Mailing List Archive

RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues
Hi all,

I want to preface by letting everyone know that I have built some RPMs for
spread, wackamole, mod_log_spread and spreadlogd. They are available from
http://biopackages.net/ for CentOS4 and some Fedora distributions. They will
eventually be built for every CentOS and Fedora release when we expand our
repository. And we have some updated RPMs in our testing repository that
should be pushed out in a few days. The SRPMs are also available if you
would like to build your own.

Now onto the problem...

In configuring Wackamole, I have been having some issues, so I am hoping
that someone will be able to help me get this working. My setup is CentOS4
x86_64 (linux 2.6.x) if that matters. Wackamole/spread builds and installs
fine and spread works fine. Wackamole starts fine and seems to think it
works, but in reality it does not. Therefore I am not sure if this is an
issue with Wackamole's interaction with OS, or what. I have been following
Theo's "Scalable Internet Architectures" book in an attempt to get wackamole
setup. This is also in a testing environment (10.x.x.x IP's), before we
tried it with real IPs and had the same issue.

What happens:
-Start spread on both systems, everything works fine. It is configured to
use 10.67.183.121 and .122, respectively, which are both setup on eth1 and
independent of the wackamole IPs. The same thing happens if we setup spread
on the same IP as wackamole.
-Start wackamole on both systems and:
(1) eth0 which is configured with 10.67.183.116 on one and
10.67.183.117on the other is taken down by wackamole such that an
'ifconfig' only shows
eth1 up
(2) wackatrl -l appears to be working properly, showing the following on
each system:
Owner: 10.67.183.116
* eth0:10.67.183.116/32
Owner: 10.67.183.117
* eth0:10.67.183.117/32

Despite #2, neither machine brings up .116 or .117. There is obviously
something going on, because from another machine I can still ping/ssh into
116 and 117, which may be as a result of arp.

At this point if I kill spread on one of the 2 machines (say the one with
.117), wackatrl -l shows what appears to be correct:
Owner: 10.67.183.116
* eth0:10.67.183.116/32
Owner: 10.67.183.116
* eth0:10.67.183.117/32

Despite what wackatrl thinks, I am now able to ping/ssh into only one of the
IPs, and the IP of the machine that was taken down is not brought up on the
other machine. The whole thing seems to be acting weird.

The only indication I can find is /var/log/messages which shows the
following on both machines. I am not sure if this is a 2.6 kernel not
supported issue (hopefully not, cause I would really like to get wackamole
working):
Sep 13 07:44:50 JMM1 wackamole[26151]: connecting to 4803
Sep 13 07:44:50 JMM1 wackamole: wackamole startup succeeded
Sep 13 07:44:50 JMM1 wackamole[26151]: DOWN: eth0:
10.67.183.116/255.255.255.0
Sep 13 07:44:50 JMM1 wackamole[26151]: 953 No such interface
Sep 13 07:45:02 JMM1 wackamole[26151]: 911 No such interface
Sep 13 07:45:02 JMM1 wackamole[26151]: Re-queued arp spoof notifier for
virtual entry.

Also, when I try a wackamole.conf with 4 IPs, wackatrl shows:
Owner: 10.67.183.116
* eth0:10.67.183.116/32
Owner: 10.67.183.117
* eth0:10.67.183.117/32
Owner: 10.67.183.124
* eth0:10.67.183.124/32
Owner: 10.67.183.125
* eth0:10.67.183.125/32

My configurations look as follows (it is the same on both machines), though
I have tried many other configurations such as changing /32 to /24, trying
other IPs and so on:
[root@JMM2 etc]# cat /etc/wackamole.conf
Spread = 4803
SpreadRetryInterval = 5s
Group = wack1
Control = /var/run/wack.it

Prefer None

VirtualInterfaces {
{ eth0:10.67.183.116/32 }
{ eth0:10.67.183.117/32 }
}

Arp-Cache = 10s
mature = 5s

Notify {
eth0:10.67.183.1/32
arp-cache
}

Balance {
AcquisitionsPerRound = all
interval = 4s
}

The importand part of Spead.conf is:
Spread_Segment 10.255.255.255:4803 {
JMM1 10.67.183.121
JMM2 10.67.183.122
}

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Jordan
RE: RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues [ In reply to ]
I hate to follow-up on a two month old problem, but I'm now seeing something
similar.

I've been running several wackamole installs in production since march, and
recently came across following line in my messages file: wackamole[8532]
"953 No such interface", which appears to be similar to the problem in this
message.

Additionally, I'm running 2 wackamole clusters in the same subnet, and have
recently begun seeing the following errors on one of the sets of clusters:
In_my_component: unknown proc 192.168.252.25. This IP address is from a
machine in the other cluster, but spread is running on a different port, so
as far as I can tell, they shouldn't be able to see each other.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

-Tim Spangler

_____

http://biopackages.net/ <http://biopackages.net/> for CentOS4 and some

use 10.67.183.121 <http://10.67.183.121> and .122, respectively, which are
(1) eth0 which is configured with 10.67.183.116 <http://10.67.183.116>
on one and 10.67.183.117 <http://10.67.183.117> on the other is taken down
Owner: 10.67.183.116 <http://10.67.183.116>
* eth0:10.67.183.116/32 <http://10.67.183.116/32>
Owner: 10.67.183.117 <http://10.67.183.117>
* eth0: 10.67.183.117/32 <http://10.67.183.117/32>

* eth0: <http://10.67.183.116/32> 10.67.183.116/32

<http://10.67.183.116/255.255.255.0> 10.67.183.116/255.255.255.0

Owner: 10.67.183.124 <http://10.67.183.124>
* eth0:10.67.183.124/32 <http://10.67.183.124/32>
Owner: 10.67.183.125 <http://10.67.183.125>
* eth0:10.67.183.125/32 <http://10.67.183.125/32>

My configurations look as follows (it is the same on both machines), though
I have tried many other configurations such as changing /32 to /24, trying
other IPs and so on:
[root@JMM2 etc]# cat /etc/wackamole.conf
Spread = 4803
SpreadRetryInterval = 5s
Group = wack1
Control = /var/run/wack.it

Prefer None

VirtualInterfaces {
{ eth0:10.67.183.116/32 <http://10.67.183.116/32> }
{ eth0: 10.67.183.117/32 <http://10.67.183.117/32> }
}

Arp-Cache = 10s
mature = 5s

Notify {
eth0:10.67.183.1/32 <http://10.67.183.1/32>
arp-cache
}

Balance {
AcquisitionsPerRound = all
interval = 4s
}

The importand part of Spead.conf is:
Spread_Segment 10.255.255.255:4803 <http://10.255.255.255:4803> {
JMM1 10.67.183.121 <http://10.67.183.121>
JMM2 10.67.183.122 <http://10.67.183.122>
}

Re: RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues [ In reply to ]
I am the fellow that built the RPMs and had the issues you describe. I never
received any response to my problem, so gave up on wackamole and implemented
linux-ha. Linux-HA does everything wackamole is supposed to do and more, and
is very well supported and actively developed. I hate to promote a different
product on this list, but no one even made an attempt to help me resolve my
issue.

Jordan

Re: RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues [ In reply to ]
Spread+wackamole is BLAH! Use UCARP. It works. :o)

Re: RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues [ In reply to ]
Out of curiosity, how does UCARP compare to Linux-HA/Heartbeat? I am not
familiar with UCARP, and their about page is only 2 sentences.

Thanks, Jordan

Re: RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues [ In reply to ]
heartbeat relies on a controller server or gateway. UCARP is pure Peer
2 Peer. If you want more info on a true High Availability solution
check out my project. It is still very new, but pretty stable and
supported. http://www.p2plamp.com

And if you program in Ruby or are good at Bash scripting or testing we
could use your help. Progress is fast but needs help. Sign up on for a
wiki account on the page and we can swap emails.

Re: RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues [ In reply to ]
On Nov 9, 2007, at 6:22 PM, kevev kevev wrote:

> Spread+wackamole is BLAH! Use UCARP. It works. :o)

Eloquent.

We use CARP in a lot of places. It's nice. Not as "cool" as
wackamole from the concept side -- much more of a VRRP
implementation. UCARP looks neat. Freevrrp does pretty much the same
thing as far as I can tell. When my OS doesn't support it on the
driver level, I like to use wackamole -- the protocol is much more
loose and allows for some "interesting" manipulations.

Each tool has its own strong points, so to each his own.

> On Nov 9, 2007 4:31 PM, Spangler, Tim <Tim_Spangler@adp.com> wrote:
>>
>> I hate to follow-up on a two month old problem, but I'm now seeing
>> something
>> similar.
>>
>> I've been running several wackamole installs in production since
>> march, and
>> recently came across following line in my messages file:
>> wackamole[8532]
>> "953 No such interface", which appears to be similar to the problem
>> in this
>> message.

That message means that it was not about the shutdown the interface
because it couldn't find it.
Is there a problem manifesting other than the log message? Interfaces
plumbed that shouldn't be or interfaces that should be owned yet
aren't visible via ifconfig?

I'll look at merging back in some fixes to the ife-sockpacket stuff
(Linux specific ifconfig-like subsystem). This code was adopted by
another project and evolved considerably -- I'll go peak at that and
see if any serious fixes were made.

>> Additionally, I'm running 2 wackamole clusters in the same subnet,
>> and have
>> recently begun seeing the following errors on one of the sets of
>> clusters:
>> In_my_component: unknown proc 192.168.252.25. This IP address is
>> from a
>> machine in the other cluster, but spread is running on a different
>> port, so
>> as far as I can tell, they shouldn't be able to see each other.

Make sure the ports are more than "2" apart. Spread uses port and port
+1, I believe.

For safety sake, I launch my spread rings at +10 +10 +10.
so ring one will be :4803, ring two will be :4813, ring three will be :
4823

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Esoteric Curio -- http://lethargy.org/

Re: RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues [ In reply to ]
Been watching the list for awhile, also read your book, Theo.

The book and websites are great on high-level architectural information,
but I'm wondering where is a good source of nitty-gritty, down and dirty
installation information?

Wanted to go to Atlanta Monday for apachecon 07, but couldn't get away
from work. Good luck, Theo.

-Dan

----
Dan Zubey
Sr. Linux Administrator
Odysseyware, Inc.

Re: RPMs for spread/wackamole/etc and wackamole issues [ In reply to ]
On Nov 11, 2007, at 12:33 AM, Dan Zubey wrote:

> Been watching the list for awhile, also read your book, Theo.
>
> The book and websites are great on high-level architectural
> information, but I'm wondering where is a good source of nitty-
> gritty, down and dirty installation information?

The wackamole stuff is pretty straight forward, almost all configs
look the same:

== BEGIN ==
Spread = 4803
SpreadRetryInterval = 5s
Group = wack1
Control = /var/run/wack.it
Prefer None
VirtualInterfaces {
{ bge1:10.80.117.6/23 }
}
Arp-Cache = 90s
Notify {
bge1:10.80.117.6/23
arp-cache
}
balance {
AcquisitionsPerRound = all
interval = 4s
}
mature = 5s
== END ==

For example, the above is the production config used on an internal
master-master LDAP cluster down the hall.

Most often, the only thing that changes is the bge1:10.80.117....
stuff. On Linux and FreeBSD be careful to specify /32 in the
VirtualInterface section -- and obvious replace with ethX on Linux and
the appropriate network adapter on FreeBSD.

The Spread setup can be a bit more finicky. I think Ciprian does
setup and troubleshooting good justice in the Appendix to my book.
And while I'd love everyone to buy a copy, I will note the Appendix is
available (along with two other chapters) for download:

http://scalableinternetarchitectures.com/blog/pages/about

Wackamole could use a rewrite -- it's missing a lot of features:
Better pre/post (Acquire/Release) user-level actions
Security
Allowing virtual interfaces on networks that don't have a non-
wacked interface already:
this requires implementing bring up (and possibly down) routes
(and configuring them)
Heterogenous cluster configurations:
each node knows what IPs it can take and it "may" overlap with
other nodes.. they just "work it out"

Given wackamole itself being really low level, I find it annoying that
it requires the Spread daemon. While this isn't problematic (it's
never bitten me), I like things that operate on a level this low to be
less dependent on user-land services. I'd like it if embedded Spread
4, but also if the configuration was more dynamic.

Well, there's my wishlist.

> Wanted to go to Atlanta Monday for apachecon 07, but couldn't get
> away from work. Good luck, Theo.

Thanks!