Mailing List Archive

Wordpress | user:group setting
Dear list,
Can you tell me how I should indentify my user:group setting for my
personal website?
Currently I own my website as www:www (for Wordpress auto-update sake).
Would it be more safe to set this to www:me ?

Thanks, Jos
Re: Wordpress | user:group setting [ In reply to ]
Even better:

Set it to root:root, change them when you need to update and set them
back to root:root when finished.

Whenever possible, don´t give any kind of permissions other than read.

--
Daniel Ferradal
HTTPD Project

Re: Wordpress | user:group setting [ In reply to ]
On 04 Apr 2021, at 17:05, Daniel Ferradal <dferradal@apache.org> wrote:
> Set it to root:root, change them when you need to update and set them
> back to root:root when finished.

That is not the norm as far as the servers I see.

Www:staff or www:wheel or www:www are the usual permission.

Directories are 755, files are 444 or 644 if the files are managed by a local user account. Of course, depending on how the files are managed, they may need to be writable by a process (for example, WordPress need to be able to write its files as well as to a database in order to update, something it needs to do frequently).

--
I WILL NOT YELL "FIRE" IN A CROWDED CLASSROOM Bart chalkboard Ep. 7G01