Opinions on a directive that allows to set this explicitly with a default of the timeout setting of a virtual server?

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: Separate beam timeout in mod_http2? [ In reply to ]
> Am 22.09.2021 um 17:30 schrieb Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org>:
>
> Currently we use the timeout setting of a virtual server hardcoded as the beam timeout.
> While I think that this is a good default I have situations where I think it would be beneficial to set this timeout separately.
> Opinions on a directive that allows to set this explicitly with a default of the timeout setting of a virtual server?

I think I have to bring over my github branch "icing/pipes" into trunk soon.

That is a thing that is fixed there. It sets the timeout of the request_rec->server on the beams. I think this is what we want. Or do you foresee a special need here for h2 requests to be configured?

- Stefan
Re: Separate beam timeout in mod_http2? [ In reply to ]
On 9/22/21 5:41 PM, stefan@eissing.org wrote:

>> Am 22.09.2021 um 17:30 schrieb Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org>:
>>
>> Currently we use the timeout setting of a virtual server hardcoded as the beam timeout.
>> While I think that this is a good default I have situations where I think it would be beneficial to set this timeout separately.
>> Opinions on a directive that allows to set this explicitly with a default of the timeout setting of a virtual server?
>
> I think I have to bring over my github branch "icing/pipes" into trunk soon.
>
> That is a thing that is fixed there. It sets the timeout of the request_rec->server on the beams. I think this is what we want. Or do you foresee a special need here for h2 requests to be configured?

I would like to configure it separately. I see a use case where we have a blocking write on socket side, because we have a slow
client and multiple streams on the h2 TCP connection that I give the single streams / tasks more time to beam things to the master
connection. In an ideal case I could configure this timeout on location / if level, but being able to do this on virtual host
level would be already very helpful.

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: Separate beam timeout in mod_http2? [ In reply to ]
On 9/22/21 6:14 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 9/22/21 5:41 PM, stefan@eissing.org wrote:
>>
>>> Am 22.09.2021 um 17:30 schrieb Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Currently we use the timeout setting of a virtual server hardcoded as the beam timeout.
>>> While I think that this is a good default I have situations where I think it would be beneficial to set this timeout separately.
>>> Opinions on a directive that allows to set this explicitly with a default of the timeout setting of a virtual server?
>>
>> I think I have to bring over my github branch "icing/pipes" into trunk soon.
>>
>> That is a thing that is fixed there. It sets the timeout of the request_rec->server on the beams. I think this is what we want. Or do you foresee a special need here for h2 requests to be configured?
>
> I would like to configure it separately. I see a use case where we have a blocking write on socket side, because we have a slow
> client and multiple streams on the h2 TCP connection that I give the single streams / tasks more time to beam things to the master
> connection. In an ideal case I could configure this timeout on location / if level, but being able to do this on virtual host
> level would be already very helpful.

Something like https://github.com/icing/mod_h2/pull/221 ?

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: Separate beam timeout in mod_http2? [ In reply to ]
> Am 24.09.2021 um 12:05 schrieb Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org>:

>>> I think I have to bring over my github branch "icing/pipes" into trunk soon.
>>>
>>> That is a thing that is fixed there. It sets the timeout of the request_rec->server on the beams. I think this is what we want. Or do you foresee a special need here for h2 requests to be configured?
>>
>> I would like to configure it separately. I see a use case where we have a blocking write on socket side, because we have a slow
>> client and multiple streams on the h2 TCP connection that I give the single streams / tasks more time to beam things to the master
>> connection. In an ideal case I could configure this timeout on location / if level, but being able to do this on virtual host
>> level would be already very helpful.
>>

> Something like https://github.com/icing/mod_h2/pull/221 ?

I commented on the PR, so we can have the discussion there.