Mailing List Archive

cloning
Cloning from PostgreSQL 7 and installing the clone on PostgreSQL 8
works. Does the reverse?

ALEX HOWARTH
DEVELOPER

200 GRAY'S INN ROAD
LONDON
WC1X 8XZ
UNITED KINGDOM
T +44 (0)20 7430 4024
F +44 (0)20 7430 4020
E ALEX.HOWARTH@ITN.CO.UK
WWW.ITN.CO.UK
Please Note:

or entity to which they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error, please notify postmaster@itn.co.uk

Thank You.
Re: cloning [ In reply to ]
On Jul 25, 2006, at 08:40, Alex Howarth wrote:

> Cloning from PostgreSQL 7 and installing the clone on PostgreSQL 8
> works. Does the reverse?

If you use the PostgreSQL 7 client to connect to the PostgreSQL 8
database, I believe it will work. But why on earth would you go back
to 7?

Best,

David
Re: cloning [ In reply to ]
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2006, at 08:40, Alex Howarth wrote:
>
>> Cloning from PostgreSQL 7 and installing the clone on PostgreSQL 8
>> works. Does the reverse?
>
> If you use the PostgreSQL 7 client to connect to the PostgreSQL 8
> database, I believe it will work. But why on earth would you go back to 7?

The box I took the clone from is debian stable which is at
7.4.7-6sarge1. I installed the clone on unstable and which has
PostgreSQL 8 and made modifications to elements and templates.

Re: cloning [ In reply to ]
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2006, at 09:41, Alex Howarth wrote:
> I specifically recommend *against* Debian stable. Its packages tend to
> be very far out of date (for example, the latest 7.4 release is 7.4.13,
> which includes an important security fix). Debian unstable seems to be
> much more up-to-date.

Totally agree with you - one day I'll get some free time :-)

Re: cloning [ In reply to ]

Re: cloning [ In reply to ]
> > Also, when cloning fails, the (tediously acquired) configuration is wiped
> > out
> > and one has to start from scratch again!
>
> I don't know why it would. Can you say more about this?

I did "make clone" (I think, or something similar) but it didn't finish. So,
after that, "make install" and "make upgrade" didn't work (no target to make
"install" or some such)

So, a failed "make clone" wiped something out, such that I had to redo "perl
Makefile.PL", then make, then the numerous configuration options -- all over
again.

When I get a minute, I'll try to recreate that.

thanks.

Re: cloning [ In reply to ]
On Feb 10, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Bric wrote:

> I did "make clone" (I think, or something similar) but it didn't finish. So,
> after that, "make install" and "make upgrade" didn't work (no target to make
> "install" or some such)
>
> So, a failed "make clone" wiped something out, such that I had to redo "perl
> Makefile.PL", then make, then the numerous configuration options -- all over
> again.
>
> When I get a minute, I'll try to recreate that.

I think you need a freshly-unpacked tarball to `make clone`. So it would delete the config files before it starts, IIRC. If you don't want that, use a freshly unpacked tarball instead of the one you used to install.

Best,

David