Mailing List Archive

??: [users@httpd] ??: [users@httpd] [apache]maxconnectionsperchild problem
Hi Frank Gingras

I am sorry I missed this mail.

I have got your advice and gone to study event mpm.
I had study worker mpm before and very concerned about its
instability in processing large volume servers and the interaction between threads.
I don’t know if event mpm can avoid this problems but I will study it.
Thank you for you advice again

Best regards

?? Liu Meng
Project Development Dept.
Tel : 010 82306399-7526 /Phone : 18500386112

?????????????? ?????????????????????????A?8F
Address : 8Floor,A Block,NavInfo Building, Southeast Crossing of BeiQing Rd. and YongFeng Rd., HaiDian District, Beijing?100094?

???: Frank Gingras <thumbs@apache.org>
????: 2022?4?16? 2:45
???: users@httpd.apache.org
??: Re: [users@httpd] ??: [users@httpd] [apache]maxconnectionsperchild problem

Aside from the useful tuning tips, I would also caution against using prefork for high-volume servers. The event mpm would scale better.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 at 09:55, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com<mailto:ylavic.dev@gmail.com>> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 3:50 PM Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com<mailto:ylavic.dev@gmail.com>> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 2:16 PM ?? <liumeng@telemap.com.cn<mailto:liumeng@telemap.com.cn>> wrote:
> >

> > What I want to ask is, will these 1000 sub processes fail at the same time,
> > causing my httpd serivce to stop responding.But I think you have given the answer
> > >because the clients connections themselves will not have the same
> > >lifetime (including keep-alive in between requests). In my opinion the risk is negligible.
> >
> > I think setting MaxConnectionsPerChild will lead to a slight decrease in the processing capacity of my server,
> > but the possibility that all processes failed at the same time can be ignored.. Is my understanding correct
>
> Yes, and I don't think there will be a noticeable capacity change if
> you don't set MaxConnectionsPerChild too low (the right tuning depends
> on the number of connections per second).
>

> > in this way, the restart action usually occurs in the busiest period of the server in daytime,
> > so I think your advice of using cron is a good suggestion. Of course, in order to prevent all httped services from
> > stopping at the same time, I think I should set cron for the servers at different times. Is that I am in the right way?
>
> Yes, and ideally your DNS switches do not happen at the load peak, so
> there should be too much processes restarted when the cron executes.

"there should *not* be"

> > I also thank you for your suggestions on max/minspareservers. The adjustment of them will also be in my plan.
> > > you probably should raise it to something more close to MaxRequestWorkers for efficiency.
> >
> > Do you mean I should adjust it to a daily peak of about 1000?
>
> Yes, that way at the load peak you have the full capacity of
> processes, and after the peak they should be killed by
> MaxConnectionsPerChild at some point (without being restarted) hence
> move towards MinSpareservers, until the next peak..
> So you should find the MaxConnectionsPerChild setting that does kill

"that does *not* kill"