[image: image.png]
From our hosting dashboard (which is IONOS), we have created the
subdomain (*front.alliancecybertech.eu
<http://front.alliancecybertech.eu>)* and redirect it to our IP.
We did not add any DNS record for it, should we ?

I joined a file containing the contents of */etc/hosts* + the conf file we
set up.

If anybody could explain what we missed, it would be great.

Regards,

*Julien*
Re: Can't display an index.html on our public IP [ In reply to ]
Your setup is using nginx as a reverse proxy for the httpd instance, based
on that error.

For httpd, you will likely need to make sure the DirectoryIndex is set up
properly, and make sure you can access it directly first. Then, configure
nginx to pass the request properly.

Also, make sure to run apachectl -S to ensure that your httpd vhosts are
defined correctly.

Re: Can't display an index.html on our public IP [ In reply to ]
On Monday 21 November 2022 at 17:59:58, Ju lien wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are developers and supposed to create a website. The website is created
> but we are also supposed to put it on line through Apache.

The first thing I recommend that you do, then, is to remove nginx from the
machine.

In case you are not aware, Apache and nginx are both web servers, and you will
run into all sorts of trouble if you try to run both on the same machine.

I also recommend that you do no configuration of apache whatsoever, and make
sure you can get to the example web page which is supplied with every
installation of Apache I have come across.

Here is a random example I just found from a Google search:
http://www.lukminer.net/

Once you can get your web server to show *that* then you are ready to start
configuring it for your own content.

Antony.

--
“If code doesn’t receive constant love, it turns to shit.”

- Brad Fitzpatrick, Google engineer

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Re: Can't display an index.html on our public IP [ In reply to ]
Do not remove nginx without checking if anything depends on it first. As
counter-intuitive as this may look, many hosters use nginx as a front-end
proxy.

Re: Can't display an index.html on our public IP [ In reply to ]
On Monday 21 November 2022 at 18:16:45, Frank Gingras wrote:

> Do not remove nginx without checking if anything depends on it first. As
> counter-intuitive as this may look, many hosters use nginx as a front-end
> proxy.

Hm. I had assumed that whatever this system was. the OP had set it up for
their own use, rather than that someone else may have pre-configured it, and
for me the concept of using nginx as a front-end proxy to Apache is just
bizarre.

They can both be proxies and they can both be web servers, so why not just
pick one and use it for whatever you need?

Oh well, I agree that if the OP did not set this system up themselves, such
things are worth checking.

Antony.

> On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 12:12, Antony Stone wrote:
> > On Monday 21 November 2022 at 17:59:58, Ju lien wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > We are developers and supposed to create a website. The website is
> > > created but we are also supposed to put it on line through Apache.
> >
> > The first thing I recommend that you do, then, is to remove nginx from
> > the machine.
> >
> > In case you are not aware, Apache and nginx are both web servers, and you
> > will run into all sorts of trouble if you try to run both on the same
> > machine.
> >
> > I also recommend that you do no configuration of apache whatsoever, and
> > make sure you can get to the example web page which is supplied with every
> > installation of Apache I have come across.
> >
> > Here is a random example I just found from a Google search:
> > http://www.lukminer.net/
> >
> > Once you can get your web server to show *that* then you are ready to
> > start configuring it for your own content.

--
I know I always wanted to be somebody, but I guess I should have been more
specific.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Re: Can't display an index.html on our public IP [ In reply to ]
Hello Antony, thanks for your advices.

Actually we do not have control on the Nginx part, as it is managed by our
VPS provider (which is IONOS).
The only access we have is on a Ubuntu server through a SSH connection.
That's why we installed Apache. And by the way, we can display the default
Apache page you mentionned.

More precisely, here is our context :

- we do have a first website called : *www.website.com
<http://www.website.com>* associated to an IP (let's call it IP_ONE).
This one is correctly displayed since years.
- we just created a second website (as subdomain of the previous
one) : *second.website.com
<http://second.website.com>* associated to an other IP (lets call it
IP_TWO). This one get a 404 error.

According to you, how should we set up the hosts file ?

Regards,

*Julien*

Re: Can't display an index.html on our public IP [ In reply to ]
Hello Frank, thanks for your advices.

Re: Can't display an index.html on our public IP [ In reply to ]
In short, you need:

1) Run apachectl -S or httpd -S and make sure that you have non-overlapping
vhosts (unique ServerName set in every vhost) and that every vhost
specifies a port (:80 or :443)
2) Then have your hoster configure nginx to point to the correct vhost.