Our Service Provider require LNS/LAC, L2TP, VRF, and Radius.

Thanks,
Bruce
Re: 7204VXR vs ASR1001-x (as LNS / provider is LAC) [ In reply to ]
Depends on your market. If your anticipated user base is going to use a
lot of bandwidth, then you'll quickly exhaust the 7200 series, whereas
the ASR-X series can scale.

If you use a 7200, be prepared for it to fall over whenever a single
user is hit by small DDoS attack. ASR-X's have handled these well
enough in my experience.

If you have space/power constraints, you can support more with a 1 or
2RU ASR-X than a rack full of 7200's.

QoS support scales better on the ASR-X series.

Finally, TAC.

-- Stephen

Re: 7204VXR vs ASR1001-x (as LNS / provider is LAC) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017, Bruce Technical wrote:

> Hi,
> We are entering the DSL reseller market and costs for ASR1001-x or ASR1002-x are in the $20k+ for Cisco ASR1001-x + IP Advance Licenses
> + 500 Sessions.
>
> We are considering used 7204VXR. What is it in ASR1001-x that 7204VXR can't do for example?
>
> Our Service Provider require LNS/LAC, L2TP, VRF, and Radius.

What type/speed interface are you looking at using to connect to the telco
or whoever's DSL you're looking at reselling? Back when I was involved in
this, it was common to use ATM, either T1, NxT1, or T3, and we did this
with 3640 or 7206VXR. But this was back when DSL was generally 1.5Mx256k.

Re: 7204VXR vs ASR1001-x (as LNS / provider is LAC) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

We use a 7204vxr with an NPE-G2 as an LNS, Carrier sends sessions from their LAC to us via L2TP tunnel.

Use it more for FTTx than DSL, have about 30 DSL sessions and 400 FTTX connections, varying fom 12/1 to 100/40. Pretty impressed with the NPE-G2, we average about 30-40% CPU with those connections, no extra cards in device, just using standard 3 gigabit ports on the NPE, one for inbound sessions, one for internet and one for radius.

In the process of putting in an ASR1004 with an ESP40 in a couple of weeks, a lot more coin than the 7204, but consolidating a bit and we do a lot of L2 Fibre connections to business customers, biggest reason is to get netflow for new data retention laws.

Not being a Cisco expert by any means, moving from a switch platform to a router platform has been a huge learning curve!