Mailing List Archive

[VOTE CLOSED] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git
On 5/4/23 10:34 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

After being open for one week I call this vote closed. Thank you for everyone who participated in this vote by
either voting directly or voicing opinions on the subject.

Result:

Total number of votes: 16

[ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).

13 votes by jorton, ylavic, icing, gbechis, covener, humbedooh, rjung, jailletc36, jblond, gstein, rpluem, jim, fielding.

[ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
what gitbox.apache.org offers.

0 votes.

[ ]: Leave everything as is.

3 votes by manu, ivan, minfrin.

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: [VOTE CLOSED] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 5/11/23 12:27 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 5/4/23 10:34 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
>> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
>> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
>> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
>> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>>

>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
>> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
>> [ ]: Leave everything as is.
>>

> After being open for one week I call this vote closed. Thank you for everyone who participated in this vote by
> either voting directly or voicing opinions on the subject.
>
> Result:
>
> Total number of votes: 16
>
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
>
> 13 votes by jorton, ylavic, icing, gbechis, covener, humbedooh, rjung, jailletc36, jblond, gstein, rpluem, jim, fielding.
>
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
>
> 0 votes.
>
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.
>
> 3 votes by manu, ivan, minfrin.

Now that the vote is closed in favor of moving to Git what are the next steps?
Do we need to open an INFRA ticket to get this done?
Who will open it?
Is there any preferred point of time to do this?

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: [VOTE CLOSED] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 2023-05-11 10:33, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 5/11/23 12:27 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>>

>> On 5/4/23 10:34 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>>> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
>>> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
>>> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
>>> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
>>> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>>>

>>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
>>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
>>> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
>>> [ ]: Leave everything as is.
>>>

>> After being open for one week I call this vote closed. Thank you for everyone who participated in this vote by
>> either voting directly or voicing opinions on the subject.
>>
>> Result:
>>
>> Total number of votes: 16
>>
>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
>>
>> 13 votes by jorton, ylavic, icing, gbechis, covener, humbedooh, rjung, jailletc36, jblond, gstein, rpluem, jim, fielding.
>>
>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
>> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
>>
>> 0 votes.
>>
>> [ ]: Leave everything as is.
>>
>> 3 votes by manu, ivan, minfrin.
>>

> Now that the vote is closed in favor of moving to Git what are the next steps?
> Do we need to open an INFRA ticket to get this done?
> Who will open it?

Anyone on the PMC can open such a ticket, there is a canonical thread
here to prove consensus.

> Is there any preferred point of time to do this?

It depends...
The read-only mirror that we currently have _can_ be repurposed as a r/w
repository, which means the cutover could be quite instant. I'd advise
that folks make the necessary checks and ensure that the git repo has
accurate history and contents (specifically the current state of
trunk/2.4/etc). When we are satisfied, we can ask Infra to switch the
mirror over to a read/write mode. Subversion history will be preserved,
and the subversion dir will be locked to read-only (assuming we don't
have other resources there we need to write to still).

The bigger task comes after that, as all the source links in docs, our
web site etc, will need to be updated, but that can happen after the fact.

Re: [VOTE CLOSED] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 5/11/23 5:40 PM, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 2023-05-11 10:33, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>>> After being open for one week I call this vote closed. Thank you for everyone who participated in this vote by
>>> either voting directly or voicing opinions on the subject.
>>>
>>> Result:
>>>
>>> Total number of votes: 16
>>>
>>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
>>>
>>> 13 votes by jorton, ylavic, icing, gbechis, covener, humbedooh, rjung, jailletc36, jblond, gstein, rpluem, jim, fielding.
>>>
>>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
>>>        what gitbox.apache.org offers.
>>>
>>> 0 votes.
>>>
>>> [ ]: Leave everything as is.
>>>
>>> 3 votes by manu, ivan, minfrin.
>>>

>> Now that the vote is closed in favor of moving to Git what are the next steps?
>> Do we need to open an INFRA ticket to get this done?
>> Who will open it?
>
> Anyone on the PMC can open such a ticket, there is a canonical thread here to prove consensus.
>
>> Is there any preferred point of time to do this?
>
> It depends...
> The read-only mirror that we currently have _can_ be repurposed as a r/w repository, which means the cutover could be quite
> instant. I'd advise that folks make the necessary checks and ensure that the git repo has accurate history and contents
> (specifically the current state of trunk/2.4/etc). When we are satisfied, we can ask Infra to switch the mirror over to a
> read/write mode. Subversion history will be preserved, and the subversion dir will be locked to read-only (assuming we don't have
> other resources there we need to write to still).
>
> The bigger task comes after that, as all the source links in docs, our web site etc, will need to be updated, but that can happen
> after the fact.

Thanks for the process. What about the commit mails currently going to cvs@httpd.apache.org? Do we need to do something to ensure
that git commits get send there in the future?

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: [VOTE CLOSED] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 2023-05-11 13:45, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 5/11/23 5:40 PM, Daniel Gruno wrote:

>>> Now that the vote is closed in favor of moving to Git what are the next steps?
>>> Do we need to open an INFRA ticket to get this done?
>>> Who will open it?
>>
>> Anyone on the PMC can open such a ticket, there is a canonical thread here to prove consensus.
>>
>>> Is there any preferred point of time to do this?
>>
>> It depends...
>> The read-only mirror that we currently have _can_ be repurposed as a r/w repository, which means the cutover could be quite
>> instant. I'd advise that folks make the necessary checks and ensure that the git repo has accurate history and contents
>> (specifically the current state of trunk/2.4/etc). When we are satisfied, we can ask Infra to switch the mirror over to a
>> read/write mode. Subversion history will be preserved, and the subversion dir will be locked to read-only (assuming we don't have
>> other resources there we need to write to still).
>>
>> The bigger task comes after that, as all the source links in docs, our web site etc, will need to be updated, but that can happen
>> after the fact.
>
> Thanks for the process. What about the commit mails currently going to cvs@httpd.apache.org? Do we need to do something to ensure
> that git commits get send there in the future?

All notification schemes and other repository settings for git repos are
handled via the .asf.yaml metadata file[1] and is entirely self-serve.
Each repository we have can have individual settings.

[1] https://s.apache.org/asfyaml