Mailing List Archive

Circular dependency with mariadb el7
Hello Stephen,

Just noticed that a new rev of 27.4 has been compiled . When I tried to
install/upgrade ended up with a circular dependency :

---> Package mariadb-server.x86_64 1:5.5.37-1.el7_0 will be installed
--> Processing Conflict: 1:mariadb-galera-server-5.5.37-2.el7.x86_64
conflicts mariadb-server
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: mariadb-galera-server conflicts with
1:mariadb-server-5.5.37-1.el7_0.x86_64

root@htpc /home/mythtv # yum remove mariadb-galera-server

Dependencies Resolved

======================================================================================================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
======================================================================================================================================================================
Removing:
mariadb-galera-server x86_64 1:5.5.37-2.el7
@epel 56 M
Removing for dependencies:
mythtv x86_64 0.27.4-2.el7.centos @myth 0.0

Transaction Summary
======================================================================================================================================================================
Remove 1 Package (+1 Dependent package)

So the mariadb-server for package: mythtv-0.27.4-3.el7.centos.x86_64 ,
is needed for mythtv , but it is not compatible with
mariadb-galera-server which is also a dependency for mythtv .

Best Regards

Milorad

Re: Circular dependency with mariadb el7 [ In reply to ]
Hello Guys,

A bit more on this saga , I decided to upgrade to latest mythtv
mythtv-0.27.4-4.el7.centos.x86_64 and again had incompatibility as per
last email . This time I decided to remove mariadb-galera-server by
force . This worked and I was able to update mythtv , which as a
dependency installed mariadb-server . After I rebooted the machine
trouble started , mythbackend was dead because mysqld did not start . I
tried to start mysqld also tried starting mariadb but none of them would
. So in the end I removed mariadb-server with --nodeps , and force
installed mariadb-galera-server . After that I was able to start up
mysqld and mythbackend . So I have ended up with these rpms :

root@htpc /home/mythtv # rpm -qa "mariadb*"
mariadb-5.5.37-1.el7_0.x86_64
mariadb-galera-common-5.5.37-2.el7.x86_64
mariadb-libs-5.5.37-1.el7_0.x86_64
mariadb-galera-server-5.5.37-2.el7.x86_64

Does anyone know where mariadb-galera-server came from , and why we use
it , also what is mariadb-server and how come we need it now ?
My guess is that my next myth update will fail as well , so I need to
get out of this vicious circle .

Best Regards

Milorad

Re: Circular dependency with mariadb el7 [ In reply to ]
Digging a bit more , I found this link :

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5902

which states :

I recently added the "galera" and "mariadb-galera" packages to Fedora
and had epel6 and epel7 branches created. These need to be remove and
the packages should be purged from the epel repos, if possible. The
problem is that mariadb-galera-server provides "mysql-server", which is
technically correct, but so do other packages in base RHEL. ..... and
since EPEL has a policy of not conflicting with RHEL packages, we
probably want to keep mariadb-galera-* out of EPEL.

So I had a quick look for other packages to see if another provides
mysql-server,

root@htpc /home/mythtv # yum whatprovides mysql-server
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
* base: mirror.optus.net
* elrepo: mirror.web24.net.au
* epel: mirror.web24.net.au
* extras: centos.mirror.crucial.com.au
* updates: centos.mirror.crucial.com.au
1:mariadb-galera-server-5.5.37-2.el7.x86_64 : The MariaDB server and
related files
Repo : installed
Matched from:
Provides : mysql-server = 1:5.5.37-2.el7

And the only one I could find was mariadb-galera-server .

Re: Circular dependency with mariadb el7 [ In reply to ]
On 3/11/2014 8:53 pm, mo.ucina wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Package Arch Version Repository Size
>>> ======================================================================================================================================================================
>>>
>>> Removing:
>>> mariadb-galera-server x86_64 1:5.5.37-2.el7
>>> @epel 56 M
>>> Removing for dependencies:
>>> mythtv x86_64 0.27.4-2.el7.centos @myth 0.0
>>>
>>> Transaction Summary
>>> ======================================================================================================================================================================
>>>
>>> Remove 1 Package (+1 Dependent package)
>>>

>>> So the mariadb-server for package:
>>> mythtv-0.27.4-3.el7.centos.x86_64 , is needed for mythtv , but it is
>>> not compatible with mariadb-galera-server which is also a dependency

Milorad,

I had a look and found the same the problem. It looks from what i can
see that mariadb-server does not provide mysql-server - in the yum
sense. I'll have to download both and do a rpm -qp on them and see
exactly what they provide and don't provide.

I've also updated scrpms-repo to now use mirrors - there are 3. The repo
is also using drpms so presto will now work.

Cheers
Stephen

Re: Circular dependency with mariadb el7 [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>>>
>>> Package Arch Version Repository Size
>>> ======================================================================================================================================================================
>>>
>>> Removing:
>>> mariadb-galera-server x86_64 1:5.5.37-2.el7
>>> @epel 56 M
>>> Removing for dependencies:
>>> mythtv x86_64 0.27.4-2.el7.centos @myth 0.0
>>>
>>> Transaction Summary
>>> ======================================================================================================================================================================
>>>
>>> Remove 1 Package (+1 Dependent package)
>>>

>>> So the mariadb-server for package:
>>> mythtv-0.27.4-3.el7.centos.x86_64 , is needed for mythtv , but it is
>>> not compatible with mariadb-galera-server which is also a dependency

I hope I've fixed it for the next release I've added
pkgconfig(mariadb-server) as a requirement and hopefully pkgconfig can
sort it out. The choices were mysql-server, mysql-compat-server or
mariadb-server. It now looks like mariadb-galera-server is gone from
epel so the problem should be solved.

Cheers
Stephen

Re: Circular dependency with mariadb el7 [ In reply to ]
Hello Stephen,

I had a look at mariadb-server to see where we can get mysql-server from
. Here the picture is very messy . In fc20 mariadb-server, as delivered
does in fact provide mysql-server , however in el7 that is not the case
. The RHEL source of mariadb-server for Centos/Scientific 7 re-branding
does not have the mysql-server there . So we have a few possibilities
all of them a pain , because build process of mythtv for Fedora will be
different from that of Centos . For Centos we will need to have
mariadb-galera-server , unless we re-package/re-compile the fedora srpm
of mariadb-server for Centos . If that is the case you will then need to
host this modified version for Centos users . Other possibility for
Centos users is to tie in the mariadb-galera project repo as a
dependency for mythtv , and have it pull from there .

Best Regards

Milorad

Re: Circular dependency with mariadb el7 [ In reply to ]
Or a third alternative , which is to beg EPEL to put back
maria-galere-server , but just for Centos 7 repo as suggested by Till on
the epel trouble ticket 5902 . The package can not be retired as there
is no replacement up stream package that does the same thing .

-Milorad

Re: Circular dependency with mariadb el7 [ In reply to ]
I'll have a look and see what each provides.  You can see be doing a rpm -q --provides installed.rpm I'll do some checking later today. F21 x86_64 is a bit of a mess as well as it is installing generic-release rather than fedora-release. I guess it will be fixed on release version.

Cheers
Stephen

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S4 on the Telstra 4G network