Mailing List Archive

Exclusive IP Question
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to this list ( and wackamole in general ) so if this has been
covered before please forgive me, I did look through the archives and didn't
find anything on this topic.

I'm curious if there is any way in wackamole to configure a group of IP
addresses that should never exist on the same machine ( except perhaps under
the circumstance of having no other more IP's in the group than nodes to
assign them to )?

For instance:
We have 100 Ip addresses assigned to 5 machines, those 100 IP's are really 50
IP pairs that both provide a service and are load balanced upstream. It would
be very helpful to let wackamole decide how to redistribute those 100 IP's
between the 5 machines.

IE:
Website A is load balanced between 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.11.
Website B is load balanced between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.12.

10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 could exist on the same machine without problem, but
10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.11 shouldn't as that would put all the load for that
particular site on a single machine.

I hope that make some sense. If not please let me know and I'll try to clarify
more. If this isn't possible in wackamole and you have experience with some
other HA solution that would provide that type functionality please let me
know.
--
Ethan Daugherty
Linux Systems Administrator

Re: Exclusive IP Question [ In reply to ]
I understand what you are looking to accomplish. However, that is
not possible with wackamole. It would require some substantial
algorithm changes in the way IP addresses are assigned to machines.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal@OmniTI: http://omniti.com
// Esoteric Curio: http://www.lethargy.org/~jesus/

Re: Exclusive IP Question [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the quick response. That's kind of what I was afraid of...

Do you know of any products that could accomplish this?

- Ethan
btw: I enjoyed your book.

Re: Exclusive IP Question [ In reply to ]
On Jun 6, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Ethan Daugherty wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response. That's kind of what I was afraid of...
>
> Do you know of any products that could accomplish this?

Not off the top of my head. Plenty of products will do this with 2
machines, but the peer-based juggling isn't common. You should look
at PolyServe, their product a long time ago was similar in concept to
wackamole and they might have added features that accomplish what you
want.

It's an awful hack, but if you have 6 machines... you can juggle 50
IPs on 3 of them and 50 IPs on the other 3. That would provide you
an administrative level of resource separation. Ideally, the tool
would just do this, but since it doesn't some brute force might be
useful.

> - Ethan
> btw: I enjoyed your book.

Thanks.