Mailing List Archive

Publishing & Distribution
I've been experiment with Bricolage for a while now, and thought it was
about time to actually publish something. Alas, it's proving to be a
problem, as nothing I do appears to distribute anything.

I have just one story, and it previews correctly - it couldn't be much
simpler.

The relevant bricolage.conf settings are:

ENABLE_DIST = Yes
DIST_ATTEMPTS = 3
PREVIEW_LOCAL = Yes
PREVIEW_MASON = No
DEF_MEDIA_TYPE = text/html
ENABLE_SFTP_MOVER = Yes
SFTP_MOVER_CIPHER = 0
SFTP_KEY_TYPE = ssh-rsa
SFTP_PRIVATE_KEY_FILE = /etc/ssh/ssh_bric
SFTP_PUBLIC_KEY_FILE = /etc/ssh/ssh_bric.pub
ENABLE_WEBDAV_MOVER = No
QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS = No
FTP_UNLINK_BEFORE_MOVE = No

I have now two destinations configured:

`Local` publishes to the local file system
`Nginx` publishes via SFTP to an Nginx server

At first, I just had the SFTP destination configured. As this is a more
complex configuration, I added the local destination too. I've toggled
between them, and tried both at once.

I've published repeatedly using both the Bulk Publish option, and the
option to publish stories individually. I've set publish times to past,
present and future.

I've then run both `bric_dist_mon` (QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS = No) and
`briq_queued` (QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS = Yes), both to no avail:

bric_dist_mon -c -u myuser -p mypassword -d
bric_dist_mon[11073]: Debug: Checking for new jobs.
bric_dist_mon[11073]: Debug: Sending execution request.

bric_queued --username myuser --password mypassword --verbose

I get no output from bric_queued whatsoever. I get no errors anywhere -
I'm running Ubuntu and have checked:

/var/log/syslog
/usr/local/bricolage/log/error_log

I've also checked the Distribution > Jobs logs in the GUI.

Neither destination receives any content. I get no errors from
`bric_dist_mon` or `briq_queued`. I've tried giving `bric_dist_mon` an
invalid distribution server, and it does return an error, as I would
expect. I've also tried a chmod 777 on the local destination directory,
but that made no difference either.

I've read and re-read the documentation, but can't see what, if
anything, I am missing. I've also checked the mailing list archive.
This thread was the most relevant, but the solution didn't work for me
(adding /dist to the distribution server URL):

http://tinyurl.com/3latv3l

Can anyone help - how can I debug this?

Regards,

Mike
RE: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
Within the UI, under ADMIN->DISTRIBUTION->Jobs, do you see any jobs there? If the publish is failing, you should see something there.

Have you checked that your destinations are set to active, and that you have added the move action(section 4) to the destination?

Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On 25/05/11 17:17, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Within the UI, under ADMIN->DISTRIBUTION->Jobs, do you see any jobs there? If the publish is failing, you should see something there.
>
> Have you checked that your destinations are set to active, and that you have added the move action(section 4) to the destination?

Doh! I'd not added a move action. Ah, it seems so simple now... :-)

Thanks for the speedy response.

Regards,

Mike
RE: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
I could respond quickly because I have done that exact same thing many times. You would think I would learn, but at least I have learned what to look for when I forget.

Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On a positive note, my SFTP setup worked first time. I feel a Wiki page
coming up...

Regards,

Mike

Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On May 25, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> On a positive note, my SFTP setup worked first time. I feel a Wiki page coming up...

Mike++

David
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
Alas, my success was short lived. I've got publishing and distribution
working for past and present jobs, but not for future jobs.

I have a single local file system publish destination configured with a
single move action.

With QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set to No:

When I publish something with the Publish Time set to the current time,
it gets published and the files appear immediately in the destination
directory.

If I publish something, but set the Publish Time to a few minutes in the
future, the jobs remain in the Jobs queue as Today's Jobs (not Future
Jobs), but the files don't appear in the destination at the specified
Publish Time.

I've run bric_dist_mon and bric_queued, but the files still don't appear.

With QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set to Yes, nothing gets distributed for past,
present or future jobs.

My problem appears to be related to the distribution queue, but I don't
know why. I have a feeling that I've missed something simple again...

Regards,

Mike

Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On May 27, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> Alas, my success was short lived. I've got publishing and distribution working for past and present jobs, but not for future jobs.
>
> I have a single local file system publish destination configured with a single move action.
>
> With QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set to No:
>
> When I publish something with the Publish Time set to the current time, it gets published and the files appear immediately in the destination directory.
>
> If I publish something, but set the Publish Time to a few minutes in the future, the jobs remain in the Jobs queue as Today's Jobs (not Future Jobs), but the files don't appear in the destination at the specified Publish Time.
>
> I've run bric_dist_mon and bric_queued, but the files still don't appear.

How are you running them? I assume there's no error output?

> With QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set to Yes, nothing gets distributed for past, present or future jobs.

If you're going to have a lot of expensive (time-consuming) publish jobs, long term you'll want to use QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS. But get the simple case with bric_dist_mon working first, I'd say.

Best,

David
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On 27/05/11 18:50, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On May 27, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Mike Raynham wrote:
>
>> Alas, my success was short lived. I've got publishing and distribution working for past and present jobs, but not for future jobs.
>>
>> I have a single local file system publish destination configured with a single move action.
>>
>> With QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set to No:
>>
>> When I publish something with the Publish Time set to the current time, it gets published and the files appear immediately in the destination directory.
>>
>> If I publish something, but set the Publish Time to a few minutes in the future, the jobs remain in the Jobs queue as Today's Jobs (not Future Jobs), but the files don't appear in the destination at the specified Publish Time.
>>
>> I've run bric_dist_mon and bric_queued, but the files still don't appear.
>
> How are you running them? I assume there's no error output?

I've tried:

bric_dist_mon -u admin -p password -c
bric_dist_mon -u admin -p password -c -U http://localhost/dist/

I've tried 'localhost' and the actual hostname, and with and without
'dist/'. I've also tried it with the debug switch, which returns:

bric_dist_mon[30405]: Debug: Checking for new jobs.
bric_dist_mon[30405]: Debug: Sending execution request.

Without the debug switch, there's no output.

I've also left bric_dist_mon running without the -c option.

For bric_queued:

bric_queued --username admin --password password --verbose

This produces no output.

>> With QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set to Yes, nothing gets distributed for past, present or future jobs.
>
> If you're going to have a lot of expensive (time-consuming) publish jobs, long term you'll want to use QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS. But get the simple case with bric_dist_mon working first, I'd say.

My thoughts too. Is it correct to say that with QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set
to Yes, immediate jobs (past and present Publish Time), don't require
bric_dist_mon or bric_queued?

Does bric_dist_mon just poke Bricolage into action at specified intervals?

Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On May 27, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> I've tried:
>
> bric_dist_mon -u admin -p password -c
> bric_dist_mon -u admin -p password -c -U http://localhost/dist/
>
> I've tried 'localhost' and the actual hostname, and with and without 'dist/'. I've also tried it with the debug switch, which returns:
>
> bric_dist_mon[30405]: Debug: Checking for new jobs.
> bric_dist_mon[30405]: Debug: Sending execution request.
>
> Without the debug switch, there's no output.
>
> I've also left bric_dist_mon running without the -c option.
>
> For bric_queued:
>
> bric_queued --username admin --password password --verbose
>
> This produces no output.

Odd. Is your bricolage running on port 80? Are you using SSL? If so, you'll also need to install Crypt::SSLeay, IIRC.

Oh, and what version of LWP do you have installed? They changed a bunch of stuff in 6.0 that, now that I think about it, may have caused havoc with our clients.

>>> With QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set to Yes, nothing gets distributed for past, present or future jobs.
>>
>> If you're going to have a lot of expensive (time-consuming) publish jobs, long term you'll want to use QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS. But get the simple case with bric_dist_mon working first, I'd say.
>
> My thoughts too. Is it correct to say that with QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS set to Yes, immediate jobs (past and present Publish Time), don't require bric_dist_mon or bric_queued?

No, if you have QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS enabled, you must run bric_dist_mon or bric_queued. *All* jobs, including immediate jobs, will be queued, so you'll need one or the other to actually publish them.

> Does bric_dist_mon just poke Bricolage into action at specified intervals?

Yes.

Best,

David
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

I've created another Bricolage installation while writing a new
Bricolage wiki page, and publishing works as expected from this
installation. I guess that with all my experimentation on the previous
install, I've messed something up. I've still got a copy of the old
installation, and when I get chance I will try and track down the route
of the problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On May 31, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> I've created another Bricolage installation while writing a new Bricolage wiki page, and publishing works as expected from this installation. I guess that with all my experimentation on the previous install, I've messed something up. I've still got a copy of the old installation, and when I get chance I will try and track down the route of the problem.

Sounds good, glad the new one is working as expected.

Best,

David
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On 25/05/11 18:54, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On May 25, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Mike Raynham wrote:
>
>> On a positive note, my SFTP setup worked first time. I feel a Wiki page coming up...
>
> Mike++
>
> David

I've put together a wiki page for "SFTP Publishing on Ubuntu 10.04":

http://tinyurl.com/68e9y53

Suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome.

I'm also working on a more general wiki page about publishing in
Bricolage. I've arrived at the following statements through
experimentation and reading the various bits of documentation. Before I
go ahead and create the wiki page, I'd just like to check their accuracy:

---

If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned off and a job's Publish Time is the
current time, or in the past, then the job will be executed immediately.

If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned off and a job's Publish Time is in the
future, then the job will be placed in a queue and checked by the next
poll of either bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.

If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned on, all jobs will be placed in a queue
and processed by the next poll of either bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.

It is therefore possible to allow jobs to be published both immediately,
and at scheduled times, by turning QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS off.

bric_queued and bric_dist_mon check a job's Publish Time. If the
current time is equal to, or greater than, the job's Publish Time, the
job will be executed. Otherwise the job will remain in the queue, a
re-checked at the next poll.

A job's Publish Time does not necessarily coincide with the actual time
at which it is published and distributed. If, for example, bric_queued
or bric_dist_mon are run as a cron job at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past
the hour, a job with a Publish Time of 16:35 will not be executed until
16:45. It is therefore up to the Bricolage administrator to determine
the most suitable polling interval for bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.

bric_dist_mon fails if ALWAYS_USE_SSL is enabled.
bric_queued works correctly if ALWAYS_USE_SSL is enabled.

---

Finally, are there any good reasons to use bric_dist_mon instead of
bric_queued?

Regards,

Mike
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On Jun 7, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned off and a job's Publish Time is the current time, or in the past, then the job will be executed immediately.
>
> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned off and a job's Publish Time is in the future, then the job will be placed in a queue and checked by the next poll of either bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>
> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned on, all jobs will be placed in a queue and processed by the next poll of either bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>
> It is therefore possible to allow jobs to be published both immediately, and at scheduled times, by turning QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS off.

Correct. Not usually recommended, though, as sometimes publish jobs can be quite expensive (triggered publishes), so the UI will appear to hang when a user publishes something *now*. So to keep the UI responsive for users, it's usually best to do queued publishes.

> bric_queued and bric_dist_mon check a job's Publish Time. If the current time is equal to, or greater than, the job's Publish Time, the job will be executed. Otherwise the job will remain in the queue, a re-checked at the next poll.
>
> A job's Publish Time does not necessarily coincide with the actual time at which it is published and distributed. If, for example, bric_queued or bric_dist_mon are run as a cron job at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour, a job with a Publish Time of 16:35 will not be executed until 16:45. It is therefore up to the Bricolage administrator to determine the most suitable polling interval for bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>
> bric_dist_mon fails if ALWAYS_USE_SSL is enabled.

That sounds like a bug.

> bric_queued works correctly if ALWAYS_USE_SSL is enabled.
>
> ---
>
> Finally, are there any good reasons to use bric_dist_mon instead of bric_queued?

Not anymore, no.

Best,

David
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/11 20:56, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:
>
>> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned off and a job's Publish Time is the current time, or in the past, then the job will be executed immediately.
>>
>> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned off and a job's Publish Time is in the future, then the job will be placed in a queue and checked by the next poll of either bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>>
>> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned on, all jobs will be placed in a queue and processed by the next poll of either bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>>
>> It is therefore possible to allow jobs to be published both immediately, and at scheduled times, by turning QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS off.
>
> Correct. Not usually recommended, though, as sometimes publish jobs can be quite expensive (triggered publishes), so the UI will appear to hang when a user publishes something *now*. So to keep the UI responsive for users, it's usually best to do queued publishes.

Noted, thanks.

>> bric_queued and bric_dist_mon check a job's Publish Time. If the current time is equal to, or greater than, the job's Publish Time, the job will be executed. Otherwise the job will remain in the queue, a re-checked at the next poll.
>>
>> A job's Publish Time does not necessarily coincide with the actual time at which it is published and distributed. If, for example, bric_queued or bric_dist_mon are run as a cron job at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour, a job with a Publish Time of 16:35 will not be executed until 16:45. It is therefore up to the Bricolage administrator to determine the most suitable polling interval for bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>>
>> bric_dist_mon fails if ALWAYS_USE_SSL is enabled.
>
> That sounds like a bug.

Yes, I meant to elaborate on that before posting. It returns:

Error sending jobs to distributor.: Unexpected content returned from
http://localhost/dist/:

...and then outputs the HTML from the Bricolage login page. I suspect
that ALWAYS_USE_SSL is causing a redirect that bric_dist_mon is not
expecting.

As bric_queued seems like a better option, I'll just note in the wiki
that bric_dist_mon is no longer the preferred option, and that it
doesn't work with ALWAYS_USE_SSL enabled.

>> bric_queued works correctly if ALWAYS_USE_SSL is enabled.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Finally, are there any good reasons to use bric_dist_mon instead of bric_queued?
>
> Not anymore, no.
>
> Best,
>
> David

Regards,

Mike
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/11 20:56, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:
>
>> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned off and a job's Publish Time is the current time, or in the past, then the job will be executed immediately.
>>
>> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned off and a job's Publish Time is in the future, then the job will be placed in a queue and checked by the next poll of either bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>>
>> If QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS is turned on, all jobs will be placed in a queue and processed by the next poll of either bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>>
>> It is therefore possible to allow jobs to be published both immediately, and at scheduled times, by turning QUEUE_PUBLISH_JOBS off.
>
> Correct. Not usually recommended, though, as sometimes publish jobs can be quite expensive (triggered publishes), so the UI will appear to hang when a user publishes something *now*. So to keep the UI responsive for users, it's usually best to do queued publishes.
>
>> bric_queued and bric_dist_mon check a job's Publish Time. If the current time is equal to, or greater than, the job's Publish Time, the job will be executed. Otherwise the job will remain in the queue, a re-checked at the next poll.
>>
>> A job's Publish Time does not necessarily coincide with the actual time at which it is published and distributed. If, for example, bric_queued or bric_dist_mon are run as a cron job at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour, a job with a Publish Time of 16:35 will not be executed until 16:45. It is therefore up to the Bricolage administrator to determine the most suitable polling interval for bric_queued or bric_dist_mon.
>>
>> bric_dist_mon fails if ALWAYS_USE_SSL is enabled.
>
> That sounds like a bug.

Aha! I found the error of my ways. Specifying the full https://...
distribution server URL with the -U switch solves that problem. It only
fails when it attempts to work it out for itself, and returns
"http://localhost/dist/".

Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]

Oh, I think it works if you specify an address with https:, no?

> As bric_queued seems like a better option, I'll just note in the wiki that bric_dist_mon is no longer the preferred option, and that it doesn't work with ALWAYS_USE_SSL enabled.

Okay.

Best,

David
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
On Jun 7, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> Aha! I found the error of my ways. Specifying the full https://... distribution server URL with the -U switch solves that problem. It only fails when it attempts to work it out for itself, and returns "http://localhost/dist/".

Right, good. Would you file a bug report about that? There ought to be a way to detect that and give a better error message -- or just use https…

David
Re: Publishing & Distribution [ In reply to ]
Yes, no problem. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Mike