Mailing List Archive

apache2 disabled by apache2.conf error
Paranoia is running amok.

It seems that line 80 expects an APACHE_RUN_DIR env var.

It has been /var/www/html/gene since at least 18 years.
And the address in the sig has been registered to me for at least a
decade.
But I can't access it, either by the address in the sig or at localhost
now. dig shows my registered address has not changed. I also can't
access my router at its assigned address but the rest of my network is
running just fine. And I can ping it by the name in the sig.

How do I set it, and who sets (owns) it?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
- Louis D. Brandeis

Re: apache2 disabled by apache2.conf error [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 21 November 2021 15:35:32 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Paranoia is running amok.
>
> It seems that line 80 expects an APACHE_RUN_DIR env var.
>
> It has been /var/www/html/gene since at least 18 years.
> And the address in the sig has been registered to me for at least a
> decade.
> But I can't access it, either by the address in the sig or at
> localhost now. dig shows my registered address has not changed. I also
> can't access my router at its assigned address but the rest of my
> network is running just fine. And I can ping it by the name in the
> sig.
>
> How do I set it, and who sets (owns) it?

Even more wierdness, the "other" log shows it serving up the front page
image to all accesses right now. Why can't I see it with a browser?

> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
- Louis D. Brandeis

Re: apache2 disabled by apache2.conf error [ In reply to ]
> It seems that line 80 expects an APACHE_RUN_DIR env var.

It means you ran "apache2" or "httpd" instead of the startup script
(apachectl) or service/systemctl your system expects
Or you've removed variables like APACHE_RUN_DIR from wherever your
distro keeps the environment variables.

Re: apache2 disabled by apache2.conf error [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 21 November 2021 16:32:24 Eric Covener wrote:

> > It seems that line 80 expects an APACHE_RUN_DIR env var.
>
> It means you ran "apache2" or "httpd" instead of the startup script
> (apachectl) or service/systemctl your system expects
> Or you've removed variables like APACHE_RUN_DIR from wherever your
> distro keeps the environment variables.

I haven't removed anything myself, but synaptic may have.. This is as it
was rebooted 9 something days ago. Some of the directories have a nov 3
date, but the files range from 2012 to 2019 since touched according to
mc. This is a very old but kept uptodate debian stretch install that is
about to get bullseye installed by switching out the /dev/sda drive for
a fresh SSD with a 2 Tbyte raid10 as /home. I think systemctl starts it
normally but I don't have that critter figured out yet. And when I do
issue a gracefull restart as sudo,

/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service gracefull
-bash: /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service: Permission denied

its not executable
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 346 Oct 13 2019 apache2.service

Now what? And thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
- Louis D. Brandeis

Re: apache2 disabled by apache2.conf error [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 21 November 2021 17:26:06 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 21 November 2021 16:32:24 Eric Covener wrote:
> > > It seems that line 80 expects an APACHE_RUN_DIR env var.
> >
> > It means you ran "apache2" or "httpd" instead of the startup script
> > (apachectl) or service/systemctl your system expects
> > Or you've removed variables like APACHE_RUN_DIR from wherever your
> > distro keeps the environment variables.
>
> I haven't removed anything myself, but synaptic may have.. This is as
> it was rebooted 9 something days ago. Some of the directories have a
> nov 3 date, but the files range from 2012 to 2019 since touched
> according to mc. This is a very old but kept uptodate debian stretch
> install that is about to get bullseye installed by switching out the
> /dev/sda drive for a fresh SSD with a 2 Tbyte raid10 as /home. I think
> systemctl starts it normally but I don't have that critter figured out
> yet. And when I do issue a gracefull restart as sudo,
>
> /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service gracefull
> -bash: /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service: Permission denied
>
> its not executable
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 346 Oct 13 2019 apache2.service
>
> Now what? And thanks.

But on the other hand, the script in /etc/init.d does work, no errors or
warnings logged but doesn't fix the problem when it does restart the
server. So I'm clueless.

And I have a friend in oregon I'm going to send a link to to see if he
can pull a realtime kernel for an rpi4b that I've built, and see if he
can get it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
- Louis D. Brandeis

RE: apache2 disabled by apache2.conf error [ In reply to ]

Files in /lib/system are part of systemd you need to use systemctl to start these services.

systemctl start apache2

> But on the other hand, the script in /etc/init.d does work, no errors or
> warnings logged but doesn't fix the problem when it does restart the server.
> So I'm clueless.

The system unit file /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service indicates that the installed version of apache no longer uses sys Vinit scripts. So it is expected that these no longer work on your system.

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd has a lot of information that will be useful to you.
If you're used to working with sys Vinit scripts and the system has been updated to uses system you will need to update your procedures.

> And I have a friend in oregon I'm going to send a link to to see if he can pull a
> realtime kernel for an rpi4b that I've built, and see if he can get it.

Not sure how this is relevant to starting httpd.

HTH