Mailing List Archive

Errors on mod_backhand install process
Let me preface this by saying I'm a complete linux newb, and I'm in
the process of reading many man pages and howtos.
The problem is with the install, i think.
I do a complete vanilla install of debian 'woody'.
I don't install the webserver when prompted for installing things with tasksel.
I take most of the defaults when installing.
I grab apache_1.3.6.tar.gz and mod_backhand1.2.2.tar.tar from my ftp server.
I then start the install process below:

# cd /var/tmp
# ls
apache_1.3.6.tar.gz
mod_backhand-1.2.2.tar.gz
# gzip -d < apache_1.3.6.tar.gz | tar xf -
# gzip -d < mod_backhand1.2.2.tar.gz | tar xf -
# ls
apache_1.3.6
apache_1.3.6.tar.gz
mod_backhand
mod_backhand1.2.2.tar.gz
# cd mod_backhand
# ./precompile ../apache_1.3.6/
Copying source into apache tree...
Copying sample cgi script and logo into htdocs directory...
Adding to Apache's Configuration.tmpl...
Nullifying extra shared libraries for Linux
Modifying httpd.conf-dist...
creating insertion....
integrating insertion with original...
Updating Makefile.tmpl...

Now change to the apache source directory:
../apache_1.3.6/
And do a ./configure...

If you want to enable backhand (why would you have done this is you didn't)
then add: --enable-module=backhand --enable-shared=backhand
to your apache configure command. For eaxmple, I use:

./configure --prefix=/var/backhand --enable-module=so \
--enable-module=rewrite --enable-shared=rewrite \
--enable-module=speling --enable-shared=speling \
--enable-module=info --enable-shared=info \
--enable-module=include --enable-shared=include \
--enable-module=status --enable-shared=status \
--enable-module=backhand --enable-shared=backhand
# cd ../apache_1.3.6
# ./configure --prefix=/var/backhand --enable-module=so \
--enable-module=rewrite --enable-shared=rewrite \
--enable-module=speling --enable-shared=speling \
--enable-module=info --enable-shared=info \
--enable-module=include --enable-shared=include \
--enable-module=status --enable-shared=status \
--enable-module=backhand --enable-shared=backhand
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.6
+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
Creating Makefile in src
+ configured for Linux platform
+ setting C compiler to gcc
+ setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
+ checking for system header files
+ adding selected modules
o rewrite_module uses ConfigStart/End
+ using -lndbm for DBM support
enabling DBM support for mod_rewrite
+ using -ldl for vendor DSO support
+ doing sanity check on compiler and options
Creating Makefile in src/support
Creating Makefile in src/main
Creating Makefile in src/ap
Creating Makefile in src/regex
Creating Makefile in src/os/unix
Creating Makefile in src/modules/standard
Creating Makefile in src/modules/backhand

This is a copy of what my install looked like. The only difference
with this and the Help: compiling mod_backhand document is that I use
backhand1.2.2 instead of 1.0 so the files/directories are different.
And the last 2 lines are switched around. I have /standard first and
/backhand second. It's opposite that in the help document, sure that
doesn't matter.

I then type:
# make

This does a bunch of junk I dont know about. But looks ok until the
last 15 lines or so, I'll include them:
mod_backhand.c: In function 'build_request_headers':
mod_backhand.c:464: parse error before 'CRLF'
mod_backhand.c: In function 'backhand_redirection':
mod_backhand.c:612: parse error before 'CRLF'
mod_backhand.c::622: 'CRLF' undeclared (first use in this function)
mod_backhand.c:622: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
mod_backhand.c:622: for each function it appears in.)
make[4]: *** [mod_backhand.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make[2] Leaving directory '/var/tmp/apache_1.3.6/src'
make[1] *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/apache_1.3.6'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Even with all those errors, maybe common (I am a windows user after
all so I'm used to it), I try to do the next line:

# make install

Less junk this time but I get the same errors:

mod_backhand.c: In function 'build_request_headers':
mod_backhand.c:464: parse error before 'CRLF'
mod_backhand.c: In function 'backhand_redirection':
mod_backhand.c:612: parse error before 'CRLF'
mod_backhand.c::622: 'CRLF' undeclared (first use in this function)
mod_backhand.c:622: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
mod_backhand.c:622: for each function it appears in.)
make[4]: *** [mod_backhand.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make[2] Leaving directory '/var/tmp/apache_1.3.6/src'
make[1] *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/apache_1.3.6'
make: *** [build] Error 2

So I try to find apache. I think it's located at /usr/local but its
not there. There used to be a /var/www directory when I did my last
install with the web server selected in tasksel, but thats not there.
So did the install mess up, if so why?
Or did it work ok but I have to configure apache more to work.

When i did install the webserver from tasksel last time I ftped my IIS
webserver data files into the www folder and everything worked
perfectly, I couldn't figure out how to get backhand to run so I
decided to do the clean vanilla install and install apache like listed
in the document: Help: compiling mod_backhand.
But then I get this so...what'd I do?

Please no big linux words, I am a newb. If you want me to do something
tell me where to do it and with what commands please.

--
Andy Osborn

Re: Errors on mod_backhand install process [ In reply to ]
Apache 1.3.6? That predates even the earliest version of mod_backhand.
Please try again with a modern (and safe) version of Apache 1.3.31 or
higher. If you still have problems, post again... Good job on the bug
report, it is very clear and complete.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth

Errors on mod_backhand install process [ In reply to ]
In the Help: compiling mod_backhand document they reference
apache_1.3.6.tar.gz as the file used. So if they used it there I
assume it would have worked.
And are you saying that 1.3.31 is newer than 1.3.6? Doesn't it usually
go up? I know 2.0 is new and mod_backhand doesn't work with it,
atleast it didn't when I was reading.

What version of apache would you suggest? And how can I undo what I
already have done? just do it over the top again, or do I delete
something or run a command? If not I'd just reinstall debian (that's
how newby I am).

Thank you for the help

--
Andy Osborn

Re: Errors on mod_backhand install process [ In reply to ]
Andrew Osborn wrote:

>In the Help: compiling mod_backhand document they reference
>apache_1.3.6.tar.gz as the file used. So if they used it there I
>assume it would have worked.

Oops.. I'll take a look at that. You can compile mod_backhand as a
shared object and it tends to be less hassle.

>And are you saying that 1.3.31 is newer than 1.3.6? Doesn't it usually
>go up? I know 2.0 is new and mod_backhand doesn't work with it,
>atleast it didn't when I was reading.

Yes. 31 > 6. and yes 2.0.x is the newest, but mod_backhand has not been
ported to the 2.0 architecture.

>What version of apache would you suggest? And how can I undo what I
>already have done? just do it over the top again, or do I delete
>something or run a command? If not I'd just reinstall debian (that's
>how newby I am).

1.3.31 or whatever is latest (1.3.32?, not sure if that is out yet).

If you configure apache for a default install including
--enable-module=so, then you will get an Apache installation that is
capable of loading modules after installation.

The in the mod_backhand directory, just

./configure --with-apxs=/path/to/apache/bin/apxs
make
cp mod_backhand.so /path/to/apache/libexec/mod_backhand.so

And add the necessary elements to your configuration file.

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// Postal Engine -- http://www.postalengine.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth

Errors on mod_backhand install process [ In reply to ]
Ok I installed it successfully using apache 1.3.31. I installed php
and mysql and everything else I need....now what? I looked though a
lot of documentation but didn't see what I needed. I know I need to
have mod_backhand on each server but does each server need to be the
exact same?
And I change my webpages daily so would I have to change them on both
servers at the same time? If so, what ways have you found to be the
best/fastest.
And if the servers need to be exact would ghost 4 unix be a good way
of making both servers the exact same.
As of right now I have mod_backhand working (I think) on 1 server. It
will be on 2 total servers whenever I figure out what I need to do.
I'll probably be editing all of the webpages on my windows xp machine.

Thank you for the help on the install

--
Andy Osborn
920-319-6032

Re: Errors on mod_backhand install process [ In reply to ]
Andrew Osborn wrote:

>Ok I installed it successfully using apache 1.3.31. I installed php
>and mysql and everything else I need....now what? I looked though a
>lot of documentation but didn't see what I needed. I know I need to
>have mod_backhand on each server but does each server need to be the
>exact same?

Nope, using the provided candidacy functions mod_backhand will select
the machine best capable of answering the request so no, the machines do
not need to match.

>And I change my webpages daily so would I have to change them on both
>servers at the same time? If so, what ways have you found to be the
>best/fastest.

We use rsync at our company... have a look at that as it should meet
your needs.

>And if the servers need to be exact would ghost 4 unix be a good way
>of making both servers the exact same.
>As of right now I have mod_backhand working (I think) on 1 server. It
>will be on 2 total servers whenever I figure out what I need to do.
>I'll probably be editing all of the webpages on my windows xp machine.

Hehe, ive heard the term "i use windows to get to Linux" before...
hurrah for 'nix based machines :-)

Re: Errors on mod_backhand install process [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:04:50 -0500, Andrew Osborn <aosborn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok I installed it successfully using apache 1.3.31. I installed php
> and mysql and everything else I need....now what? I looked though a
> lot of documentation but didn't see what I needed. I know I need to
> have mod_backhand on each server but does each server need to be the
> exact same?

That depends on what you want to use your clustered highly available web
server system for.

> And I change my webpages daily so would I have to change them on both
> servers at the same time? If so, what ways have you found to be the
> best/fastest.

NFS mounts if you're Unix inclined, or you can share a directory on your
desktop XP machine and mount that on the front-end web servers. Both
schemes are very inefficient compared to having the files local on a disk
on the web server, but it's very convinient. Make sure the access is
read-only on either scheme to improve the efficiency.

> And if the servers need to be exact would ghost 4 unix be a good way
> of making both servers the exact same.

Well, a stock install of your favoured Unix or Linux plus a copy of Apache
+ mod_backhand + whatever in /opt/ is how we favour it here. It's probably
no more hassle doing it that way than it would be ghosting the disks and
re-configuring the second machine with its settings.

Regards,
_Gus

--
Angus M Wood