Mailing List Archive

X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP
Hi,

a customer of ours currently has a dedicated PABX which is feeding an
ISDN PRI into a bank of about 20 "ISDN modems" (USR Courier I-Modem,
which do X.75 and "V.34 stuff" modem calls). Modems are connected
to serial terminal servers, which in turn connect to an AIX unix system.

Customer is unhappy, because these take up lots of space, the PABX is
expensive, modems crash and need a reset, USR Courier I-Modems are not
sold "new" anymore, and so on.

So the idea was to build something with a router - PRI channel into
router, "transparent TCP stream" out of the router to the AIX system,
to be handled by a something like telnetd. We can handle everything on
the AIX side, the questions are on the router side :-)

- as far as I understand AS5xxx boxes, this should be doable with
an AS5350 or the like

- what do I need to terminate X.75 calls? Do I need modem DSPs, or
will the X.75 be handled by the "digital side"?

- I assume that X.75 calls will end up on a "line async ...", so I can
put an "autocommand" there, to immediately connect from the router
to the host at CONNECT time (*no* prompting or any sort of messages
from the router is permitted).

Will that work? It MUST be a) completely 8-bit transparent (Zmodem
transfers over X.75) and b) completely silent (end user call-up scripts
get upset if 'yet-unseen' messages show up).

- is there Cisco gear that can handle X.75 on BRI lines (so we could
develop and test this on an ISDN S0 port, without disconnecting the
whole PABX)?

- some of the clients have 'issues' with X75 window and block sizes - can
this be tuned on the Cisco side, as in "we need to have the X75 block
size set to 4096 byte on reception, 8192 on transmission"?

If Cisco cannot do this - any other gear that's still sold and supported
(important!) that one could use to terminate X.75 and modem calls?

thanks,

gert
//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Gert,

I don't think Cisco ISDN equipment supports X.75.

Many years back we had US Robotics Total Control with dual PRA per
card, these can do it.
USR was sold to 3COM, no idea this is still supported officially.

I think the later versions of firmware of the 3COM support syncPPP
and this works perfectly on a Cisco access servers or routers with
ISDN interface (PRI or BRI)
In this case you don't need 'modems' on the Cisco router

Maybe this helps too.
ftp://ftp.usrsupport.ru/datasheets/0698-ds.pdf

Marc Neuckens
Belgacom

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi Gert,

> a customer of ours currently has a dedicated PABX which is feeding an
> ISDN PRI into a bank of about 20 "ISDN modems" (USR Courier I-Modem,
> which do X.75 and "V.34 stuff" modem calls). Modems are connected
> to serial terminal servers, which in turn connect to an AIX unix system.
>
> Customer is unhappy, because these take up lots of space, the PABX is
> expensive, modems crash and need a reset, USR Courier I-Modems are not
> sold "new" anymore, and so on.
>
> So the idea was to build something with a router - PRI channel into
> router, "transparent TCP stream" out of the router to the AIX system,
> to be handled by a something like telnetd. We can handle everything on
> the AIX side, the questions are on the router side :-)
>
> - as far as I understand AS5xxx boxes, this should be doable with
> an AS5350 or the like

Yes.

> - what do I need to terminate X.75 calls? Do I need modem DSPs, or
> will the X.75 be handled by the "digital side"?

The framing for incoming "X.75" calls (which we call "LAPB-TA") are
handled by the onboard framers in the T1/E1/T3 trunk card plus IOS
software, so no DSPs are used for this application.

> - I assume that X.75 calls will end up on a "line async ...",

actually on a vty line

> so I can
> put an "autocommand" there, to immediately connect from the router
> to the host at CONNECT time (*no* prompting or any sort of messages
> from the router is permitted).

Yep.

> Will that work? It MUST be a) completely 8-bit transparent (Zmodem
> transfers over X.75) and b) completely silent (end user call-up scripts
> get upset if 'yet-unseen' messages show up).

Should work.

Here's the config for this, more or less. Here I am assuming that you
intend to support both voiceband modem modulations (V.90, V.34, V.32,
etc.) and LAPB-TA, on calls into your E1, but nothing else (not V.110,
V.120, sync PPP ...)

ip telnet quiet
aaa authentication login DIALIN none
aaa authorization exec DIALIN none
no banner incoming
!
interface serial BLAH:15
isdn incoming-voice modem
autodetect encapsulation lapb-ta
!
line vty 0 4
location first 5 VTYs are used for administrative telnet/ssh
transport input ssh telnet
line vty 5 34
location VTYs for LAPB-TA (X.75) callers
login authentication DIALIN
authorization exec DIALIN
autocommand telnet 1.2.3.4
no exec-banner
escape-character NONE
special-character-bits 8
line 1/0 1/59
location TTY lines for modem callers
login authentication DIALIN
authorization exec DIALIN
autocommand telnet 1.2.3.4
no exec-banner
escape-character NONE
special-character-bits 8

> - is there Cisco gear that can handle X.75 on BRI lines (so we could
> develop and test this on an ISDN S0 port, without disconnecting the
> whole PABX)?

Actually, you could configure your 5350 to do TDM switching for all
calls other than those to a special test number. So then you could hook
things up like this:

{PSTN}--E1--[[port 0] 5350 [port 1]]--E1--[PABX]

(5350 config commands outside the scope of this message)

Then once you've got things working to your test #, just unconfigure the
TDM switching and turn off your PABX :)

But ... yes, any ISR (1800/2800/3800) that supports data BRI calls,
should also support LAPB-TA. You will need an image that supports this
(check Feature Navigator http://www.cisco.com/go/fn - "ISDN LAPB-TA").

> - some of the clients have 'issues' with X75 window and block sizes - can
> this be tuned on the Cisco side, as in "we need to have the X75 block
> size set to 4096 byte on reception, 8192 on transmission"?

Ooh, not aware of any way to do that. (Nor have I ever heard of anyone
*need* to.)

> If Cisco cannot do this - any other gear that's still sold and supported
> (important!) that one could use to terminate X.75 and modem calls?
>
> thanks,
>
> gert

I'll let someone else try that one.

Cheers,

Aaron
Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:09:43PM +0100, marc@belbone.net wrote:
> I don't think Cisco ISDN equipment supports X.75.

They do :-) - See Aaron's post. It's a "somewhat" recent addition
(it came a few years after everyone else, so the notion that "Cisco
cannot do it" has stuck).

> Many years back we had US Robotics Total Control with dual PRA per
> card, these can do it.
> USR was sold to 3COM, no idea this is still supported officially.

3COM effectively wrecked all the good stuff that USR did. Including
the I-Modem. Which I really hate them for.

> I think the later versions of firmware of the 3COM support syncPPP
> and this works perfectly on a Cisco access servers or routers with
> ISDN interface (PRI or BRI)
> In this case you don't need 'modems' on the Cisco router

I have modems on the client side, and very specific software (medical
requirements) that will *not* speak any sort of IP. It will do
"call up modem, follow a given chat sequence, do zmodem download,
hang up".

But anyway, thanks for that suggestion :-)

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:10:56PM -0700, Aaron Leonard wrote:
> > - as far as I understand AS5xxx boxes, this should be doable with
> > an AS5350 or the like
>
> Yes.

Cool :-)

> > - what do I need to terminate X.75 calls? Do I need modem DSPs, or
> > will the X.75 be handled by the "digital side"?
>
> The framing for incoming "X.75" calls (which we call "LAPB-TA") are
> handled by the onboard framers in the T1/E1/T3 trunk card plus IOS
> software, so no DSPs are used for this application.

Even better. (I seem to remember that there was "something ISDNish"
that needed DSP resources, but maybe I mixed up things).

> > - I assume that X.75 calls will end up on a "line async ...",
> actually on a vty line

How do you know/control which vty is being used?

> > so I can
> > put an "autocommand" there, to immediately connect from the router
> > to the host at CONNECT time (*no* prompting or any sort of messages
> > from the router is permitted).
>
> Yep.

Cool. I need to test that :-)

[..]
> ip telnet quiet

Ah. Magic!

> line vty 5 34
[..]
> escape-character NONE
> special-character-bits 8

More magic :-)

> > - is there Cisco gear that can handle X.75 on BRI lines (so we could
> > develop and test this on an ISDN S0 port, without disconnecting the
> > whole PABX)?
> >

> Actually, you could configure your 5350 to do TDM switching for all
> calls other than those to a special test number.

Interesting approach, but I *think* I'll get something-with-a-PRI first,
avoid more complications. The customer is a bit nervous about this whole
dial-in thing anyway... so they can test this for a few weeks, without
endangering their existing stuff at all.

[..]
> But ... yes, any ISR (1800/2800/3800) that supports data BRI calls,
> should also support LAPB-TA. You will need an image that supports this
> (check Feature Navigator http://www.cisco.com/go/fn - "ISDN LAPB-TA").

FN claims that this is available on 3640 in 12.0T/12.1 and up. In all
available IOS features, that is, "IP only" or better.

Which is cool, because we have a heap of 3640+NM-8Bs lying around
(formerly being used to terminate ISDN leased lines) that I can use
for testing.

> > - some of the clients have 'issues' with X75 window and block sizes - can
> > this be tuned on the Cisco side, as in "we need to have the X75 block
> > size set to 4096 byte on reception, 8192 on transmission"?
>
> Ooh, not aware of any way to do that. (Nor have I ever heard of anyone
> *need* to.)

There are "known issues" with some sort of windows ISDN card dialling into
some other sort of ISDN modems (Blatzheim) which just doesn't work
properly for bulk transfers over X.75 (i.e.: zmodem) unless a window size
mismatch is fixed.

I don't know exactly yet what the mismatch *is*, and why it is causing
issues...

In any case - thank you very much, this is very cool! :-))

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
>>> - what do I need to terminate X.75 calls? Do I need modem DSPs, or
>>> will the X.75 be handled by the "digital side"?
>>>
>> The framing for incoming "X.75" calls (which we call "LAPB-TA") are
>> handled by the onboard framers in the T1/E1/T3 trunk card plus IOS
>> software, so no DSPs are used for this application.
>>

> Even better. (I seem to remember that there was "something ISDNish"
> that needed DSP resources, but maybe I mixed up things).

Your memory is probably correct. DSP resources are, or can be, used for the following "ISDNish" protocols:

* V.110 (inbound and outbound)
* V.120 (DSPs necessary for outbound, optional for inbound)
* 64/56k sync framed PPP/HDLC calls (inbound and outbound) (DSPs
only needed if the trunk card doesn't have enough onboard HDLC
framer resources - this only applies to CT3 cards, not to CT1/CE1).

LAPB-TA never uses DSP resources.

Obtw - we do not support outbound LAPB-TA, only inbound. So if you need
to do callback (which some of you European fellows seem to favor for
some reason) ... the 5350 wouldn't be suitable.

>>> - I assume that X.75 calls will end up on a "line async ...",
>>>
>> actually on a vty line
>>

> How do you know/control which vty is being used?

Ah ... by the magical "transport input lapb" command which I somehow
managed to omit from my previously posted sample config. Let me try it
again, with the missing command in place:

ip telnet quiet
aaa authentication login DIALIN none
aaa authorization exec DIALIN none
no banner incoming
!
interface serial BLAH:15
isdn incoming-voice modem
autodetect encapsulation lapb-ta
!
line vty 0 4
location first 5 VTYs are used for administrative telnet/ssh
transport input ssh telnet
line vty 5 34
location VTYs for LAPB-TA (X.75) callers
transport input lapb
login authentication DIALIN
authorization exec DIALIN
autocommand telnet 1.2.3.4
no exec-banner
escape-character NONE
special-character-bits 8
line 1/0 1/59
location TTY lines for modem callers
login authentication DIALIN
authorization exec DIALIN
autocommand telnet 1.2.3.4
no exec-banner
escape-character NONE
special-character-bits 8

So the LAPB-TA calls will go to VTYs 5 thru 34, while the administrative telnet/ssh connections will go to VTYs 0 thru 4.

Cheers,

Aaron

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi,

quite a while ago...

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:10:56PM -0700, Aaron Leonard wrote:
> > a customer of ours currently has a dedicated PABX which is feeding an
> > ISDN PRI into a bank of about 20 "ISDN modems" (USR Courier I-Modem,
> > which do X.75 and "V.34 stuff" modem calls). Modems are connected
> > to serial terminal servers, which in turn connect to an AIX unix system.
[..]
> > So the idea was to build something with a router - PRI channel into
> > router, "transparent TCP stream" out of the router to the AIX system,
[..]

> Should work.
>
> Here's the config for this, more or less. Here I am assuming that you
> intend to support both voiceband modem modulations (V.90, V.34, V.32,
> etc.) and LAPB-TA, on calls into your E1, but nothing else (not V.110,
> V.120, sync PPP ...)

The customer finally gave me the "go" for this project, and I did some
initial tests on a 3640 with an NM-8B today.

What shall I say? "Thank you very much!!"

Everything worked right out of the box. The calls come in, X.75
autodetection seems to work every time (unlike some of the existing ISDN
modems), the setup is fairly robust (again, unlike some of the existing
ISDN modems...), and the Cisco side is really perfectly quiet and
transparent about things.

Customer is duly impressed :-) (and we're now trying to figure out
what sort of hardware to get, because they don't know yet whether they
need to handle analog calls or isdn only, or modem as well - and whether
they will have a PMX or just "many ISDN S/T").

Now, two more questions have come up.

- the 3640 only has 16 vty lines (0..15). This is on 12.2(46a) "ip only".

If I fill the NM-8B with calls, I might have 16 concurrent X.75
calls - double that for 2 NM-8Bs, or for a PRI interface.

Will more recent IOS versions and/or different packaging (ip plus) give
me more VTYs? Is this documented anywhere?

- for troubleshooting, it would be good to have the incoming caller ID
information somewhere on the Unix host. The router has it (obviously),
but the telnetd on the unix side doesn't.

Will some sort of "AAA accounting" give me caller ID information?
Radius, for example? (As this is not a "typical" dial-in thing...)

I seem to remember that there is some sort of special "dialer" accounting
- will that work?

In any case - thanks again for your advice, and if you ever happen to be
in Munich, i owe you a beer or two :-)

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi,

(well).

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 04:35:12PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> - for troubleshooting, it would be good to have the incoming caller ID
> information somewhere on the Unix host. The router has it (obviously),
> but the telnetd on the unix side doesn't.
>
> Will some sort of "AAA accounting" give me caller ID information?
> Radius, for example? (As this is not a "typical" dial-in thing...)

"test first, ask later" - sorry for that.

Radius will do the job:

NAS Port Attribute (5), length: 6, Value: 135
NAS Port Type Attribute (61), length: 6, Value: X.75
Called Station Attribute (30), length: 8, Value: 185257
Calling Station Attribute (31), length: 11, Value: 891216024
Accounting Status Attribute (40), length: 6, Value: Stop
Service Type Attribute (6), length: 6, Value: NAS Prompt

(I'm not sure how to decode the "NAS Port" attribute, but I'll go googling)

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi Gert,

Glad to hear that it's working well for you! More inline below.

>> Should work.
>>
>> Here's the config for this, more or less. Here I am assuming that you
>> intend to support both voiceband modem modulations (V.90, V.34, V.32,
>> etc.) and LAPB-TA, on calls into your E1, but nothing else (not V.110,
>> V.120, sync PPP ...)
>>

> The customer finally gave me the "go" for this project, and I did some
> initial tests on a 3640 with an NM-8B today.
>
> What shall I say? "Thank you very much!!"
>

> Everything worked right out of the box. The calls come in, X.75
> autodetection seems to work every time (unlike some of the existing ISDN
> modems), the setup is fairly robust (again, unlike some of the existing
> ISDN modems...), and the Cisco side is really perfectly quiet and
> transparent about things.
>
> Customer is duly impressed :-) (and we're now trying to figure out
> what sort of hardware to get, because they don't know yet whether they
> need to handle analog calls or isdn only, or modem as well - and whether
> they will have a PMX or just "many ISDN S/T").
>

> Now, two more questions have come up.
>
> - the 3640 only has 16 vty lines (0..15). This is on 12.2(46a) "ip only".
>
> If I fill the NM-8B with calls, I might have 16 concurrent X.75
> calls - double that for 2 NM-8Bs, or for a PRI interface.
>
> Will more recent IOS versions and/or different packaging (ip plus) give
> me more VTYs? Is this documented anywhere?

Is that only 16 VTYs by default? Can you not make some more?
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_0/router/configuration/guide/cterm.html#wp1245).
Let me check with my lab 3640:

tucson-3640(config)#line vty 0 ?
<1-871> Last Line number
<cr>

Wow, 872 VTYs, that's a lot! Let's see what I'm running:

tucson-3640#sh ver | i IOS
Cisco IOS Software, 3600 Software (C3640-IK9S-M), Version 12.4(19),
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

According to the 12.2 docs, you should have 872 also:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/termserv/configuration/guide/tcfpt_ps1835_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1001791
- it does say "with translation option", though, so I suppose this means
you need a featureset with the Protocol Translation feature (-is-, -p7-,
etc.)

> - for troubleshooting, it would be good to have the incoming caller ID
> information somewhere on the Unix host. The router has it (obviously),
> but the telnetd on the unix side doesn't.
>
> Will some sort of "AAA accounting" give me caller ID information?
> Radius, for example? (As this is not a "typical" dial-in thing...)

(looks like you found it)

> I seem to remember that there is some sort of special "dialer" accounting
> - will that work?

You can try "modem call-record", which can log to syslog ... not sure if
it'll show anything for the X.75 calls, tho.

> In any case - thanks again for your advice, and if you ever happen to be
> in Munich, i owe you a beer or two :-)
>
> gert

That's the best offer I've heard all day! A beer or 2 in Munich, eh?
Let's see ... Oktoberfest starts Sept. 19 this year ...

Cheers,

Aaron
Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 01:01:08PM -0700, Aaron Leonard wrote:
> > - the 3640 only has 16 vty lines (0..15). This is on 12.2(46a) "ip only".
>
> Is that only 16 VTYs by default? Can you not make some more?

It's refusing to give me more.

> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_0/router/configuration/guide/cterm.html#wp1245).
> Let me check with my lab 3640:
>
> tucson-3640(config)#line vty 0 ?
> <1-871> Last Line number
> <cr>
>
> Wow, 872 VTYs, that's a lot! Let's see what I'm running:

"ip plus" is the key. I've put a "plus" image on the router, and I
have 872 VTYs now as well :-)

[..]
> > I seem to remember that there is some sort of special "dialer" accounting
> > - will that work?
>
> You can try "modem call-record", which can log to syslog ... not sure if
> it'll show anything for the X.75 calls, tho.

Will test, thanks.

> > In any case - thanks again for your advice, and if you ever happen to be
> > in Munich, i owe you a beer or two :-)
>
> That's the best offer I've heard all day! A beer or 2 in Munich, eh?
> Let's see ... Oktoberfest starts Sept. 19 this year ...

*g* - just send me an e-mail...

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi Aaron,

this "X.75 and modem dial-in" thing is slowly proceeding...

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:10:56PM -0700, Aaron Leonard wrote:
> Here's the config for this, more or less. Here I am assuming that you
> intend to support both voiceband modem modulations (V.90, V.34, V.32,
> etc.) and LAPB-TA, on calls into your E1, but nothing else (not V.110,
> V.120, sync PPP ...)

... and this works nicely for X.75 calls (adding the initially-missing
"transport input lapb-ta"). Indeed, it works *very* well :-))

I'm stuck with modem calls, though. Both the 3640 + NM-30DM and the
AS5300 that we bought in the mean time show the same error message upon
incoming modem calls ("debug isdn event" is active):

ISDN Se0:15 EVENT: process_rxstate: ces/callid 1/0x1C calltype 2 CALL_INCOMING
ISDN Se0:15 EVENT: UserIdle: callid 0x1C received ACCEPT_CALL (0x13)
ISDN Se0:15 **ERROR**: accept_incoming_csm_call: modem problem Requested circuit/channel not available(0x2C): b channel 0, call id 0x1C
ISDN Se0:15 EVENT: process_rxstate: ces/callid 1/0x1C calltype 2 CALL_CLEARED

- I couldn't find anything in google that gave me a useful hint on why
it doesn't want to accept the modem call, or how to further debug this :-(

I did some experiments with "group-async" interfaces, but that didn't
really change anything (and also seems to be the way to run IP over modems,
which I don't need).

> line 1/0 1/59
> location TTY lines for modem callers
> login authentication DIALIN

... this is configured, with "transport input all", but doesn't seem to
be enough.

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 02:59:18PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> I'm stuck with modem calls, though. Both the 3640 + NM-30DM and the
> AS5300 that we bought in the mean time show the same error message upon
> incoming modem calls ("debug isdn event" is active):

OK. More data. "debug modem csm..." makes it say the following:

May 11 14:59:08: VDEV_ALLOCATE: failed to allocate a device
May 11 14:59:08: VDEV_ALLOCATE_ALMOST_READY: failed to allocate a non-idle modem

... but all modems are idle...

... and the solution was, as usual, quite obvious once I had found it
(after quite a time of trying this and that and comparing with other
configurations that did work)...

line 1 120
modem dialin

... sow now I get incoming modem calls :-) (I'm not sure whether all
the rest works nicely, like "flow control on large downloads" and such,
but this will be tested next).

thanks for listening :)

Re: X.75 and modem dial-in, autocommand to TCP [ In reply to ]
Glad you found it ... yes, you need "modem dialin" or "modem inout"
configured on your modem lines, for them to be willing to accept
incoming calls.

Cheers,

Aaron