[ ]: Leave everything as is.

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 10:34:32AM +0200, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [X]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

Thanks for calling the vote again.

Regards, Joe
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 10:34?AM Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org> wrote:

> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients

[X]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and
leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).

Regards;
Yann.
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
> Am 04.05.2023 um 10:34 schrieb Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org>:
>
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

Thanks for calling this vote.

> [x]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).

cheers,
Stefan
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 5/4/23 10:34, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

[X]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).

Thanks for calling the vote
Giovanni
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]

Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 2023/05/04 08:34:32 Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients

Quoting provided link:
[.[.[.
Subversion support will be removed from GitHub on January 8, 2024
]]]

> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

[X]: Leave everything as is.
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
Am 04.05.23 um 10:34 schrieb Ruediger Pluem:
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [X]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

Thanks and regards,

Rainer
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
Le 04/05/2023 à 10:34, Ruediger Pluem a écrit :
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.
>

> Regards
>
> Rüdiger

[X]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage
the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).

CJ
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
+1 for switching to GitHub (which implies a switch to git). So:

Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 5/4/23 10:34 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

After thinking a lot I come to the conclusion it is time now to do this.

Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 5/5/23 02:15, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 5/4/23 10:34 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
>> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
>> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
>> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
>> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>>

>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
>> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
>> [ ]: Leave everything as is.
>>

> After thinking a lot I come to the conclusion it is time now to do this.
>
> [X]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
>
> Regards
>
> Rüdiger

Why the assumption of Microsoft github? There is no reason to
migrate to a git service such as Microsoft github when sourcehut works
just fine as does a private git repo provided by Apache FSF itself.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 2:12?AM Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

> Why the assumption of Microsoft github? There is no reason to
> migrate to a git service such as Microsoft github when sourcehut works
> just fine as does a private git repo provided by Apache FSF itself.

Because the Apache Instructure Team has constructed a lot of tooling around
GitHub, to support git-based development at the Foundation. We
maintain/synchronize our own copy of the git repository, mailing lists and
commit emails are provided, LDAP authz groups are mapped to GitHub teams,
we have GitHub Actions available, and more. GitHub is fully-supported and
backed by Microsoft (and we have direct contact with them); compare with
sourcehut, quote: "Notice: sr.ht is currently in alpha, and the quality of
the service may reflect that."

Everybody says git is decentralized, so why are you even asking this
question? Can't you just use any git repository, anywhere? ;-)

Cheers,
-g
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
> Everybody says git is decentralized, so why are you even asking this
> question? Can't you just use any git repository, anywhere? ;-)

Github is microsoft and you can bet they will break things. It is only a
matter of time with them.

Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 3:19?AM Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

> > Everybody says git is decentralized, so why are you even asking this
> > question? Can't you just use any git repository, anywhere? ;-)
>
> Github is microsoft and you can bet they will break things. It is only a
> matter of time with them.

That is a fine opinion to hold. Many people (including myself) would
disagree with your opinion.

The voting so far appears to show that people are not concerned with the
hypothetical "they will break things". I would suggest there are no
comparative historical precedents, so the votes are not reflective of that
... opinion.

Cheers,
-g
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
> On May 4, 2023, at 4:34 AM, Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org> wrote:
>
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [X]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

+1 for the move. "binding" if we are specifically noting votes from PMC members.
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 5/4/23 10:34 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

This vote is now open for about 96 hours and has numerous votes. Anyone opposed if I call it closed and tally the results?

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
I might suggest another day or two because of the weekend and because it is
so high-impact. Maybe an extra post to private@ in case some PMC members
aren't tracking dev@ very closely.

Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On 04 May 2023, at 09:34, Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org> wrote:

> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>

> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [X]: Leave everything as is.

I would rather see proper SVN integration with Github. This is a vote of no confidence in our own projects.

Regards,
Graham
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 10:29:04AM +0100, Graham Leggett via dev wrote:
> This is a vote of no confidence in our own projects.

If the ASF at large was confident in SVN as a technology then our current
reality would look quite different. The Subversion project never managed
to grow its developer base by becoming part of the ASF. We've mostly seen
people who were already involved beforehand slowly disappearing over time.
As a result, maintenance and development activity has declined sharply in
recent years. Nobody at the ASF seems to notice or care and the result of
a vote such as this won't make any difference in the matter.

The overall preference for Github on the HTTPD project makes sense to me
and isn't unexpected at all. Subversion passes as a stellar open source
project by how it is being run but it is failing to attract open source
communities as users based on technical merits. Most of the remaining
users are running their Subversion servers behind closed doors.
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
Graham,

On 5/8/23 05:29, Graham Leggett via dev wrote:
> On 04 May 2023, at 09:34, Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> This is a formal vote on whether we should move our read/write repository from Subversion to Git.
>> This means that our latest read/write repository will be no longer available via svn.apache.org. It
>> will be available via Git at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd-site.git and https://github.com/apache/httpd.git.
>> Github also offers the possibility to use a Subversion client:
>> https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/working-with-subversion-on-github/support-for-subversion-clients
>>

>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
>> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't want to work with Github and I will only work with
>> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
>> [X]: Leave everything as is.
>
> I would rather see proper SVN integration with Github. This is a vote of no confidence in our own projects.

I don't see it as an anti-NIH vote or anything like that.

git simply has a bunch of superior features, behaviors, etc. that
Subversion simply will never have, regardless of any commitment of their
development team. Sure, the svn team could replicate git, but since git
already exists, why not use it?

-chris
Re: [VOTE] Switch read/write repository from Subversion to Git [ In reply to ]
> [x]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git and leverage
> the features of Github (for now Actions and PR).
> [ ]: Move the read/write repository from Subversion to Git, but I don't
> want to work with Github and I will only work with
> what gitbox.apache.org offers.
> [ ]: Leave everything as is.

1 2  View All