[root@appwebdev1ie bin]# ./apachectl configtest
httpd: Could not open configuration file /apps/apache_2.4.48/conf/httpd.conf: No such file or directory

Can someone toss me a clue as to where else this needs to be corrected? Obviously something is checking
the default build path and I don't know where this is going on.

Thank you,

Jeffrey Cauhape - IT Professional III - Linux and Solaris Administrator
Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation
(775) 224-6836 (cell) jpcauhape@detr.nv.gov<mailto:jpcauhape@detr.nv.gov>
Re: Question about installing 2.4.48 in a non-standard location. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

what do you do exactly ?

- Do you build it with configure --prefix=/apps/apache_2.4.48 - make - make install and then copy it to the two target directories ?
- Or do you build it two times modifiying the --prefix appropriately ?

I would strongly suggest to install it the second way. Or maybe even to have two source tress (unless disk space is a severe issue).

Where do you execute the apachectl configtest ?

Cheers,

Carsten

I would strongly

RE: Question about installing 2.4.48 in a non-standard location. [ In reply to ]
Carsten,

I use the first method you describe. It's always been pretty simple to
modify the pathnames before.

I can see how the multiple source trees/build targets would work, but the
problem is that some systems would require 4 build targets. I'd like to
keep it simple by have just 1 build target, and then configuring it to
local needs, if necessary.

When I execute the config test, I cd to the bin directory and just give
the command

# ./apachectl configtest

That way there is no doubt as to which apachectl is being executed.

Re: Question about installing 2.4.48 in a non-standard location. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 2:29 PM Jeff Cauhape <jpcauhape@detr.nv.gov> wrote:

> Folks,
>

> When I built 2.4.48 from source, I built it in /apps/apache_2.4.48 directory. However, because of the way
>
> our servers are managed, I need to install this as /apps/apache_2.4.48_int and /apps/apache_2.4.48_ext.
>
> When I have done this for earlier versions of Apache, I just edited the path names in apachectl, envvars,
>
> envvars_std, and in httpd.conf.
>

> This doesn’t seem to be adequate anymore.
>

> I have also changed pathnames in apxs, apu-1-config and apr-1-config, but am still getting an error
>
> message when I run “apachectl configtest”
>

> [root@appwebdev1ie bin]# ./apachectl configtest
>
> httpd: Could not open configuration file /apps/apache_2.4.48/conf/httpd.conf: No such file or directory

Maybe you need to append a "-d /apps/apache_2.4.48_int" to the line
beginning with HTTPD= in apachectl?

The default ServerRoot is compiled in, and overriding it in httpd.conf
is too late.

Re: Question about installing 2.4.48 in a non-standard location. [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey,

are you sure you didn't miss anything ?

The following worked for me (I reproduced your scenario as I understood it, build under /apps/apache_2.4.8, the cp -a to /apps/apache_2.4.8_int):

creith@hamlet:/apps/apache_2.4.8_int/bin$ sudo sed -i 's#/apps/apache_2.4.8#/apps/apache_2.4.8_int#' apachectl envvars envvars-std
creith@hamlet:/apps/apache_2.4.8_int/conf$ sudo sed -i 's#/apps/apache_2.4.8#/apps/apache_2.4.8_int#' httpd.conf
creith@hamlet:/apps/apache_2.4.8_int/bin$ sudo ./apachectl configtest
Syntax OK
creith@hamlet:/apps/apache_2.4.8_int/bin$ sudo ./apachectl start
creith@hamlet:/apps/apache_2.4.8_int/bin$ ps -eaf | grep httpd
root 103830 1693 0 02:08 ? 00:00:00 /apps/apache_2.4.8_int/bin/httpd -k start
daemon 103831 103830 0 02:08 ? 00:00:00 /apps/apache_2.4.8_int/bin/httpd -k start
daemon 103832 103830 0 02:08 ? 00:00:00 /apps/apache_2.4.8_int/bin/httpd -k start
daemon 103833 103830 0 02:08 ? 00:00:00 /apps/apache_2.4.8_int/bin/httpd -k start
creith 103916 1955 0 02:08 pts/0 00:00:00 grep httpd

Carsten

Carsten Reith
Dietzestra?e 2
55120 Mainz
Mobil: +49 1520 144 38 12

RE: Question about installing 2.4.48 in a non-standard location. [ In reply to ]
THANK YOU.

That pegged it. Now I'm on to run-of-the-mill problems.