Mailing List Archive

Sites and Element Types
Hi,

Is it possible to create completely separate sets of element types for
individual sites? I understand that it is possible to assign story and
media types to different sites, but what about subelements?

For example, can I create elements with the same key name, but with
different properties, like this:

Site A:
blockquote
paragraph
teaser

Site B:
blockquote
paragraph
bullet_list

I haven't studied it in any detail yet, but I notice that there appear
to be relations between elements and sites in the database schema. I
can't find a way to configure this from the GUI.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to be able to create multiple sites
for completely separate companies, from a single Bricolage installation.
I realise that this is perhaps not what the multiple site feature is
intended for.

Regards,

Mike
RE: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
We support many sites for many different companies all on the same installation.
Each site(that needs it, not all of ours do) will have a custom story. We basically create a story where the key contains the name of the client(story_rfx, story_dps, etc.) and associate that story to the particular site in bricolage.

Then, we associate the same paragraph element to all of the stories, but some have unique elements associated with them. So, story_rfx might have the contacts_on_map element but story_dps wouldn't.

Adam

Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response. That sounds like the approach I was
considering. I've yet to try it, but I've seen that it's possible to
assign element types to permissions groups. This might enable me to
configure different logins for different projects - to hide the elements
that are not associated with my current project.

Regards,

Mike

Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike,

Yeah, that's exactly the way to do it.

A tip for when you're working with the permissions: Have two browsers
open (say, one firefox and one chrome) to Bricolage, with one logged in
as your admin user and the other as your target user. It will save you
hours.

Cheers,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
Hi Bret,

Great tip, thanks. Once I've had tried it out, I'll try and add
something to the wiki about working with multiple sites.

Regards,

Mike

Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
On May 19, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> Is it possible to create completely separate sets of element types for individual sites? I understand that it is possible to assign story and media types to different sites, but what about subelements?

Subelements are associated with sites only via the story or document element types for which they're subtypes. So the relationship is implicit.

> For example, can I create elements with the same key name, but with different properties, like this:

No, key names are globally unique to the system. Otherwise they wouldn't be keys, know what I'm sayin?

> I haven't studied it in any detail yet, but I notice that there appear to be relations between elements and sites in the database schema. I can't find a way to configure this from the GUI.

Yeah, add a subelement to a story type and it will be associated with the sites with which that story type is associated.

> The reason I ask is that I'd like to be able to create multiple sites for completely separate companies, from a single Bricolage installation. I realise that this is perhaps not what the multiple site feature is intended for.

Right, as you've figured out and Bret confirmed (and I never think about) is to use permissions to properly scope elements to particular sites, if you're using a story type for multiple sites and want the subelements of that type to be used only by certain customers.

Best,

David
Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

Thanks for the confirmation. Trial and error suggested that the keys
are system-wide, but I just wanted to be sure.

After I've got to grips with some other things, I'll delve into
permissions. I had a peek a while ago, and ran away scared :-)

Regards,

Mike

Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
On May 20, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:

> Thanks for the confirmation. Trial and error suggested that the keys are system-wide, but I just wanted to be sure.
>
> After I've got to grips with some other things, I'll delve into permissions. I had a peek a while ago, and ran away scared :-)

Heh, yeah. They're pretty awful. My apologies.

Best,

David
Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On May 20, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the confirmation. Trial and error suggested that the keys are system-wide, but I just wanted to be sure.
>>
>> After I've got to grips with some other things, I'll delve into permissions. I had a peek a while ago, and ran away scared :-)
>
> Heh, yeah. They're pretty awful. My apologies.

But they work like a charm! :)

Regards, Zdravko
Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
On 2011-05-23, at 1:15 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

> David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> On May 20, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Mike Raynham wrote:
>>> Thanks for the confirmation. Trial and error suggested that the keys are system-wide, but I just wanted to be sure.
>>>
>>> After I've got to grips with some other things, I'll delve into permissions. I had a peek a while ago, and ran away scared :-)
>> Heh, yeah. They're pretty awful. My apologies.
>
> But they work like a charm! :)

Better late than never: http://www.phillipadsmith.com/2008/04/bricolage-permissions-101.html

:)
Re: Sites and Element Types [ In reply to ]
On 06/06/11 16:21, Phillip Smith wrote:

> On 2011-05-23, at 1:15 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
>> David E. Wheeler wrote:

>>> Heh, yeah. They're pretty awful. My apologies.

I've just started looking at the permissions in more detail. This time,
I didn't run away, and instead started putting some notes together for
another wiki page :-)

>> But they work like a charm! :)
>

> Better late than never: http://www.phillipadsmith.com/2008/04/bricolage-permissions-101.html
>
> :)

Thanks Philip, the screen casts are very helpful. I actually stumbled
across your page the other day, and put a link to it under the Bricolage
2.0 > Recommended Reading section of the wiki:

https://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/wiki/Bricolage-2.0

I've also added a link to the associated notes - the one on your site is
no longer valid.