Mailing List Archive

Re: Harvest cache now available as an ``httpd accelerator''
On Apr 4, 16:36, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
| --- Subject: Harvest cache now available as an ``httpd accelerator'' (fwd)

Hi Mike,

Very interesting idea for servers returning plain files...
However, I was wondering about how you handle:

- Logging requests (for statistical purposes)
- Access control (files that should NOT be serviced)
- Changes in directory indices (is it a smart cache as to notice changes?)
- CGI Scripts (In particular, POST requests and imagemaps)
- Server-Side Includes.

I think that the guys at Yahoo were doing something along these lines,
with a "front-end" HTTP server for basic requests and a "back-end" server
for more complicated ones.

Probably a compiling directive BASIC_HTTPD should be considered
for people with servers that do NOT require any of the mentioned
server capabilities, or just can NOT afford the performance implications.

- Carlos.

Carlos A. Varela (cvarela@uiuc.edu) | U. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
NCSA SDG Research Assistant | CS Graduate Student
http://fiaker.ncsa.uiuc.edu:8080/ | fax:(217)333-5973