

Re: Problem with IOS change on AS5400 [ In reply to ]
Joe,

I don't have any answer to this, but here's how you would figure it out.

1. while running 12.2(16) and with everything working as desired,
you would get this:

debug isdn q931 (or "debug cas", if using CAS)
debug csm modem
debug spe modem stati
debug modem
debug ppp negotiation
debug dhcp

Have a client dial in and connect up as desired.

2. Load up 12.3(13b) and have the same client dial in, with the
same debugs running, and let's see what happens.

Aaron

----

Re: Problem with IOS change on AS5400 [ In reply to ]
Let's also add in some AAA and RADIUS stuff:

debug aaa authen
debug aaa author
debug radius

and get the "show run".

Aaron

----

Re: Problem with IOS change on AS5400 [ In reply to ]
Debug ip peer?

:)

jd.

Josh Duffek
Systems Engineer, CCIE #7409, RCSP
Tredent Data Systems, Inc.
joshd@tredent.com
Desk: (805) 375-4911 ext 415
Mobile: (713) 291-2365
AIM: joshdTDS YIM:joshduffek
MSN: joshdTDS@hotmail.com
** http://support.tredent.com **
Re: Problem with IOS change on AS5400 [ In reply to ]
Aaron --

Thanks for the response. I appreciate your help figuring this one out. I
posted a later message about the same problem to this list with the subject
line "PPP fails with IOS upgrade," in which I included some of the debug
output you are asking for. The problem is certainly occurring after call
completion, after radius authentication, and after the cisco at least thinks
it has assigned an IP, because a "show users" output (while the PC has gone
past authenticating and says "Registering your computer with the remote
server") shows the user with an assigned IP address on the cisco side.

If you refer to the later message I think you'll find more specific
information. If you'd like a copy of the show run from the box let me know.

Let's also add in some AAA and RADIUS stuff:

debug aaa authen
debug aaa author
debug radius

and get the "show run".

Aaron

----

On 8/24/2009 9:56 AM, Aaron@Cisco.COM (Aaron Leonard) wrote:
> Joe,
>
> I don't have any answer to this, but here's how you would figure it out.
>
> 1. while running 12.2(16) and with everything working as desired,
> you would get this:
>
> debug isdn q931 (or "debug cas", if using CAS)
> debug csm modem
> debug spe modem stati
> debug modem
> debug ppp negotiation
> debug dhcp
>
> Have a client dial in and connect up as desired.
>
> 2. Load up 12.3(13b) and have the same client dial in, with the
> same debugs running, and let's see what happens.
>
> Aaron
>
> ----
>
> On 8/21/2009 11:12 PM, jfmays@launchpad.win.net (Joe Mays) wrote:
>> Hello. I'd like to hear any insight people might be able to offer on a
>> mysterious problem. We have an AS5400 we have been using for inbound
>> dialup with no problem. it was running 12.2 16. We upgraded it to 12.3
>> 13b and dialup stopped working. People could still dial in and get
>> radius authentication, and the cisco would show them as logged in and
>> having been assigned an IP from the pool, but from the client side it
>> disconnects saying it timed out waiting on a response from the server.
>> Without changing anything in the config I reverted it to 12.2 16 again
>> and things worked fine again. The IOS versions have the same feature
>> set I believe. I'm including the flash contents here so you can see
>> the two IOS versions. Any suggestions people might have would be
>> appreciated.
>>

>> voiptrunks#dir
>> Directory of flash:/
>>
>> 1 -rw- 15241404 Oct 14 2005 21:35:51
>> c5400-js-mz.122-16.T17.bin
>> 2 -rw- 401385 Oct 14 2005 21:55:53 np.8.8.1.spe
>> 3 -rw- 15903976 Aug 21 2009 03:55:13 c5400-js-mz.123-13b.bin
>>
>> 31981568 bytes total (434416 bytes free)
>>

>> --
>> "I do not much like to take the tone of a moralist. But the danger of
>> the baobabs is so little understood, and such considerable risks would
>> be run by anyone who might get lost on an asteroid, that for once I am
>> breaking through my reserve. 'Children,' I say plainly, 'watch out for
>> the baobabs!'"
>> -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, "The Little Prince"

BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Teach Your Spam and Virus filtering service if this mail (ID 157629441) is
spam:
Spam: http://filter.win.net/b.php?i=157629441&m=e1a9addd85b0&c=s
Not spam: http://filter.win.net/b.php?i=157629441&m=e1a9addd85b0&c=n
Forget vote: http://filter.win.net/b.php?i=157629441&m=e1a9addd85b0&c=f
Re: Problem with IOS change on AS5400 [ In reply to ]
Yep, saw that one, which is why the additional debugs will be useful
too. (incl. the "debug ip peer" that Josh suggested [hi, Josh!])

----