Mailing List Archive

Server starting problem
I've installed Apache-2.4.46 on a Raspberry Pi running FreeBSD 12.1 to use as an Intranet website. When I try to start the server after a doing basic config setup I get the following message:

"Syntax error on line 236 of /usr/local/etc/apache24/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'Require', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration"

As "require" appears to be a standard line command in the httpd.conf file I can't imagine why I would get that error message. I haven't been able to find anything in the FAQ nor Docs so far and I'm running out of ideas.
Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Gavan.
Re: Server starting problem [ In reply to ]
Le 27/09/2020 à 14:59, Tara Hall a écrit :

> I've installed Apache-2.4.46 on a Raspberry Pi running FreeBSD 12.1 to
> use as an Intranet website. When I try to start the server after a doing
> basic config setup I get the following message:
>
> "Syntax error on line 236 of /usr/local/etc/apache24/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'Require', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not
> included in the server configuration"
>
> As "require" appears to be a standard line command in the httpd.conf
> file I can't imagine why I would get that error message. I haven't been
> able to find anything in the FAQ nor Docs so far and I'm running out of
> ideas.
> Any pointers would be much appreciated.
>
> Gavan.

Hi,

Require is defined by module mod_authz_core.
Is this module loaded?

CJ

Re: Server starting problem [ In reply to ]
Did you load mod_authz_core? The Require directive is not included in the core module and which additional modules are loaded is controlled either by your distro or by your choices during build. I found this out while locking down a web server to the minimal needed modules.

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authz_core.html#require

You can check with either httpd -M or apachectl -M OR by checking your config files.

Sometimes apachectl configtest will give you a more insightful error, but it doesn't test for everything that could go wrong on startup so a successful test isn't ALWAYS a guarantee of a running system, but I've gotten into the habit of running it before a start or restart.

HTH,

Scott

Re: Server starting problem [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your help. Looks like it was a failed install although there were no errors listed. Not only was

"mod_authz_core" not loaded, that library was not not even installed.

Gavan.

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authz_core.html#require"]https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authz_core.html#require