Thanks

Envoyé de mon iPad

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
Don’t know anything about WordPress but having any public (OR private even) accessible files with 777 permissions IS EXTREMELY UNWISE as it allows anyone who can see the file to Read, WRITE and execute it. It’s safer to have 755 permission for public accessible files. Please read apache2 documentation on security.

www.art2.art <http://www.art2.art/>
Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
Thank you but this was not the question the reason for 777 is not because I want to run the system on 777 it’s because I get annoying responses dodging the question that it must be a permissions issue. If I do 777 it doesn’t matter what the question is the answer is that it’s unsafe. If I ask the question with anything but 777 the answer is it’s a permissions issue then the next answer is that it has nothing to do with Apache or Freebsd or anything at all... then a couple people will private message me asking for 1000S of € solve nothing use the money for pornography but is there any way to make actually get this to work?

I cannot upload whether it’s php alone ok my code was written wrong. Whether it’s Wordpress I am not familiar with Wordpress or whether it’s anything else ie . Open cart or ampache answer contact ampache or opencart then they tell me to try freebsd or ampache... then they go back make the root of the webserver have the right permissions and assign the owner as www. No www-users cause that’s the name in their system so it must be that name in mine... thanks for the help no I would rather 755 but I was trying to avoid these types of answers to be able to isolate the solution... but thanks in case I didn’t know plus the reiteration may add a new dimension angle of thought but I still have not solved the problem... unfortunately ... stupid goyim society we live in with these stupid misused computers... and face masks ... etc..

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
On 18/03/2021 22:52, Paul wrote:
> ?Would like to upload a file to have wordpress functionality working or be able to upload a file. User permissions are set at 777 owner is www, os is freebsd, the freebsd mailing list claims it’s not their issue but tried to assert assistance nevertheless. What can I do so I can upload a file via httpd is there something in the configuration directory?
>
> Thanks

I had the same problem on Linux Ubuntu when I wanted to upload Joomla for development work.? I solved it by giving full rights to me!!? See this picture:

https://i.imgur.com/EHSYUMF.png

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure, but FreeBSD happens to be different from Linux, so please change the directory group to www as well.
Permissions of 700, 750, 755, 770 or 775 should be sufficient.

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
This is an extremely bad idea. You should never write to the docroot from
your application. Write outside the docroot instead, and use group write
permissions.

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
On 3/18/21 4:18 PM, Paul wrote:
> ?Would like to upload a file to have wordpress functionality working or be able to upload a file. User permissions are set at 777 owner is www, os is freebsd, the freebsd mailing list claims it’s not their issue but tried to assert assistance nevertheless. What can I do so I can upload a file via httpd is there something in the configuration directory?

In addition to angel's advice (never, ever, set anything to 777) the
next question is, what does the error log say?

The error log will tell you why it failed. Or, possibly since it's
wordpress, your php error log (if php is logging somewhere else, for
example, if you're running php-fpm).

--Rich

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
@rbowen

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
Ok , thanks , it doesn’t appear to be a permissions issue. I will check the php and the apache configuration.

Envoyé de mon iPad

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
On 19/03/2021 13:45, Paul wrote:
> Ok , thanks , it doesn’t appear to be a permissions issue. I will
> check the php and the apache configuration.

php has file size upload limit.?The default is 2 Mb so this might be the problem for you.

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
One thing I didn't see mentioned in the replies is if the DAC on the folder is set to world writable (and I agree with all the responses that say this is a terrible idea) but it still LOOKS like a permissions issue (access denied or other unexplained failures) did you check if MAC (SELuinux, AppArmor) was getting in the way?

HTH,

Scott

________________________________

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
No I was able to set the limit higher.

https://heskia.club/phptest.php If you check this page you can see that the upload is limited to 40 mb .

I edited the php.ini file.

Now I don’t know if that helps but I think it worked at one time. Not sure when or what changed. I tried disabling the firewall to see. I still cannot get it to work. I checked the settings in /usr/local/etc/php/php-fpm.d , restarted Apache. I installed fcgi and added something to httpd. I tried permissions I made www also group user.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
Frank Gingras wrote on 2021/03/19 21:36:
> This is an extremely bad idea. You should never write to the docroot from
> your application. Write outside the docroot instead, and use group write
> permissions.

Isn't root the owner of docroot?
When the user of an application is the owner, he should be free to do anything.
If you don't want users of the application to be free to do so, change the owner/groups separately and don't give them permission.
If we don't understand that we can barricade ourselves in with just that, we will need an extra security system. like SE****x.

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
It has nothing to do with being "free to do anything".

This is about basic security, and the principle of least privileges.

Re: Cannot write to the web directory [ In reply to ]
Frank Gingras wrote on 2021/03/20 09:46:
> It has nothing to do with being "free to do anything".
>
> This is about basic security, and the principle of least privileges.

However, a directory with permissions of 0755 (rwxr-xr-x) on FreeBSD behaves the same as a Linux directory with permissions of perhaps 2755 (rwxr-sr-x).
I want to deal with the problem of unrelated groups propagating as owners, not basic security or least privilege.