Mailing List Archive

Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation
Owner: ste...@konink.de
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Low Component-UI

New issue 630 by ste...@konink.de: Showcase Cherokee in the default
installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. The page that Cherokee shows (that everything is installed correctly) is
rather minimalistic.
2. We could do some showcasing with the installed features
2a. Hidden downloads
2b. Streaming
2c. Redirection

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Updates:
Comment #1 on issue 630 by alobbs: Showcase Cherokee in the default
installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

Well, it does what it is meant to do, actually. It let the user know that
the web
server is up and running.

In my understanding we should keep that page as clean and simple as
possible. Do you
have an example of what you'd like to add?

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Comment #2 on issue 630 by ste...@konink.de: Showcase Cherokee in the
default installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

Like points 2a,b,c it will directly show the user the configuration
required for
Cherokee to function. I agree that this could look as a 'fat' default. But
since we now
showoff with a 'fast' webserver and not a 'flexible' webserver I think we
could improve
on that point.

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Comment #3 on issue 630 by alobbs: Showcase Cherokee in the default
installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

Still not sure what you'd like to implement.

You meant something like, adding new rules to the default configuration
file, so when
users launch their web server the "it's working" page include video
streaming, sec.
downloads, etc?

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Comment #4 on issue 630 by ste...@konink.de: Showcase Cherokee in the
default installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

You totally get my point :)

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Comment #5 on issue 630 by binb...@b2host.de: Showcase Cherokee in the
default installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

Why not add something like Mozilla start page (it shows it when it does
upgrades ->
videostream window etc.) in the default htdocs of cherokee?

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Comment #6 on issue 630 by ste...@konink.de: Showcase Cherokee in the
default installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

+RSS feed of the Cherokee Planet ;)

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Comment #7 on issue 630 by tahers: Showcase Cherokee in the default
installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

Sorry, but I have to vote -1 to this one. I'd go for the KISS principle.
Stream, RSS, whatever we add can backfire if there's no outer connectivity,
browser
incompatibilities (hello, Lynx users!) or incomplete, etc.

Not likely, but still seems like unnecessary overhead to me.

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Comment #8 on issue 630 by alobbs: Showcase Cherokee in the default
installation
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=630

I even though of (dynamically) adding some content from
cherokee-project.com.
However, I don't think that something the average user would appreciate.

Re: Issue 630 in cherokee: Showcase Cherokee in the default installation [ In reply to ]
Updates:

Comment #9 on issue 630 by ste...@konink.de: Showcase Cherokee in the