Mailing List Archive

Migration from Bricolage 1.10.4 to 2.0
Hi,

we need to migrate our Bricolage with all data to a new system. So I
want to migrate also to Version 2.0 on a Ubuntu Server 10.04.

Is there any migration strategy or best practices and is this
manageable?

current system:
Debian Etch
Bricolage 1.10.4
Apache 1.3
PostgreSQL 8.1.15

new system
Ubuntu Server 10.04
Bricolage 2.0
Apache 2
Postgres (newest version)

Thank u for any suggestions,
Maik

--
Maik Arnold
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
USt-ID DE 193477690
Geschäftsführer Sven Haubold
Re: Migration from Bricolage 1.10.4 to 2.0 [ In reply to ]
On Jun 18, 2010, at 1:41 AM, Maik Arnold wrote:

> we need to migrate our Bricolage with all data to a new system. So I
> want to migrate also to Version 2.0 on a Ubuntu Server 10.04.
>
> Is there any migration strategy or best practices and is this
> manageable?
>
> current system:
> Debian Etch
> Bricolage 1.10.4
> Apache 1.3
> PostgreSQL 8.1.15
>
> new system
> Ubuntu Server 10.04
> Bricolage 2.0
> Apache 2
> Postgres (newest version)

Hi Maik,

Here's what I suggest:

* Build the new system with Apache 1/mod_perl 1
* Clone Bricolage from the old system
* Install Bricolage from the clone on the new system
* Upgrade Bricolage to 2.0 on the new system
* Modify bricolage.conf to use Apache 2/mod_perl 2
* Uninstall Apache 1/mod_perl 1 from the new system

You can also do all the installing and upgrading on the old system and then clone and install on the new system. But if you can't afford the downtime, you can take the approach I use here, get things tested and working on the new system, and then, when you're ready for the real migration, drop its database, dump the db from the old system and install it on the new system, rsync the media and template directories from the old box, then edit install.db to pretend the install is 1.10.4 and run `make upgrade` from the 2.0 tarball again. Then you can switch over pretty quickly.

HTH,

David
Re: Migration from Bricolage 1.10.4 to 2.0 [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your hints, I will keep u informed about my experience.

Maik