here but that's a separate story)
then clicked on "Save" and got a reply User profile "Foo Bar" saved.

It still does not show in the list of users.
If I try to add the same username again it tells me it already exists
so I guess it is in the database.

/usr/local/bricolage/log/error_log does not have any new lines in it.

After logging out I can login as the newly created user.

Gabor
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently installed Bricolage 2.0
> Managed to login as admin, change the password and login again with
> the new password!
>

> Then I was trying to add a user in Admin/System/Users "Add a New User"
> Filled in some info, username, password
> (BTW I am not sure I like the fact that I need to give the password
> here but that's a separate story)
> then clicked on "Save" and got a reply    User profile "Foo Bar" saved.
>
> It still does not show in the list of users.
> If I try to add the same username again it tells me it already exists
> so I guess it is in the database.
>
> /usr/local/bricolage/log/error_log   does not have any new lines in it.
>

> After logging out I can login as the newly created user.
>

> Gabor

Oh I found it!
I need to click on the "search" button in order to display the users.
That was not clear to me.

Gabor
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On May 31, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> Oh I found it!
> I need to click on the "search" button in order to display the users.
> That was not clear to me.

Yes, it's optimized with the assumption that you might have 1000s of users and not want to load them all. Probably not the best choice.

David
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:46 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On May 31, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
>> Oh I found it!
>> I need to click on the "search" button in order to display the users.
>> That was not clear to me.
>
> Yes, it's optimized with the assumption that you might have 1000s of users and not want to load them all. Probably not the best choice.

I'd probably put there a paging system for every 10 or 25 lines.

Especially as I can see now that I clicked on search one if I switch
to another page and then switch back it shows the list.

Also it is unclear to me what is "Admin | Manager | Users" just under
the title "User Manager". Is that the "path" to this page?
Then it should be "Admin | System | Users" I guess.

regards
Gabor
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On May 31, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> I'd probably put there a paging system for every 10 or 25 lines.

Yes, but for legacy reasons, even if you paginate (and you can in preferences), every single user would still be loaded from the database.

> Especially as I can see now that I clicked on search one if I switch
> to another page and then switch back it shows the list.

Yes, it remembers searches in your session.

> Also it is unclear to me what is "Admin | Manager | Users" just under
> the title "User Manager". Is that the "path" to this page?
> Then it should be "Admin | System | Users" I guess.

True. Bug report?

Best,

David
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:48 AM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On May 31, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
>> I'd probably put there a paging system for every 10 or 25 lines.
>
> Yes, but for legacy reasons, even if you paginate (and you can in preferences), every single user would still be loaded from the database.

So maybe show only the count: 0 users show out of 7,378. Use
"search" to show some.

>> Especially as I can see now that I clicked on search one if I switch
>> to another page and then switch back it shows the list.
>
> Yes, it remembers searches in your session.

How can I make it forget my "heavy" search?

>> Also it is unclear to me what is "Admin | Manager | Users" just under
>> the title "User Manager". Is that the "path" to this page?
>> Then it should be "Admin | System | Users" I guess.
>
> True. Bug report?

Gabor
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On May 31, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> So maybe show only the count: 0 users show out of 7,378. Use
> "search" to show some.

Count queries are slow.

> How can I make it forget my "heavy" search?

Log out or do a different search.

Best,

David
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On Jun 1, 2010, at 12:08 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On May 31, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>
>> So maybe show only the count: 0 users show out of 7,378. Use
>> "search" to show some.
>
> Count queries are slow.
>
>> How can I make it forget my "heavy" search?
>
> Log out or do a different search.

FWIW, the problem Gabor is describing is a significant source of confusion for our users here, and at times for me. Although I can't remember which is which right now, some Bricolage interfaces allow users to hit "search" with a blank query field and see a listing of everything, while others will return zero results if the query field is left empty. Browsing such an interface necessitates searching for every letter in the alphabet, one by one ("a" -> Search, "b" -> Search, "c" -> Search, etc.) until the desired result is found. Count queries are surely slow, but they sure are faster than 26 consecutive searches. :)

Best,
Waldo

---
Virginia Quarterly Review
One West Range, Box 400223
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4223
434-243-4995
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Waldo Jaquith wrote:

> FWIW, the problem Gabor is describing is a significant source of confusion for our users here, and at times for me. Although I can't remember which is which right now, some Bricolage interfaces allow users to hit "search" with a blank query field and see a listing of everything, while others will return zero results if the query field is left empty. Browsing such an interface necessitates searching for every letter in the alphabet, one by one ("a" -> Search, "b" -> Search, "c" -> Search, etc.) until the desired result is found. Count queries are surely slow, but they sure are faster than 26 consecutive searches. :)

Search on %.

Best,

David
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Waldo Jaquith wrote:
>
>> FWIW, the problem Gabor is describing is a significant source of confusion for our users here, and at times for me. Although I can't remember which is which right now, some Bricolage interfaces allow users to hit "search" with a blank query field and see a listing of everything, while others will return zero results if the query field is left empty. Browsing such an interface necessitates searching for every letter in the alphabet, one by one ("a" -> Search, "b" -> Search, "c" -> Search, etc.) until the desired result is found. Count queries are surely slow, but they sure are faster than 26 consecutive searches. :)
>
> Search on %.

IMHO this should be then in the GUI. A button to "show all".
Then for consistency empty search term should always return no result but
then there should be a text explaining this.

So if you run an empty search you should get the empty listing with a message.

Gabor
Re: Where are the users listed? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On May 31, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>> So maybe show only the count:    0 users show out of 7,378.
>> Use "search" to show some.
>
> Count queries are slow.

Permissions are painful. Though not so much for small things like User, I guess.