Mailing List Archive

Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost
Apache2.4 installed and operating on Widows 7. Test site is loaded at C:\Apache24\htdocs\testsite.com. Site index is loaded in the testsite.com folder as index (an htm file). Virtual Hosts is set up as:

<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerAdmin adm@example.com
DocumentRoot"C:Apache24/htdocs/"
ServerName testsite.com
ErrorLog "logs/testsite.log"
ServerAlias www.testsite.com
Custom Log "Logs/testsite.logs" common

</virtual host>

Using FireFox browser calling testsite.com goes to a live site on the internet. Calling local host brings up this:

Index of /
a.. testsite.com/
which in turn shows this:

Index of /testsite.com
a.. Parent Directory
b.. index.htm
I’ve researched everything I can think of on Google and haven’t been able to connect to the site index. Obviously I have an error somewhere.

All assistance will be sincerely appreciated.

Milt Spain
Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 5:12 PM DiversityLink/Milt Spain
<pbservices@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Apache2.4 installed and operating on Widows 7. Test site is loaded at C:\Apache24\htdocs\testsite.com. Site index is loaded in the testsite.com folder as index (an htm file). Virtual Hosts is set up as:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>
> ServerAdmin adm@example.com
> DocumentRoot"C:Apache24/htdocs/"
> ServerName testsite.com

How about appending:
ServerAlias localhost

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
Besides the ServerAlias, You probably also need to add
DirectoryIndex index.html
and also change your document root to the actual root directory where your
website is located.

- Y

Sent from a device with a very small keyboard and hyperactive autocorrect.

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 17:12:16 -0400, DiversityLink/Milt Spain wrote:

> Apache2.4 installed and operating on Widows 7. Test site is loaded at =
> C:\Apache24\htdocs\testsite.com. Site index is loaded in the =
> testsite.com folder as index (an htm file). Virtual Hosts is set up as:
>
><VirtualHost *:80>
> =20
> ServerAdmin adm@example.com
> DocumentRoot"C:Apache24/htdocs/"
> ServerName testsite.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What I do:

ServerName testsite.tst

In /etc/hosts:

192.168.0.17 www.testsite.tst testsite.tst

In my case(s) the testsite.tst matches up with my production
testsite.com (or .net , .org , etc.) which is hosted elsewhere.

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all the suggestions. Tried them all with no resolution of the problem. Reloaded Apache 2.4 and it seemed to be working well but all of sudden I can’t access LocalHost. Get this message.
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

Get the “Cannot Find The Site” message when trying to find the website with any browser.

Current Host file is :

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 Milts1.com

Current Virtual Host is:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin Milts1@example.com
DocumentRoot c:/Apache24/htdocs/Milts1.com/
ServerName Milts1.com
ErrorLog logs/Milts1.com
ServerAlias www.Milts1.com
CustomLog logs/Milts1.com common
</VirtualHost>

Path to the website is:

C:/Apache24/htdocs/Milts1.com

Any suggestions that will help resolve my problem will be appreciated.

Milt Spain

Besides the ServerAlias, You probably also need to add
DirectoryIndex index.html
and also change your document root to the actual root directory where your website is located.

- Y

Sent from a device with a very small keyboard and hyperactive autocorrect.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 5:21 PM Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 5:12 PM DiversityLink/Milt Spain
<pbservices@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Apache2.4 installed and operating on Widows 7. Test site is loaded at C:\Apache24\htdocs\testsite.com. Site index is loaded in the testsite.com folder as index (an htm file). Virtual Hosts is set up as:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>
> ServerAdmin adm@example.com
> DocumentRoot"C:Apache24/htdocs/"
> ServerName testsite.com

How about appending:
ServerAlias localhost

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
What do you get when you ping localhost?

knute...

Knute Johnson

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
A ping will not help with a 403 error.

The error log needs to be reviewed, as it will expose the source of the 403
error.

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
On 4/13/22 18:18, Knute Johnson wrote:
> What do you get when you ping localhost?
>
> knute...

it is responding with a 403 which means there is nothing to ping about

403 Forbidden
The HTTP 403 Forbidden response status code indicates that the server
understands the request but refuses to authorize it.

Something is wrong in the authorization part of the response cycle.

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/auth.html

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
Let's just get the actual error log entry first.

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
Yea I know that, I was just curious about:

> > Current Host file is :
> >
> > # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
> > # 127.0.0.1 localhost
> > # ::1 localhost
> > 127.0.0.1 Milts1.com

I'm still curious.

On 4/13/22 20:55, Frank Gingras wrote:
> A ping will not help with a 403 error.
>
> The error log needs to be reviewed, as it will expose the source of the
> 403 error.
>
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 at 18:18, Knute Johnson
> <groups@knutejohnson.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> What do you get when you ping localhost?
>
> knute...
>
> On 4/13/2022 3:25 PM, DiversityLink/Milt Spain wrote:
> > Thanks for all the suggestions. Tried them all with no resolution
> of the
> > problem. Reloaded Apache 2.4 and it seemed to be working well but
> all of
> > sudden I can’t access LocalHost. Get this message.
> >

> >   Forbidden
> >
> > You don't have permission to access this resource.
> >
> > Get the “Cannot Find The Site” message when trying to find the
> website
> > with any browser.
> >
> > Current Host file is :
> >
> > # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
> > #    127.0.0.1 localhost
> > # ::1 localhost
> >      127.0.0.1 Milts1.com
> > Current Virtual Host is:
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >      ServerAdmin Milts1@example.com <mailto:Milts1@example.com>
> >      DocumentRoot c:/Apache24/htdocs/Milts1.com/
> >      ServerName Milts1.com
> >      ErrorLog logs/Milts1.com
> >      ServerAlias www.Milts1.com <http://www.Milts1.com>
> >      CustomLog logs/Milts1.com common
> > </VirtualHost>
> > Path to the website is:
> > C:/Apache24/htdocs/Milts1.com
> > Any suggestions that will help resolve my problem will be
> appreciated.
> > Milt Spain

Knute Johnson

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
On 13/04/2022 21:25, DiversityLink/Milt Spain wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions. Tried them all with no resolution of
> the problem. Reloaded Apache 2.4 and it seemed to be working well but
> all of sudden I can’t access LocalHost. Get this message.

It looks like you need to grant permission on the folder for the
"Public" to access the resource. I suggest right click on the folder and
then choose Sharing from the tab. You can then assign permission for
"Read/Write". Windows is pretty fussy about sharing of resources on its
system!.

I run both IIs and Apache on my machine using the same DocRoot which IIS
calls it "inetpub" so that I don't have to duplicate the Joomla or
Wordpress sites or even static HTML/CSS/JS files for my development
sites. I use Windows 11 but I have used 10, 7, Vista and XP before and I
have manually installed Apache/MySQL on all of them so I have gone
through the hassle you are going through.

--

With over 1.9 billion devices now running Windows 10/11, customer

Re: Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
Can we please stop guessing at the cause of the error until said user gives
us the verbatim log entry?

Re: Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
Hello.

While it is important to look at the error logs, this may not have led to a situation where the proper error logs are output :)

First, make sure they edit the appropriate config files and also make sure they are rebooting the appropriate server processes.
For example, they could write some characters in the config file they are editing that would cause a parse error on purpose and restart apache.exe.
If and when the server stops working, it is probably editing the appropriate configuration files :)

Regards.

Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
On 14/04/2022 20:18, Frank Gingras wrote:
> Can we please stop guessing at the cause of the error until said user
> gives us the verbatim log entry?

Can we please tell the OP that Error 403 Forbidden means the access is
permanently forbidden and tied to the application logic, such as
insufficient rights to a resource. This simply means that on a Windows
Machine the OP hasn't created sufficient "Share Option" to the folder in
which the files are placed. By default apache expects htdoc folder to be
publicly available (or whatever the OP designated for html/css files) .
This simply means that the appropriate permission is given to the
folder. Windows System will never allow Apache to create that
permission. As I said, Windows is pretty fussy about security and that
why Apache is mostly used on a Linux machine but people still use Windows!

There is nothing to guess about this. It is all documented for years.

With over 1.9 billion devices now running Windows 10/11, customer

Re: Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 6:08 PM ???? Good Guy ???? <xfsgpr@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 14/04/2022 20:18, Frank Gingras wrote:
> > Can we please stop guessing at the cause of the error until said user
> > gives us the verbatim log entry?
> >
> Can we please tell the OP that Error 403 Forbidden means the access is
> permanently forbidden and tied to the application logic, such as
> insufficient rights to a resource. This simply means that on a Windows
> Machine the OP hasn't created sufficient "Share Option" to the folder in
> which the files are placed.

> There is nothing to guess about this. It is all documented for years.

Without the error log you're at best guessing between "application
logic" and "filesystem permissions".
At worst, simultaneously guessing both in a way that only muddies the
waters further.

Re: Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
Thanks again for the suggestions. Now I have another question regarding updating the version of Apache that I have hosting a website on a remote Windows Server 2019.
The server is partitioned C, D,& E. Apache 2.2 is on the C drive and the website docs are on the E drive. All works well. Here’s the question: can I install Apache 2.4 on the D drive, have it listen to a port other than 80, and start and test it while the older version of Apache is running on the C drive serving up the website.

Your answer and suggestions will be appreciated.

Milt Spain

Re: Re: Unable to connect to Apache test website on LocalHost [ In reply to ]
Yes, you can run multiple instances of httpd on windows. Make sure the log
file paths do not overlap as well.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 at 16:39, DiversityLink/Milt Spain <