how much sense it would make to add it to 2.4.x as another support binary?

From the man page:

The a2md utility can be used to configure and update managed domains
with the mod_md module for Apache HTTP Server. Managed Domains are
virtual hosts which automatically obtain and renew TLS certificates from
an ACME server.

Is it ready for prime time? Would it interact with a custom build of
httpd (layout might differ from distros)? What's the expectation?

Thanks and regards,

Rainer
Re: Adding a2md to httpd sources? [ In reply to ]
> Am 07.04.2022 um 13:04 schrieb Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de>:
>
> Hi there,
>
> during my experiments with the nice pytest based test suite against 2.4.x I noticed, that many mod_md tests need "a2md". The sources for this commandline tool ar in Stefan's GitHub repos for mod_md, but not inside the httpd 2.4.x source tree.
>
> I have not really checked, what a2md exactly does, but was wondering, how much sense it would make to add it to 2.4.x as another support binary?
>
> From the man page:
>
> The a2md utility can be used to configure and update managed domains with the mod_md module for Apache HTTP Server. Managed Domains are virtual hosts which automatically obtain and renew TLS certificates from an ACME server.
>
> Is it ready for prime time? Would it interact with a custom build of httpd (layout might differ from distros)? What's the expectation?

Some distros, who package from the github repro, seem to include a2md, but I have not yet heard any questions or feedback from anyone about it. We excluded it in the httpd build as, if I remember correctly, no one was around to make the cmake and Windows builds for it.

Looking back, I do not see the need to a2md any longer. All can and should be configured in httpd's config files and information readout is available via the common status handlers and mod_md's own JSON status handler.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: Adding a2md to httpd sources? [ In reply to ]
?
Agree no need for it anymore.

Ps.
You wrote:
I have not yet heard any questions or feedback from anyone about it….If I remember correctly, no one was around to make the cmake and Windows builds for it.

I had given feedback and was able to build it on windows in 2017. In the beginning some crashes, but Stefan solved.

Re: Adding a2md to httpd sources? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all feedback. So no need to integrate.

Note that the 2.4.x pytest suite still makes heavy use of it when
testing mod_md.

Thanks and regards,

Rainer

Re: Adding a2md to httpd sources? [ In reply to ]
> Am 08.04.2022 um 12:01 schrieb Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de>:
>
> Thanks for all feedback. So no need to integrate.
>
> Note that the 2.4.x pytest suite still makes heavy use of it when testing mod_md.

Yes, I think I should clean those up to avoid confusion for anyone reading it. But who expects other people to read their test code, you know? ;)