Mailing List Archive

mod_backhand client for Java
Afternoon good developers of mod_backhand.

I just want to say that this is an excellent piece of software and its
a credit to you all. I would therefore like to contribute a new
library to it that i think the community will enjoy.

mod_backhand monitors the health of Apache; which is all fine and dandy,
but not much use if you have a Java Servlet/JEE application hanging off
the back of it. In many instances, Apache will still be alive but the
backend will be dead or under stress. Need to monitor the Java app.

I have recently had this situation.

To that end, i have built a complete Java library that you can use to
communicate back to mod_backhand that its alive with all the normal
broadcast parameters. Its very small and lightweight. As you can
appreciate, this opens up the world to Java now.

Questions i have:

[1] Can i contribute this to the main mod_backend project/website?

[2] If yes, what license do you want to put this under? I have no
issues with releasing the source code.

[3] Who do i send the code/docs to?

Look forward to hearing from you,

alan

--
Alan Williamson, City Planner

w: http://www.BLOG-CITY.com/
b: http://alan.blog-city.com/
e: alan@blog-city.com
p: http://www.blog-city.com/profiles/9.htm

Re: mod_backhand client for Java [ In reply to ]
On Jul 29, 2004, at 9:01 AM, Alan Williamson wrote:
> Afternoon good developers of mod_backhand.

Hello

> I just want to say that this is an excellent piece of software and its
> a credit to you all. I would therefore like to contribute a new
> library to it that i think the community will enjoy.

Thank you.

> mod_backhand monitors the health of Apache; which is all fine and
> dandy, but not much use if you have a Java Servlet/JEE application
> hanging off the back of it. In many instances, Apache will still be
> alive but the backend will be dead or under stress. Need to monitor
> the Java app.

This is spectacular.

> I have recently had this situation.
>
> To that end, i have built a complete Java library that you can use to
> communicate back to mod_backhand that its alive with all the normal
> broadcast parameters. Its very small and lightweight. As you can
> appreciate, this opens up the world to Java now.
>
> Questions i have:
>
> [1] Can i contribute this to the main mod_backend project/website?

Yes.

> [2] If yes, what license do you want to put this under? I have no
> issues with releasing the source code.

Apache-style

> [3] Who do i send the code/docs to?

Me.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth

Re: mod_backhand client for Java [ In reply to ]
Fantastic Theo, much appreciated.

Then i shall package up the necessary files and licenses and get it off
to you very soon.