Mailing List Archive

docker rate limits (was Re: Errored: apache/httpd#1362 (trunk - 5c3a2e5))
Now being hit by the docker hub rate limiting. :(

latest: Pulling from library/memcached
library/memcached
toomanyrequests: You have reached your pull rate limit. You may increase the limit by authenticating and upgrading: https://www.docker.com/increase-rate-limit

Is anybody aware, is there an ASF/docker deal to work around this? I
heard the Docker's OSS program had some quite unpleasant marketing
buy-in for projects.

(Plan b is to move to quay.io and non-ubuntu images I guess.)

Regards, Joe

Re: docker rate limits (was Re: Errored: apache/httpd#1362 (trunk - 5c3a2e5)) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:17 PM Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:

> Now being hit by the docker hub rate limiting. :(

Yeah, I saw that..

> latest: Pulling from library/memcached
> library/memcached
> toomanyrequests: You have reached your pull rate limit. You may increase the limit by authenticating and upgrading: https://www.docker.com/increase-rate-limit
>
> Is anybody aware, is there an ASF/docker deal to work around this? I
> heard the Docker's OSS program had some quite unpleasant marketing
> buy-in for projects.

I added a comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21197
to ask infra.
I'm not sure, looking at several related tickets on jira, whether
there is a solution or not (looks like there isn't), nor how those
limits apply (per project, whole asf?).

> (Plan b is to move to quay.io and non-ubuntu images I guess.)

I'm fine with redhat images too personally, can the httpd project have
an un/reasonably limited account easily?

Regards;
Yann.
Re: docker rate limits (was Re: Errored: apache/httpd#1362 (trunk - 5c3a2e5)) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 01:45:37PM +0100, Yann Ylavic wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:17 PM Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Is anybody aware, is there an ASF/docker deal to work around this? I
> > heard the Docker's OSS program had some quite unpleasant marketing
> > buy-in for projects.
>
> I added a comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21197
> to ask infra.
> I'm not sure, looking at several related tickets on jira, whether
> there is a solution or not (looks like there isn't), nor how those
> limits apply (per project, whole asf?).

Thanks Yann. Maybe if we can push private images under the /apache
docker repository that would work for testing? A big PITA still
compared to pulling public images freely.

> > (Plan b is to move to quay.io and non-ubuntu images I guess.)
>
> I'm fine with redhat images too personally, can the httpd project have
> an un/reasonably limited account easily?

I've asked exactly that internally, will report back.

Regards, Joe
Re: docker rate limits (was Re: Errored: apache/httpd#1362 (trunk - 5c3a2e5)) [ In reply to ]

Good news, I'm informed there is no pull rate limiting at quay.io.