Mailing List Archive

Your project's website
Hi:

I am part of the Infrastructure team, and am writing to ask whether your
project is still using the Apache CMS for your project website. As you
know, the CMS is reaching end-of-life, and we need projects to move their
websites onto a different option within the next few weeks.

There are several alternatives available, including those listed on this
page [1] on managing project websites. Infra is assembling a Wiki page [2]
on migrating a website from the CMS, and is looking forward to helping
projects with this transition.

Please let me know whether your site is still on the Apache CMS and, if so,
who will be the project point-of-contact with Infra for the migration.

Thank you!

[1] https://infra.apache.org/project-site.html

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Migrate+your+project+website+from+the+Apache+CMS

--
Andrew Wetmore
Technical Writer-Editor

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Re: Your project's website [ In reply to ]
On 05/08/2020 14.17, Andrew Wetmore wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am part of the Infrastructure team, and am writing to ask whether your
> project is still using the Apache CMS for your project website. As you
> know, the CMS is reaching end-of-life, and we need projects to move
> their websites onto a different option within the next few weeks.
>
> There are several alternatives available, including those listed on this
> page [1] on managing project websites. Infra is assembling a Wiki page
> [2] on migrating a website from the CMS, and is looking forward to
> helping projects with this transition.
>
> Please let me know whether your site is still on the Apache CMS and, if
> so, who will be the project point-of-contact with Infra for the migration.
>
> Thank you!

We do use it, and it *should* be trivial for us to switch to something
like pelican instead, for the main site (docs are another thing
entirely). While I'll be happy to assist with that, I don't want to put
on too many hats here, so if someone would volunteer to be the liaison,
that would be wonderful.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Your project's website [ In reply to ]
Hi:

Any progress finding someone to handle the site migration? Initial steps
include:

- deciding what technology to move to, either Pelican, Hugo, GitHub Pages
or some other static site generator
- recording a formal PMC decision to make the move
- opening a Jira ticket for INFRA to help us track what we need to do to
facilitate the move.

Thanks!

Andrew

Re: Your project's website [ In reply to ]
Hi, all:

Any progress on the site migration? Is there a Jira ticket for tracking
this work?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Re: Your project's website [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'll try to give a look at Pelican to see what I can get out of it.
I agree with Daniel that it shouldn't be to difficult. But it may take
some time to install/test/tweak the site as I've never used Pelican before.

Moreover, we have some scripts that update the CMS when we make a
release that will need some attention too.

CJ

Re: Your project's website [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I have something that seems to work pretty well on my machine.

The main steps done so far are:

   - install pelican

   - move, as-is, the content of the old CMS into the content/pages/
directory of pelican

   - rename .mdtext files into .md files
     find . -name '*.mdtext' -exec sh -c 'mv "$0" "${0%.mdtext}.md"' {} \;

   - copy the 'simple' template from pelican

   - tweak the base.html and page.html from this template

   - move some css and images in the static/css and static/images
directories of the theme template

   - move the the 'navigation.mdtext' from the template directory of
the old CMS to the content/pages/ directory in order to keep its
markdown syntax
    (I've not been able to use Markdown within the template, and I've
adapted the solution proposed in
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60759348/how-to-include-a-markdown-file-in-index-html)

   - make some tweak here and there (the {.centered} in the main
index.md file doesn't work the same for exemple)

Still need some testing but the result is visually the same for what
have looked at.

To be continued.

CJ

Re: Your project's website [ In reply to ]
This is good to hear.

Is there a Jira ticket where you all are tracking progress?

Re: Your project's website [ In reply to ]
Hi, and happy New Year.

Is there any further progress on migrating the project website?

Andrew