Mailing List Archive

Catalyst 'forward' function doesn't return any value
Hi,

This is my first message here and my first few days with inherited
catalyst app so please be understanding.
I have the catalyst app deployed on a server and I can see code like this:

my $variable = $c->forward(qw/Curate::Controller::Utils _get_timestamp/)

On my local development machine I see the variable is always
null/none/whatever you call it in the Perl world.
I guess this is due to some incompatibility in Catalyst versions
between the server an my dev machine and the 'forward' function has
changed its behavior in the meantime.
I've described my problem in a good detail (with code) in this SO question:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44824288/catalyst-forward-function-doesnt-return-any-value

Can you please help me figuring out how can I assign the value to the
variable without stashing it?

Kind regards,

Micha? Nowotka

Re: Catalyst 'forward' function doesn't return any value [ In reply to ]
Also my first post to the Catalyst list. :-) Are you on the same perl version on your development machine?

Re: Catalyst 'forward' function doesn't return any value [ In reply to ]
Check that your development environment matches the server environment,
including Perl version/location (such as using local::lib etc.) - also
make sure they are using the same versions of the application and then
do a matched upgrade to see if there are any incompatibilities.

You can always use Perlbrew to have multiple Perl environments for testing.

Looked at SO and your code seemed fine which makes me think this is an
env. issue and not a code issue, but without a running example that
fails we can't say.

-mdk

On 29/06/2017 15:49, Rick Bychowski wrote:
> Also my first post to the Catalyst list. :-) Are you on the same perl version on your development machine?
> On Jun 29, 2017 5:06 AM, Micha? Nowotka <mmmnow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is my first message here and my first few days with inherited
>> catalyst app so please be understanding.
>> I have the catalyst app deployed on a server and I can see code like this:
>>
>> my $variable = $c->forward(qw/Curate::Controller::Utils _get_timestamp/)
>>
>> On my local development machine I see the variable is always
>> null/none/whatever you call it in the Perl world.
>> I guess this is due to some incompatibility in Catalyst versions
>> between the server an my dev machine and the 'forward' function has
>> changed its behavior in the meantime.
>> I've described my problem in a good detail (with code) in this SO question:
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44824288/catalyst-forward-function-doesnt-return-any-value
>>
>> Can you please help me figuring out how can I assign the value to the
>> variable without stashing it?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Micha? Nowotka

Mark Keating | Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder

Director | Shadowcat Systems Limited
Enlightened Perl Organisation
Lancaster and Morecambe Makers
FLOSSUK (UKUUG Limited)

Community Contributor | The Perl Foundation
Enlightened Perl Organisation
Lancaster and Morecambe Makers
FLOSSUK
Digital Lancaster
Independent Lancaster
Lancaster Hour
Ethical Small Trader's Association

Social Links | http://shadow.cat/blog/mark-keating/
http://linkedin.com/in/markkeating
@shadowcat_mdk

Shadowcat Systems Limited
Is a Company registered in England and Wales.
Company address: The Barracks, White Cross, South Road, Lancaster, LA1 4XQ.
Company Registration Number: 05420396.
Company VAT Number: 868 9313 71

Disclaimer
of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shadowcat Systems Limited.

upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you
have received this email in error immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or
make copies thereof.