Mailing List Archive

Is Apache 2.4.7 newer than 2.4.54
My Apache 2.4.52 is crashing with a bug apparently eliminated in 2.4.7.

Server Version: Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu 2022.04) OpenSSL/3.0.2
mod_wsgi/4.9.0 Python/3.10
Server MPM: event
Server Built: 2022-06-14T12:30:21

DigitalOcean droplet 8GB memory, dedicated CPU.

The log says ...
[Mon Oct 24 04:50:35.867241 2022] [mpm_event:error] [pid 904:tid
140622640994176] AH03490: scoreboard is full, not at
MaxRequestWorkers.Increase ServerLimit.

mpm-event.conf ...
# event MPM
# ServerLimit: Upper limit on configurable number of processes (default 16)
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start (default 3)
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
(default 75)
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
(default 250)
# ThreadLimit: upper limit on the configurable number of threads per
child process (default 64)
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server
process (default 25)
# MaxRequestWorkers: maximum number of worker threads
(ServerLimit*ThreadsPerChild)
# MaxConnectionsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule mpm_event_module>
    ServerLimit            16
    StartServers            3
    MinSpareThreads            75
    MaxSpareThreads            250
    ThreadLimit            64
    ThreadsPerChild            25
    AsyncRequestWorkerFactor    2
    MaxRequestWorkers        400
    MaxConnectionsPerChild        0
</IfModule>

Re: Is Apache 2.4.7 newer than 2.4.54 [ In reply to ]
You could temporarily increase your ThreadsPerChild, as 25 is extremely low
and increases the chances of that bug occurring.

I'd have to find out what fix applies to this bug, and why your
installation is still vulnerable. Perhaps your distro used backports.

Re: Is Apache 2.4.7 newer than 2.4.54 [ In reply to ]
On 26/10/2022 12:45 pm, Frank Gingras wrote:
> You could temporarily increase your ThreadsPerChild, as 25 is
> extremely low and increases the chances of that bug occurring.

Thanks Frank

These are the adjustments I made ...

        ThreadLimit                     500     #64
        ThreadsPerChild                 250     #25

The server is not heavily used other than by script-kiddies looking for
php hacks. My next project is to find some way to black-hole anything
with php or wp in the request. Maybe a redirect to google or something.

> I'd have to find out what fix applies to this bug, and why your
> installation is still vulnerable. Perhaps your distro used backports.

I can't answer such questions.

But the defaults were very restrictive originally - set by DigitalOcean
I suppose. I changed them to the defaults specified in the Apache docs -
per the comment lines in my original post.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Cheers

mike

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 at 20:02, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
>
> My Apache 2.4.52 is crashing with a bug apparently eliminated in
> 2.4.7.
>
> Server Version: Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu 2022.04) OpenSSL/3.0.2
> mod_wsgi/4.9.0 Python/3.10
> Server MPM: event
> Server Built: 2022-06-14T12:30:21
>
> DigitalOcean droplet 8GB memory, dedicated CPU.
>
> The log says ...
> [Mon Oct 24 04:50:35.867241 2022] [mpm_event:error] [pid 904:tid
> 140622640994176] AH03490: scoreboard is full, not at
> MaxRequestWorkers.Increase ServerLimit.
>
> mpm-event.conf ...
> # event MPM
> # ServerLimit: Upper limit on configurable number of processes
> (default 16)
> # StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
> (default 3)
> # MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept
> spare
> (default 75)
> # MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept
> spare
> (default 250)
> # ThreadLimit: upper limit on the configurable number of threads per
> child process (default 64)
> # ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server
> process (default 25)
> # MaxRequestWorkers: maximum number of worker threads
> (ServerLimit*ThreadsPerChild)
> # MaxConnectionsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server
> process serves
> <IfModule mpm_event_module>
>      ServerLimit            16
>      StartServers            3
>      MinSpareThreads            75
>      MaxSpareThreads            250
>      ThreadLimit            64
>      ThreadsPerChild            25
>      AsyncRequestWorkerFactor    2
>      MaxRequestWorkers        400
>      MaxConnectionsPerChild        0
> </IfModule>

Signed email is an absolute defence against phishing. This email has
been signed with my private key. If you import my public key you can
automatically decrypt my signature and be sure it came from me. Just
ask and I'll send it to you. Your email software can handle signing.
Re: Is Apache 2.4.7 newer than 2.4.54 [ In reply to ]
The defaults in the docs really cater to a low-traffic server; perhaps
there should be a note to that effect.

Re: Is Apache 2.4.7 newer than 2.4.54 [ In reply to ]
On 27/10/2022 2:55 am, Frank Gingras wrote:
> The defaults in the docs really cater to a low-traffic server; perhaps
> there should be a note to that effect.
>
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 at 01:47, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
>
> On 26/10/2022 12:45 pm, Frank Gingras wrote:
>> You could temporarily increase your ThreadsPerChild, as 25 is
>> extremely low and increases the chances of that bug occurring.
>
> Thanks Frank
>
> These are the adjustments I made ...
>
>         ThreadLimit                     500     #64
>         ThreadsPerChild                 250     #25

This seems to have worked ...

Server uptime: 1 day 17 hours 23 minutes 47 seconds

Many thanks Frank

Mike

RE: Is Apache 2.4.7 newer than 2.4.54 [ In reply to ]
Hi,
Just checking, are you interested acquiring the list of attendees? Please respond my email. I'm waiting for your response.

We are discussing about Prices And, provide the discount cost.
Thank you,

Kind Regards.

Re: Is Apache 2.4.7 newer than 2.4.54 [ In reply to ]
On 28/10/2022 10:42 am, Mike Dewhirst wrote:
> On 27/10/2022 2:55 am, Frank Gingras wrote:
>> The defaults in the docs really cater to a low-traffic server;
>> perhaps there should be a note to that effect.
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 at 01:47, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 26/10/2022 12:45 pm, Frank Gingras wrote:
>>> You could temporarily increase your ThreadsPerChild, as 25 is
>>> extremely low and increases the chances of that bug occurring.
>>
>> Thanks Frank
>>
>> These are the adjustments I made ...
>>
>>         ThreadLimit                     500     #64
>>         ThreadsPerChild                 250     #25
>>

> This seems to have worked ...
>
> Server uptime: 1 day 17 hours 23 minutes 47 seconds

Server uptime: 3 days 21 hours 57 minutes 33 seconds

Sadly I have to restart the machine for security updates so I'll have to
start the count again. But it is looking good!

> Many thanks Frank

:-)

Re: Is Apache 2.4.7 newer than 2.4.54 [ In reply to ]
Further to things working, I just saw the following entry in syslog ...

Nov  2 23:53:59 xxxxxx apachectl[70750]: AH00513: WARNING: MaxRequestWorkers of 400 is not an integer multiple of ThreadsPerChild of 250, decreasing to nearest multiple 250, for a maximum of 1 servers.

Could you please comment on the following changes I just made to
mpm_event.conf ...

> <IfModule mpm_event_module>
>         ServerLimit                     16
>         StartServers                    3
>         MinSpareThreads                 75
>         MaxSpareThreads                 250
>         ThreadLimit                     750 # 500
>         ThreadsPerChild                 250
>         AsyncRequestWorkerFactor        2
>         MaxRequestWorkers               1000 # 400
>         MaxConnectionsPerChild          0
> </IfModule>

Thanks

Mike