Mailing List Archive

mod_backhand & apache2/prefork
So, from reading past posts, mod_backhand apparently doesn't work
with apache2. However, it seems like most of the posts mention
it doesn't work with some of the changes. There particularly
seems to be some concern about the new threaded MPM.

So I am wondering, if that's the problem, does it work alright if
you're still using the standard prefork MPM?
mod_backhand & apache2/prefork [ In reply to ]
On Nov 10, 2003, at 4:32 PM, Mark Bainter wrote:
> So, from reading past posts, mod_backhand apparently doesn't work
> with apache2. However, it seems like most of the posts mention
> it doesn't work with some of the changes. There particularly
> seems to be some concern about the new threaded MPM.
>
> So I am wondering, if that's the problem, does it work alright if
> you're still using the standard prefork MPM?

while I am sure there are no huge technical obstacles to porting
mod_backhand to use Apache2 constraining it to the preform MPM. But,
if you are going to limit it yourself to prefork, why use Apache2 at
all?

mod_backhand needs a good and complete overhaul to work correctly under
Apache 2. There is no reason that mod_backhand should be ported
directly. It is the original implementation of the module and just as
most software projects, a complete refactoring for v2 is warranted.

90% of the code logic can be completely removed from mod_backhand in
apache2. The resource information collection program should be
implemented as a standalone service using something like libgtop (but
not libgtop because of its restrictive license). The connection
proxying code should be delegated to the mod_proxy module. That leaves
on the decision making algorithms -- a lot less to break and a lot less
to maintain.

I don't have the free time to develop this at the moment, but I would
be happy to offer guidance and code-review for anyone who wants to take
on the project.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// Postal Engine -- http://www.postalengine.com/